Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Panama City Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Parra-dise
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MY
Onan MDJE Genset

I have an 7.5 kW Onan MDJE genset and the fuel shutoff solenoid is not working. The hold ion coil works but the pull in coil doesnt. If I hold it in manually then it will start fine and stay running till I shut it off. I have tried the dealer and they want $600 for it. Seems a little high.

The solenoid itself is a prestolite*SSC 4003 the onan part number for the kit is 307-2026. Does anyone know of a replacement or cross refference. Does anyone have a used functioning one?
Baypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
RE: Onan MDJE Genset

Since you know the Prestolite # why don't you try find a Prestolite distributor. Just a guess might be NAPA, Prestolite may offer names of distr. in your area.

I have no idea what your setup looks like but if you can find a single coil solenoid that has the power to pull in , with a bit of work you could wire in a resistor that would drop the voltage for the hold in function.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I checked with prestolite and they discontinued it in 2000. They have no cross or replacement.*
Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Guru

http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_produc...&submit=Search

Just for the halibut they did have some infor that it may still be available in the UK operation.

May or may not be worthwhile to contact them.

I'm assuming you've run into a wall through Onan also.

Not knowing the setup makes suggestions difficult but if it is a hangon, rather than built into another piece, it may be possible to adapt another solenoid from a starter motor or similar.
For the hold in function you would need to figure out a resistor that could drop the voltage, maybe to 8.5 at the solenoid and withstand the heat.

Have you talked to a starter motor,or alternator repair shop. They may be able to help. Give them the p/n you have. Although prestolkite may not be helpfull, there are other mfgrs. and maybe there is an alternate that way.

If all that comes to naught, can you (would you consider) rigging a push/pull cable like is sometimes used for throttle controls.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Am surprised no one mentioned it but those things often fail because an internal* solder joint fails from heat and vibration.

Open the thing and see if it can be fixed or if the coil is actually burned, which is easy to determine with a VOM once you have access to the coil itself, rewind it yourself or have a motor shop do it for you.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Will pull it out and check the connections. I will ohm it out and see what resistance I get.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I did have an idea for using a straight solenoid like you sugested. If I use a capacitor in line it will conduct until it reaches full charge. I would have a bypass resistor to provide an alternate path to keep it held in. It may take some tinkering but it may work.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Hi, had the exact same problem on my Onan.* Factory parts were REALLY expensive, but the original manufacturers part number was still on the solenoid, so I began to research a replacement, but like you was told that it was no longer made.** For most of my adult life, when someone tells me something can't be done, had, made or what ever, I refuse to take no for an answer until I hear it from three independent sources.* On my third try (with the same company, different people though) an upgraded replacement was found.* Exact same mounting dimensions and electrical specs.* I'm not sure what the difference was, but it had a different part number, and screw down terminals instead of push on.* Total price was something like $70 or so as I remember, but it was a year ago.* I'd look up the part number for you, but unfortunately it's 1200 miles away.** So, if Rick Bs idea doesn't pan out, try calling the factory again, and ask how to upgrade your old one to a new part number.* If you don't get anywhere, ask for someone in engineering support.* Don't give up, it's out there..................Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Pulled the solenoid and checked the connections no burned wire. cleaned primary coil contacts. Looks like an open in the coil somewhere inside.

On to plan b. Found a couple of trombetta solenoids for about $150 that have dual coils. Size is different so I will have to fabricate a new bracket.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
Baypoint wrote:I will have to fabricate a new bracket.
Is that easier than rewinding the coil?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I will call around to see if anyone will rewind it and how much it costs.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
Guru

Onan MDJE Genset

If you can open the can without destroying the can, you could get some armature wire and likely redo it yourself. A motor or alternator repair shop or some electronics supply stores should be able to help. Just match the wire size.* It's just a bit tedious.

Did this years ago on an engine shutdown solenoid. I felt silly when RickB ??? about doing that as it should have been more obvious to me to at least try it.

Then try adapting something else if it won't work.

-- Edited by C lectric on Sunday 14th of November 2010 12:16:30 AM