Old 02-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #1
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
painted coolant/water and fuel hoses

So many boats that I have looked at have had there engine detailed and painted. In that process all the hoses get painted also. I hate that because it makes it difficult to see the condition and age of the hose. My question though, is there anything wrong with doing this other than what I have mentioned? Does it cause any harm or decrease the life of the hose?
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
Guru

I can't answer with fact other than the brand new Cummins 6BTA that I repowered my old Mainship with came from the factory with painted hoses.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Some manufacturers paint the hoses with the engine when built. I prefer to have them not painted, but if I were going to paint them, I would make sure the paint was compatible with the hoses first. To my way of thinking, hoses are cheap. When buying a boat of more than 7 years old, I would plan on replacing all the engine hoses, hose clamps, fan belts, thermostat fresh water pump, rebuild the raw water pump, and coolant. If you can do the work yourself, it's 2 or 3 hundred dollars will cover the cost per engine and give you peace on mind.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
Guru

This is what I have been slowly working on. My high pressure fuel hoses are the blue type I believe made by Parker. I have 11 on each engine. DD 6V92. I think the cost of these per engine is about 1K per engine. Is there a better source for fuel hoses that would be more reasonable? Looks like all of these fuel hoses need to be crimped with a press which requires me to send them out for rebuild.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Does anybody use reusable type fittings for fuel hose . The reusable fittings take a special hose . Just wondering if it makes sense to go this way .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
It would save money I'm sure to go the re-usable (field installed) fittings and make your own. We stock our service vans with the correct hose for high pressure LP supply hoses and the matching 1/4" NPT and swivel SAE fittings. I'm pretty sure these are the type fittings used on the Detroits. There is a blue hose rated for marine use I had our hose vendor order for me a while back. The fittings are available from a couple of our suppliers. Assembly is pretty basic. Cut hose to length, we use a chop saw. You can also secure the hose in a vice and use a hacksaw with the blade installed backwards. After the cut, use air pressure or brake cleaner to clean out hose. ️Mount the outer shell of the fitting in a vice and then screw the hose into it- left hand thread, coming from the bottom. I twist the hose until you see the ID beginning to collapse/ reduce in size. Take the "insert", dip the tapered end in grease (not much) for a lubricant. I use the box end of a 3/4" wrench to screw it down clockwise till snug. If anyone is interested I could put a quick "how to" together with some pics. I can also provide the name of a vendor to source the fittings (non marine).

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 02-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
Guru

That would be great if you have the time to do it. I would really appreciate it.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
I fully agree with prevented maintenance, but in the case of fuel lines, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
When is the last time you replaced the fuel lines in your car?
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
I fully agree with prevented maintenance, but in the case of fuel lines, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
When is the last time you replaced the fuel lines in your car?
Most people aren't buying 15 to 30 year old cars. Also, a fuel leak in you boat would be a much bigger mess to contend with.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
Guru

City: gulf coast
several reasons for makers painting everything. They paint the engine for original intended use such as trucks then paint it again after all marinization stuff is added, in a special shop, often a different color. A genny maker buys a painted engine hooks up his genny then paints the whole thing one color to give the appearance he makes all the parts.

OTOH boat detailers in so Fl seem to send some kid into the ER with a spray gun full of primer and turn him loose.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Good detailers wrap hoses with tinfoil before painting.

I don't think paint harms the hoses. I just changed the original hoses on my 450 Cummins, they were 15yrs old and I was already in there cleaning coolers. The old hoses seemed to be mostly ok, and had original paint on them.

I think checking hoses for condition gives you decent confidence, I don't see a need to do wholesale replacement. Mine could have gone maybe another ten years.

All the hoses I've seen that failed would have flunked a "feel" test- Soft, swollen, oozing, etc. had been present before failure. Very few hoses that look good and feel good suddenly fail.

No fan of mid life engine painting. In a boat a good job can't be done. Rather see a well cared for engine with inferior paint.

And don't wash engines!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
I get ya here! My green monster (repowered in 2002) is ALL green!

Old 02-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #13
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
...To my way of thinking, hoses are cheap. When buying a boat of more than 7 years old, I would plan on replacing all the engine hoses, hose clamps, fan belts, thermostat fresh water pump, rebuild the raw water pump, and coolant. If you can do the work yourself, it's 2 or 3 hundred dollars will cover the cost per engine and give you peace on mind.

Ted
I definitely agree with this and am in the process of doing this right now on my new to me boat. (Everything looks original) Don't forget to check/clean/replace heat exchangers and change the oil lines going to remote filters and coolers! Some of the hoses on my engines just look old and some look like they could fail any day. The rubber fuel lines are all stiff and visibly cracked. They don't leak now but I think think I would be foolish to cruise blissfully along until they did start leaking.
After going through all the hoses, pumps, filters and coolers, I'll know I have a reliable setup. Of course I carry spares of just about everything but if something is obviously old/worn I'm going to change it on my schedule - not have to stop in the middle of cruise to change it or worse - have some engine damage result because an oil hose or water line blew.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Good detailers wrap hoses with tinfoil before painting.

I don't think paint harms the hoses. I just changed the original hoses on my 450 Cummins, they were 15yrs old and I was already in there cleaning coolers. The old hoses seemed to be mostly ok, and had original paint on them.

I think checking hoses for condition gives you decent confidence, I don't see a need to do wholesale replacement. Mine could have gone maybe another ten years.

All the hoses I've seen that failed would have flunked a "feel" test- Soft, swollen, oozing, etc. had been present before failure. Very few hoses that look good and feel good suddenly fail.

No fan of mid life engine painting. In a boat a good job can't be done. Rather see a well cared for engine with inferior paint.

And don't wash engines!!
Right on Ski!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
ABYC has some funny conceptions of push lock hose and fittings...if you give a darn of that debatable organization....check their opinion on push lock fittings and hose.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
That would be great if you have the time to do it. I would really appreciate it.

Yessir ️Roger. Let me get something together.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 02-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #17
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
It would save money I'm sure to go the re-usable (field installed) fittings and make your own. We stock our service vans with the correct hose for high pressure LP supply hoses and the matching 1/4" NPT and swivel SAE fittings. I'm pretty sure these are the type fittings used on the Detroits. There is a blue hose rated for marine use I had our hose vendor order for me a while back. The fittings are available from a couple of our suppliers. Assembly is pretty basic. Cut hose to length, we use a chop saw. You can also secure the hose in a vice and use a hacksaw with the blade installed backwards. After the cut, use air pressure or brake cleaner to clean out hose. ️Mount the outer shell of the fitting in a vice and then screw the hose into it- left hand thread, coming from the bottom. I twist the hose until you see the ID beginning to collapse/ reduce in size. Take the "insert", dip the tapered end in grease (not much) for a lubricant. I use the box end of a 3/4" wrench to screw it down clockwise till snug. If anyone is interested I could put a quick "how to" together with some pics. I can also provide the name of a vendor to source the fittings (non marine).

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

For hose they used Aeroquip in our boat.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I`ve never seen hoses painted on a new engine. Or an old one, except where someone wanted to tart it up quickly. My genset had the treatment when a PO apparently bought it as a reman from an Onan agent, though it seems to cause no issue, I don`t like it.
If someone preparing a boat for sale is too lazy to mask the hoses before respraying the engine, I think that says something about their maintenance. Reminds me of the nick name "Mudguard" (USA=Fender). Shiny clean on top, total mess underneath.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #19
Guru

N4712, I'm at the boat now and hoped to make out some numbers on the fuel hose I installed a few years ago- but it's too faint. I do know it is 3/8 ID.
In theory, as a hose fails, the idea is to install new hose and build the assembly with the salvaged ends and it can often be done. This could limit stock on your boat to a roll of the hose and a small selection of fittings in case you needed one.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 02-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I`ve never seen hoses painted on a new engine. Or an old one, except where someone wanted to tart it up quickly. My genset had the treatment when a PO apparently bought it as a reman from an Onan agent, though it seems to cause no issue, I don`t like it.
If someone preparing a boat for sale is too lazy to mask the hoses before respraying the engine, I think that says something about their maintenance. Reminds me of the nick name "Mudguard" (USA=Fender). Shiny clean on top, total mess underneath.

Ditto here. Have some pride and grab the aluminum foil !

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️