Onan/Cummins fuel leak at injector pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steveg353

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
I have an Onan 8.0kw generator model MDKD. It has a 3cyl. Cummins diesel.
There is fuel seeping from the base of the delivery valve fittings that thread into the top if the injector pump.
I have read posts on this repair to larger engines but I am looking for advise from someone familiar with a small 28 year old Cummins 3cyl.
I already ordered the o ring and gasket for the three delivery valves from the factory.

Orings can be replaced with pump in place using good dexterity and cleanliness. Done several of these.

Ski
Could you let me know what to expect after I remove the fuel line and screw the fitting out of the pump. The parts breakdown shows springs and I have this fear that things may come apart and shoot around the e/r.
Also, do you replace both the o ring and gasket?
O ring part# 185-5869
Delivery valve gasket part# 185-2196

I had the exact same issue. Order the O-rings from Cummins. They are about $10 each. Yes there are springs just take your time. BTW I no longer have any leaks

Did you replace the o rings only?
I purchased the o rings and gaskets but I am not sure if I need to do both.
I am not sure where the gasket fits by looking at the parts breakdown.

Did you replace the o rings only?
I purchased the o rings and gaskets but I am not sure if I need to do both.
I am not sure where the gasket fits by looking at the parts breakdown.

Mine was seeping from under the "B nuts" and once I replaced the O rings the leaks stopped. This seems to be a common issue with this model as the O rings dry up and become brittle, thus they start leaking.

Take a look here.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/onan-8kw-annual-maint-more-24143.html

Back
Top Bottom