Options for active fin stabilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Pete
Second hand feedback, from a guy I was talking to here at Port Townsend. He has Gyro-gale on his DeFever, and had to put some effort into repairing them when he bought the boat. Then after a trip to Alaska he had to repair them again. I don't know what the issue was and whether the first repairs were adequate. I got the impression that he would not choose to install them in another boat, but at the same time he was happy enough with them when they were working. Not sure if this helps much....

Update on status
For my boat it seems that I could get Gyro-gale fitted (in Florida) for about $40k, Naiad fitted in the PNW for $65k, and Seakeeper Gyro for about $75k also in PNW. Seakeeper list price is $89k, but there for the model I would use there was a deal..... Mitsubishi (gyro) haven't returned emails, and need more power than Seakeeper so I haven't chased them further. I also priced ABT TRAC from an Australian supplier. They provided a detailed listing of components ex: California that was $60k. Then there would be freight, 10% GST and fitting.

The Naiad install included customizing in the head to fit on port side, the expensive oil cooling option and fabrication of an engine mounting system for the hydraulic pump as my old TD 506's cant take a pump. Install is about half the total cost. So, will I or wont I? I know they would be great, and make a big difference for crew wanting to share a boating passion. But ... ouch in the hip-pocket!

So did he or didn't he? :confused:

Each system has good and not so good sides.
Seakeeper costs twice as gyrogale but it can be use under anchor with a Gen.
Norbert

I asked what the original poster choose to do. Did he ever get active stabilization and if so which did he select, how much did it cost and how does he like it?

I asked what the original poster choose to do. Did he ever get active stabilization and if so which did he select, how much did it cost and how does he like it?

Ive installed Naiads, with 7.5 sq ft fins. I had a yard do everything for the install, total just over $60,000. I'm having other work done so still on the hard, but will be in the water for sea trials in 5 weeks time.

I will be interested in hearing your results.

I'm still in the boat shopping mode, until I get one or two children out of college and employed. It occurred to me that stabilizers are like houses with swimming pools. It is cheaper to by a boat with them already installed than to add. Unless I'm missing something.

I will be interested in hearing your results.

I'm still in the boat shopping mode, until I get one or two children out of college and employed. It occurred to me that stabilizers are like houses with swimming pools. It is cheaper to by a boat with them already installed than to add. Unless I'm missing something.

That's true for every system on a boat. Given that the PO had it done right, that is.

Back
Top Bottom