Onan mdje 7.5kw help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harbor Nights

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
43 Ocean Tri-cabin w/Cummins V555
Ok since i have never owned a boat with a generator i am going to ask a stupid question. When I bought the boat we were unable to start the generator from the DC panel in the cabin. It works from the panel on the generator. It gives the power to the boat as it should. The manuals have been ordered but how do I start this from the cabin?

The set up is hr meter top switch glow plug, start. Bottom switch stop. The switch does not crank the generator nor does the glow plug click. The hr meter does not run either.

What do I do?

So far I have found the 60amp breaker behind the panel and it is not tripped. I have a wire schematic and it shows an "onan switch" but I don't know where to look. It is in addition to the glow plug and stop switch.

Any good suggestion? It really sucks hanging upside down to start the gen.

I have the same generator and my boat is also a 1983. I am not sure what is wrong but I have the same setup. I do tend to have loose wires. There is a lot of vibration when that old genset is running. I wonder if there is a loose wire. I have also had problems with my hour meter but my switches work. Do you have 12v at the switch? When the gen is running do you have 12v at the hour meter?

Ok since i have never owned a boat with a generator i am going to ask a stupid question. When I bought the boat we were unable to start the generator from the DC panel in the cabin. It works from the panel on the generator. It gives the power to the boat as it should. The manuals have been ordered but how do I start this from the cabin?

I have good news for you: this is a great project that will also teach you lots about how your genset is wired. That ere of engine has no computers, no black boxes, nothing. It's perfect to learn on.

You'll need two tools: a good volt meter (or even a crappy one) and a 12-volt test light like this 12 Volt Test Light | eBay. Oh, another good investment will be a remote starter switch like this: Powerhouse Products 301220 Remote Starter Switch

Last but not least, get a legal-size notebook for notes.

You already know that the genset starts when you use the panel in the ER. So now what you do is work you way backwards from the genset to find out where the voltage stops when you use the remote panel. Draw it out in the notebook.

It will probably take you a few hours to figure it out, but in the end you'll have it fixed and you'll understand exactly how it's wired. And as you do it, you can repeat the following to yourself:

"It might be a pain in the ass, but it's better than fixing the toilet."

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Well after a few more hours I found the loose wire. It helped to finally get the manual in the mail.

Loose wire at location H11. The part I don't like is how the wires come loose as I found more than one that was loose on the gen.
I think I will be checking wire more often.

Anyone have. PDF copy of the operators manual. Can't locate one.

Thanks

Well after a few more hours I found the loose wire. It helped to finally get the manual in the mail.

Loose wire at location H11. The part I don't like is how the wires come loose as I found more than one that was loose on the gen.
I think I will be checking wire more often.

Thanks

Watch the gen set run... you will figure out why the wires come loose!
Hollywood
:)

Thanks
-----------------------------------
I have both manuals, (Operators and Maintenance) the original paper manual and in PDF. I'm not seeing them on this PC. I'm thinking they're on my laptop, which is on the boat. But I will keep looking here. If someone else doesn't forward them 1st, then I will retrieve them for you the next time I'm on the boat.
Also let me know when that troublesome gear driven raw water pump on the side of the Onan finally fails and I'll give you the work around that eliminates that pump and saves over $1000.
Larry B

---------------------------------
Here you go. . . . go to this webpage and you can print or save the Operators Manual a page at a time.
Onan MDJE Operating Instructinos (From Dorry #36-252)

Larry B

Last edited:
Here is a link to a complete multi page copy of the operators manual and parts manual, hope this helps....:thumb:

-----------------------------------
I have both manuals, (Operators and Maintenance) the original paper manual and in PDF. I'm not seeing them on this PC. I'm thinking they're on my laptop, which is on the boat. But I will keep looking here. If someone else doesn't forward them 1st, then I will retrieve them for you the next time I'm on the boat.
Also let me know when that troublesome gear driven raw water pump on the side of the Onan finally fails and I'll give you the work around that eliminates that pump and saves over $1000.
Larry B

---------------------------------
Here you go. . . . go to this webpage and you can print or save the Operators Manual a page at a time.
Onan MDJE Operating Instructinos (From Dorry #36-252)

Larry B

Very helpful thanks!

Cool and thank you to all of you.

I would like to see the water pump work around as I am sure that will come up shortly. It seems as if the boat has sat some over the last few years so I am notmsuremwhatmto expect yet.

Follow Up

We were out on the boat this weekend and genset started fine on Saturday twice as usual. This after a week on the boat prior with no issues. My loose wiring was solved with electrical tape. Went to start it on the way home yesterday and dead as a door nail. I have had this issue with it going dead when I leave it as there is no charging loop for the starting battery other than the genset itself. However, we had just used it. The battery is new as of last October. Why is it not charging its own battery? Where do I start?

Why is it not charging its own battery? Where do I start?

The generator uses a little trickle charge circuit off the exciter i believe. The regulator board has a jumper that has to be in place to make that happen. Either it is turned off or the charge amperage is set too low, it's adjustable. Instructions are in the manual. I disconnected my charge circuit long ago and added the genny battery to the xantrex charger. Charger allows for 3 circuits and you don't have to worry about the unregulated genny charging system.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom