Opinion from Next Gen 5.5 owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
I may buy a new gen to replace the 8.0 westerbeke. I want this thread to focus on this specific generator because at this point its size, weight and output are appealing to me, the 2800 rpm not so much. I searched some old threads dating back to around 2010 and some owners had the 5.5 or were considering installing one. So any owners please share your experience with the Next Gen 5.5, dependability, ease of maintenance, how noisy is it with and without the enclosure,what electrical items you can run at 1 time and any other thoughts you care to share. In this thread I don't care to hear recommendations on any other brands as most are to large to fit in the space occupied by the 8.0 btd.

Ron:

I have the single cylinder, 2,800 NextGen 3.5 KW model, so I will limit my comments to quality and how 2,800 rpm works.

NextGen's quality on these little generators is as good as you can get. The generator end is the same on mine as on the 5.0 and is simple, capacitor regulated- not the best but it works.

2,800 rpm is no problem. What is a problem is the number of cylinders. Mine has a putt-putt exhaust sound. The two cylinder 5.0 will not be as bad, but it won't be as good as an 3 cylinder, 1,800 rpm genset.

The enclosure works to dampen the mechanical and intake sounds. The exhaust is what is still loud.

David

I have the 3.5 nextgen as well. Replaced a 3.5 phasor which is essentially the same generator. It's a bit noisy but all of them are to some extent. I'd rather have the AC flowing than worry about noise, plus that thump-thump puts me right to sleep.

I did some work on what I think was the nextgen 5.5. It had a two cylinder Kubota and a belt drive capacitor regulated gen end. Capacitor went bad so it had no AC output. Easy fix, got him going on short order.

Unit was without soundbox mounted in engine room. I recall it being a bit loud and rough. Not horrible, but not the "purr" of the 3cyl 1800rpm machines. This was a fishing boat, they did not care a bit about the noise. But on a trawler where sometimes you have to sleep with gennie on, it would not be top of the list.

But the 8BTD is not the quietest 3cyl either. So if that beast did not bother you, the nextgen might be ok.

Thanks I really appreciate your replies, this is exactly what I was looking for. Right now I have 3 options I'am considering, remove and rebuild my engine, I have located another 8.0 btd that starts and runs like it should but the gen end is bad and last is the Next Gen unit, the lighter weight would help a lot with the squat at the stern. I very seldom run the gen all night the boat is well ventilated with opening windows, port lights and hatches plus mounted 12v fans. The westerbeke has always been pretty dependable, it did use a little oil and always had to spin for a bit to get started. I haven't checked but believe it's low on compression though I never noticed any blow by. Thanks again everyone

Back
Top Bottom