Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Once again I beg your indulgence!

Here's what I have...and it makes me really wonder.

On one of my engines...a Perkins 6.354 circa 1979.... I replaced the oil pressure sending unit. That was a while back....but what I have found, is that it appears that the wire from the sending unit has gotten very hot and looks a bit cracked and charred.... Not good I know.

Actually both of my sending units were replaced at the same time, and I have not had the same happen with the other engine.

Now....with the engine running, oil pressure gauge on, and alternator on (alternators on both engines triggered by oil pressure)...I can wrap my hand around the wire that appears burnt....and there is absolutely no heat from the wire.

Whats really a bummer....is that I cannot remember what the wire looked like when I put the new oil pressure sending unit on the engine.

Any ideas??

JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Hit the wire now with a little spray paint, then you will know if there are any changes due to heat.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Engine gauges draw and handle very little power. If you drew enough amps through the wire to cook it, the gauge would have died first. Think I would look for a heat source that the wire may have been against, like an exhaust manifold. Also, if the wiring harness is easy to open, check that wire a few feet away from the engine. If you cook a wire with amps, it generally cooks the whole length of the wire. With a heat source, the wire only gets cooked near the heat.

Ted
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Thank you both...I will do both suggestions!!
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

City: Strathaven
Vessel Name: Sarah Blaze
Vessel Model: Blackwater 44
Burnt wire

Hi, both are good answers but you may have had a slight leak to earth at one time causing the wire to appear burnt, I think replacing the wire would be a good idea in case it happens again only next time may ignite something else especially if its near fuel. Good luck
Castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Engine gauges draw and handle very little power. If you drew enough amps through the wire to cook it, the gauge would have died first. Think I would look for a heat source that the wire may have been against, like an exhaust manifold. Also, if the wiring harness is easy to open, check that wire a few feet away from the engine. If you cook a wire with amps, it generally cooks the whole length of the wire. With a heat source, the wire only gets cooked near the heat.

Ted
That is a very good post.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins