Old 07-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #21

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
RE: Our Cummins is sick.......

While there might be a shortage of boat diesel mechanics in your area, I bet there are some good Cummins mechanics with a trucking company nearby. Helps if you know someone. I have called on truck mechanic near me (his boat has a Cummins like mine) and been well served.

bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Sounds like a compressed air hose from your turbo is leaking. I have seen the clamps blow off. Especially when they get old and the rubber shrinks.

Do you have a boost gauge? If so then that will give you and answer on lossing boost, If not then you have to look at the system and see if you have burst or leaking hose.

good luck.

MauleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If you did not mention the oil level going up I would have thought you lost a seal on the turbo. This usually happens on equipment where the air filter is allowed to get dirty. This is because the clogged filter causes a suction at the turbo and draws oil past the seal in the turbo. This is diagnosed by removing the hose between the turbo and engine and looking for being soaked in oil.

But you said you are gaining oil. Smell it and feel it. It will most likely smell like diesel and feel thin. When you said it sounded like it was running on five cylinders it made me think that you do have an injector problem. This too can be simple to diagnosed (providing it does not have electronic injectors) by staring the engine and using a wrench to crack open the injector lines one at a time. You engine should lope or miss when you crack the line as if you removed a spark plug wire from a gas engine. The injector that does not cause the engine to miss when the line is open is the bad one.

Other things that can add oil to your engine would be a fuel transfer pump or if you have a hydraulic or power steering pump installed on the engines. But unless it is way over filled with oil I dont think you would know the difference, and the fluid for the pump would be low.

One last thing, dont run the engine long with a crankcase full of diesel oil. It we cause wear on bearings and the cylinders.
cd30ketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

That increase of oil in engine had me wondering. I don't know what kind of lift pump that engine has but I doubt if it is the mechanical diaphram type and even so it would be a double diaphram marine type.

Maybe a bad injector would dump that much fuel into the engine.
MauleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Whatever your problem turns out to be, and the fix, please post it for us Cummins owners to stash away in the memory banks.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #26
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

cd30ketch

"Other things that can add oil to your engine would be a fuel transfer pump."*

-------------------------

I said the same thing. . . *I had a fuel lift pump fail and as they are marine, there is no vent hole and a single diaphragm since they are diesel and not gas. *I also had an exhaust valve lifter come loose, same result except it smoked like a chimney and in both cases loaded the crankcase up with diesel.

Yeah, me too. *I hope he posts what it was.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #27
Guru

Our Cummins is sick.......

The 330 BTA should have a piston type lift pump. Those on a truck are not prone*to failure like the diaphram pumps are.

-- Edited by jleonard on Monday 1st of August 2011 07:43:16 PM
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I failed to mention one other source for diesel in the crankcase and that is the injector pump front seal. The missing on one cylinder points to an injector but if you determine that the injectors are good do yourself a favor and change out the lift pump before spending $$$$ removing and repairing the injector pump.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Thank you for all the tips, guys. While waiting for the Cummins tech. to show up (from Ottawa), I believe I've determined there are no issues with the turbo, aftercooler, valves (checked clearances...all within spec.), no evidence of any blowby, installed a new air cleaner. I'm awaiting the oil analysis (found a very helpful*local truck shop that is a Cummins agent......they are not allowed, however, to make "house calls"). Everything is pointing to an injector issue, which was my "gut" feeling when it happened:*they need to bring those in from the USA hence the delay in the service call. Hopefully she will be up and running by this Sat., when we had planned to head to the thousand island area of the St. Laurence River for*our months holiday.

Again, thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate the support.*I don't have an Internet connection at the marina so rely on the local McDonalds wi-fi. Will post the final outcome.....good or bad!

Nick
tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
jleonard wrote:
The 330 BTA should have a piston type lift pump.
******** Without offending you, how can I confirm that, indeed, the 330B has a pston type lift

******** pump. Are you sure?
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

get the CPL and serial numbers off of the plate on the from left side of the engine. Call you cummins parts dept and they can look it up. Better yet see if they offer that online.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
******** Without offending you, how can I confirm that, indeed, the 330B has a pston type lift

******** pump. Are you sure?

*Somewhere I have some pics of that. Yes, I had one, a 270 version which uses the same Bosch P 7100 series injection pump. Also every P pumped truck has one. Diaphram style doesn't support the flow required for the ponies.*
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Hi all. Turns out it*the only fault was*a totally failed injector on #5cyl. They are the mechanical type so not very expensive ($88 C.)It had failed so badly it had allowed all the fuel in the line above the injector to bleed into the cyl.......all*the others were full.*Needless to say I've added*one to my on-board spares kit. I'll also dissasemble this one to see what failed.

The opportunity to watch the Cummins tech. work on my motor was priceless. He didn't mind being peppered with questions and had a wealth of knowledge about the 6BTA.......his favourite. learned about some things to watch* for, things he has seen fail in the past, and what to do to prevent it. I'll search the forum to make sure they haven't been covered already before I post.

So we're off to the Thousand Islands area Sat. morning, and the boat has a clean bill of health!

Hope you're all having a great season.

Nick
Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #34
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
tachyon wrote:
Hi all. Turns out it*the only fault was*a totally failed injector on #5cyl. They are the mechanical type so not very expensive ($88 C.)It had failed so badly it had allowed all the fuel in the line above the injector to bleed into the cyl.......all*the others were full.*Needless to say I've added*one to my on-board spares kit. I'll also dissasemble this one to see what failed.

The opportunity to watch the Cummins tech. work on my motor was priceless. He didn't mind being peppered with questions and had a wealth of knowledge about the 6BTA.......his favourite. learned about some things to watch* for, things he has seen fail in the past, and what to do to prevent it. I'll search the forum to make sure they haven't been covered already before I post.

So we're off to the Thousand Islands area Sat. morning, and the boat has a clean bill of health!

Hope you're all having a great season.

Nick
*Nick,

Glad it was something simple.* Most of the times it is.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #35
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I'm glad the solution was not too complicated, tell me, did he locate the bad injector by loosening the individual injectors one at a time to locate the one that wasn't firing or some other means?
thanks Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #36
Veteran Member

He actually used two methods: when starting the engine from cold he took temp. readings of the exhaust flanges with a thermal gun.......the one slow to heat up was not firing. He then cracked each high pressure line in turn to confirm. The temp. method was bang-on......one of those nstruments is being added to the on-board toolkit, thats for sure.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #37
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Those thermo guns are useful,
Thanks for the info.
Steve W.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote