Old 03-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #41
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Like most businesses, Mercury survives on the quality reputation of their product and they have been in the OB business longer than I can remember. I have seen a lot of Mercury's 40 and 50 years old still running along. Like most engines, gas and diesel, proper maintenance and lack of abuse figures into the equation. There are people who love them and people that hate them like almost all other mechanical items. It's like loving Chevy's and hating Ford's.
I hear what you're saying, often people take unfounded likes and dislikes to products.

Just have a look at this survey of ' iconic' brand names; surprising!

Who Makes the Most Reliable Motorcycle? - Consumer Report
Old 03-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #42
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Any gauge with matching sensor will work. Any automotive supply store will have what you need. You can spend as much as as little as you want.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #43
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
In addition to Donsan's list of potential problems (post 20), and items mentioned by others... One of the biggest items (that was already mentioned in early post) is weight control regarding COG... for taking unruly seas. As well, I might mention that in addition to your huge COG shift by pulling the inboard engines you will be completely altering the boat's weight ratio design concept by placing much added weight "past" your boat's transom. Boats are designed by navel architects and their weight placements are taken into full consideration for hull design as well as superstructure layout.

In addition to boat design weight-ratio mix-ups... I can see outboards becoming huge expense, very difficult to get installed properly, problematic for cruising, and a complete killer for resale.

IMO - Two least expensive alternatives you have: 1. Find someone who can actually restore your existing engines. 2. Rip out the old diesels and install gasoline engines. Or... Sell that boat and buy another.

Unfortunately, no matter what you decide to do... you have MANY "Boat-Bucks" in expense ahead.

Good Luck!! and Happy Boat-Repower Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
In addition to Donsan's list of potential problems (post 20), and items mentioned by others... One of the biggest items (that was already mentioned in early post) is weight control regarding COG... for taking unruly seas. As well, I might mention that in addition to your huge COG shift by pulling the inboard engines you will be completely altering the boat's weight ratio design concept by placing much added weight "past" your boat's transom. Boats are designed by navel architects and their weight placements are taken into full consideration for hull design as well as superstructure layout.

In addition to boat design weight-ratio mix-ups... I can see outboards becoming huge expense, very difficult to get installed properly, problematic for cruising, and a complete killer for resale.

IMO - Two least expensive alternatives you have: 1. Find someone who can actually restore your existing engines. 2. Rip out the old diesels and install gasoline engines. Or... Sell that boat and buy another.

Unfortunately, no matter what you decide to do... you have MANY "Boat-Bucks" in expense ahead.

Good Luck!! and Happy Boat-Repower Daze! - Art
You hit it well and the reason I said I'd never modify in this way. If you wanted to then what you should do is hire a naval architect to design and consider all the factors. Obviously no one is going to, but you've changed the boat in a big way and tossed the original design out the window and you have no idea what you're going to end up with.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #45

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Shellbourne
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Perkins T6.354
Yeah, it could work. I keep a small outboard on-board for my dingy, and have bracket I can attach to my swim step to mount the outboard in case I need to use the outboard to move my mainship if my single diesel were to fail. Only works in the mildest of conditions. Of course you're talking about a totally different situation.

From a resale perspective I'd say a pair a well maintained outboards hold their value pretty well. Down the road you might find yourself selling the outboards and practically giving away the hull.

From a handling perspective I'd be concerned about the keel. Your turning-moment is much farther aft and the keel is going to act against you, so it will effectively tilt you out. Too much on the back side of a wave and bad things could happen. Especially since you've removed 4,000 pounds of ballast (it was a twin diesel right). So your center of gravity is higher.

The other concern would be pulling back hard on the throttle and your wake catching up to you - it could swamp your outboards.

But you sure would have a lot of maneuverability - especially if you had that joystick control system.
R_p_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #46
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I took a ride through Indiantown, FL today and stopped at the marina....always interesting. Maybe someone recognizes this 32 or so trawler with a full keel and skeg, but now with the shaft log plugged and glassed over, and a jack plate added for an outboard. Pretty nice looking boat and a good candidate for the outboard trawler. I didn't get out to check, but she looks like wood.
Attached Thumbnails
profile.jpg   forward quarter.jpg   keel and jackplate.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #47

City: Kl
Vessel Name: Sea paradise
Vessel Model: 40+3 hiptimco marine. Ed monk
Hi thanks for the pics. Was just wondering whether a 24 diameter prop with 21" pitch connected to a 3:1 gearbox turning at around 1700rpm will give the same thrust as an outboard prop 16" diameter 13" pitch connected to a 2.5:1 gear turning around 3000rpm
IanPereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:35 AM   #48
FF
Guru

This book will answer your question. Probably at a college library .

Skene's Elements of Yacht Design, Eighth Edition: Francis S ...

www.amazon.com › ... › Water Sports

Amazon.com, Inc.

Skene's Elements of Yacht Design, Eighth Edition [Francis S. Kinney] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Eighth Edition, m Fifth printing, ...
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #49
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
This book will answer your question. Probably at a college library .

Skene's Elements of Yacht Design, Eighth Edition: Francis S ...

www.amazon.com › ... › Water Sports

Amazon.com, Inc.

Skene's Elements of Yacht Design, Eighth Edition [Francis S. Kinney] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Eighth Edition, m Fifth printing, ...
Fred - Thanks for the tip. You review it? Does it delve heavily into D, SD, and P hull designs?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Northville NY
I apologise up front for my inexperience but what would be the cost to replace the existing diesel engine with a comperable new or refurbished engine?
adk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #51
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Here is one concept....

Still a little houseboat origin...but certainly can be even further modified.
Attached Thumbnails
20160408_093818_resized.jpg   20160408_093843_resized.jpg  
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #52
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Here is one concept....

Still a little houseboat origin...but certainly can be even further modified.
That reminds me of this Dutch design , available as a kit in precut steel.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #53
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I took a ride through Indiantown, FL today and stopped at the marina....always interesting. Maybe someone recognizes this 32 or so trawler with a full keel and skeg, but now with the shaft log plugged and glassed over, and a jack plate added for an outboard. Pretty nice looking boat and a good candidate for the outboard trawler. I didn't get out to check, but she looks like wood.
Larry,
An interesting boat indeed.
An OB will drive that boat fine w very little power.
But w that FD rocker the prop will come out of the water rather easily on seas. But for flatwater a great combination of boat and power.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk1 View Post
I apologise up front for my inexperience but what would be the cost to replace the existing diesel engine with a comperable new or refurbished engine?
Does anyone have an idea??
Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #55
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
It is complicated due to the numerous combinations and permutations involved.

For example, does boat have a generator? Hydraulic steering? Autopilot? Single engine? What HP is involved? You question is really too vague to take a stab at.

If you really want an outboard powered trawler, take a long hard look at the TT35 from Great Harbour. It is trailerable to boot.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
It is complicated due to the numerous combinations and permutations involved.

For example, does boat have a generator? Hydraulic steering? Autopilot? Single engine? What HP is involved? You question is really too vague to take a stab at.

If you really want an outboard powered trawler, take a long hard look at the TT35 from Great Harbour. It is trailerable to boot.
No, your answer was perfect for me. I indicated that I am inexperienced and what you just informed me is good information for me to have.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #57
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk1 View Post
Does anyone have an idea??
It's only a guess, but it's a figure I use to justify maintenance and keep me from doing anything stupid: $25,000.

It's going to vary a bit depending on the engine. And of course if it's not a direct replacement, the cost could be quite higher.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #58
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
It's not really a trawler but it's outboard powered:

Seen on the Potomac River near Washington DC. It belongs to the US Army so I guess it doesn't matter how the fuel mileage is.
Attached Thumbnails
Chesapeake 018.jpg  
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #59
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post

Seen on the Potomac River near Washington DC. It belongs to the US Army so I guess it doesn't matter how the fuel mileage is.
Well that sums it up like nothing else can.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #60
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post

Must really sing a song w all those engines slightly out of sync.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote