Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Mark,
Looks like you're going 8 knots in the pic.
Nope, that's 6.3 knots (1800 RPM). That was too slow for Ray's two-engined GB42 so he sped up and left me in his wake. Remember, the Coot shoves rather than slices the water aside.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
For me its not single or twin, but the engines rating, reliability, service/parts 24/7 of the engine. The only reason I bought the Eagle being single engine is that it has a DD 671, which is/was one of the most popular, servicable/parts, and rated engines. There are some engines I would not have in a twin engine much less a single engine as the rating, reliability sevice/parts are not there. Then if the engines are not maintained on a regular bases that adds/compounds the non reliability.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:

Marin,
Hull speed is NOT the best speed for economy.

Read the sentence again.... "If hull speed (or preferably slightly below hull speed) is what you want for maximum economy then one engine in a boat like a GB36 is the way to go."
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
your thoughts say pretty much what my calculations have taught me. I've never been into wasting a non renewable resource unneccessarily even back when fuel was 35 cents per gallon. I always had a desire to save some for future generations.
Sorry, but my BS detector just went off!

Anyone who gets into a boat and goes nowhere and back is "wasting a non renewable resource unneccessarily". Even if you go someplace, stay for a while,and return home in a boat you are wasting non renewable resources. If you really want to conserve resources, you will stay home or at least take the train or carpool.

Say you want to cut costs or fuel consumption for your own benefit and that's fine. Say you're doing it for the environment or "future generations" and it's BS.

Nothing personal, that's just the way it is.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
or at least take the train or carpool.

Say you want to cut costs or fuel consumption for your own benefit and that's fine. Say you're doing it for the environment or "future generations" and it's BS.
Pffft! Walk or ride a bike if you're THAT concerned.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Ahhhh...

Oops, sorry. Made in China.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

RTF-- I assume this is the galley-down model?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. Marin. Nope, galley UP as evidenced by the yellow facility just forward of the captain's hands. It is, though, head down.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

Ahhh--- I hadn't realized that's what that was. I thought it was the box for storing your anchor rode.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #30
Enigma

Greetings,
Hah! Shows how much YOU know about Chinese boats!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Wok! Wok!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #32
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I am re-powering my OA 50 at present. It came with twin Cummins 270 HP, although some boats were also sold with FL 120's. The latter are often regarded as underpowered. I think the Cummins was way overpowered. Or actually, at a silly midpoint - too much for displacement cruising, and not enough for planing on the semi-displacement hull. The hull would need around 850 HP to plane well based on calculators I've used. So I chose to repower halfway between the FL 120's and the Cummins 270's. I am putting in JD 201 HP's. It is still overpowered by factor of 2. Seems to me that having that 'reserve power' is prudent. You don't have to use it, and I expect that I seldom will.

I would be quite happy with just one engine, so I had the yard cost out changing to a single 400 HP. It was more expensive than the new twins. Part of the problem is I would need new shaft log and rudder, gearbox, shaft and prop, and need to remove and fair the existing shaft logs and rudder areas. Also, the large single engine was very pricey. By staying with carefully chosen twins I can retain my old gears (but reconditioned them) and props.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #33
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
bfloyd4445,
If you want 2 gph and a 40' boat you need a full disp boat. Like a Krogen 42 or a Willard 40.
willards are sailboat hulls turned into trawlers in my opinion after looking at one. They have all the disadvantages of a sailboat and none of the advantages in my opinion.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Sorry, but my BS detector just went off!

Anyone who gets into a boat and goes nowhere and back is "wasting a non renewable resource unneccessarily". Even if you go someplace, stay for a while,and return home in a boat you are wasting non renewable resources. If you really want to conserve resources, you will stay home or at least take the train or carpool.

Nothing personal, that's just the way it is.
not true. One of the reasons i have always used fuel carefully is that i want to have it for fun things like cruiseing. Cruiseing is good for one mental health and so in that respect it is money well spent. Driving a large suv like you are on a race track commuting back and forth to work alone is a despicable was of fuel. Enjoying a leisure crusie in the islands of fishing is a much much better way to use fuel dont you think?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #35
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Quote:
willards are sailboat hulls turned into trawlers in my opinion after looking at one. They have all the disadvantages of a sailboat and none of the advantages in my opinion.

I dont think putting a mast and sails on a 30 or 40 willard will give any the same effect as a sail boat.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I am re-powering my OA 50 at present. It came with twin Cummins 270 HP, although some boats were also sold with FL 120's. The latter are often regarded as underpowered. I think the Cummins was way overpowered. Or actually, at a silly midpoint - too much for displacement cruising, and not enough for planing on the semi-displacement hull. The hull would need around 850 HP to plane well based on calculators I've used. So I chose to repower halfway between the FL 120's and the Cummins 270's. I am putting in JD 201 HP's. It is still overpowered by factor of 2. Seems to me that having that 'reserve power' is prudent. You don't have to use it, and I expect that I seldom will.

I would be quite happy with just one engine, so I had the yard cost out changing to a single 400 HP. It was more expensive than the new twins. Part of the problem is I would need new shaft log and rudder, gearbox, shaft and prop, and need to remove and fair the existing shaft logs and rudder areas. Also, the large single engine was very pricey. By staying with carefully chosen twins I can retain my old gears (but reconditioned them) and props.
good choice. Your fuel costs will be slightly more most likely but the engine will live longer and will have that reserve for heavy seas. I've played with the numbers for years and for fuel economy its a small engine but the down side is it dosent live as long cause its workin hard.
I have an old tractor rated at 29hp at 2000 that i run at 16-1800. At that rpm u cant stop the thing it will just keep ploughing ahead even if ahead is a blackberry forest 12 feet tall. Its an old ford with a zillion hours on it and it just keeps going. I would love to see what that engine would do in a boat. The old lehmans remind me of that engine except they are 6 cylinders and this one is three. I can do 40 acres in a day then fill up with maybe 3=4 gallons of D. Tank only holds maybe 5.5
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #37
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Except the big one you are worried about...they are very economical under power as well...

don't even talk about tractors here....you might as well be talking about the now defunct space shuttle program, it's engines and what kind of fuel economy and longevity they had...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #38
Enigma

Greetings,
Well, MY space shuttle.......
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Except the big one you are worried about...they are very economical under power as well...

don't even talk about tractors here....you might as well be talking about the now defunct space shuttle program, it's engines and what kind of fuel economy and longevity they had...
sorry if i ofended you
but the fact is many of the engines in our boats are tractor engines
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #40
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
bfloyd

Willards have quite a following from some pretty bright guys. I'd never confuse them with a sail boat but then again I don't have 29 hp tractor experiences to draw from.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote