Outboard Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Somewhere in the middle of all that there was a lawsuit between Merc and Yamaha over those powerheads!
So how is the engine running?

Seems fine now. Time will tell.

BB - You seem to have really good inroad to several levels of marine manufacturing/building/sales facts. Can you provide what/where/who was manufacturing the following circa Johnsons!

Damn good engines!! I really like and have good luck with 1970's Johnson O/B's.

Thanks!

Art

It's my understanding OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) was building their own back at that time, although I'm not sure. I don't think all the farming out started in volume until four stroke outboards.

Overheat

It does not take much to clog a passageway inside these small engines. A little mud & shell mixed with some jelly-like sea creature will do it and with typical dinghy use, one can occasionally run the low water intake through sand or mud and pick something up. As John Prine says, "Same thing happened to me". (But mine was a '95 Johnson 88 hp SPL....a very simple engine but I fished shallow and I got a clog in an elbow up high). The stuff was like concrete...

Seems fine now. Time will tell.

As others had said, the Yamaha head is not a disadvantage. My Celica GT4 turbo-charged, AWD car is Toyota through and through, but the brilliant 4 valve per cylinder, fuel injected head, is from Yamaha. Must have been a good reason.
:D

But, what was the trouble proven to be in the end, or is that still a mystery..?
:confused:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom