Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Ex Sailor's Avatar
 
City: Toronto
Country: Canada
Vessel Model: Kha Shing 40
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 134
Onan 8KW Gen.

I fired up the Gen. for the first time since launch in June and noticed in the initial water discharge some granular material(s) sort of kitty litter and saw dust looking stuff. The discharge stream seemed irregular ( a bit of flow and a bit of sputtering ) I did not run it long enough to monitor temperature etc. for fear of doing something to this thing.

Does anyone have any idea what this material could have been ( other than bits of impeller ??? ) and if there is potential blockage of the exchanger tubing ... ?


Of note: this is a new boat to us, I have never owned a Gen. before nor have I seen this one running for an extended time.

Thanks in advance ... FB
__________________
Advertisement

Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,460
What did the surveyor have to say about it?

We'd all be purely speculating without first hand inspection. It could be any number of things. Advise getting a tech who knows these.
__________________

__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,406
I would say it could be a critter that nested up there???

Impeller pieces likely would not make it out of the exhaust. They would have to get thru the heat exchanger first.

I would check the impeller though. I would also check the intake side of things....thru hull and strainer and such.
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member
 
City: Buffalo
Country: US
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 72
You were wise to shut it down. Certainly debris coming out the exhaust is not normal, and indicates something is in there that shouldn't be there. Perhaps a bird or a mouse built a nest while the boat was hauled of the winter. You may have washed them out. Regardless, check that everything is clear before you start again.

This doesn't sound like the impeller. The impeller is probably black rubbery, and pieces probably wouldn't get past the heat exchanger anyway. But you should check the impeller before first start every spring, and make sure that you find and remove any fins that have broken off.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ex Sailor's Avatar
 
City: Toronto
Country: Canada
Vessel Model: Kha Shing 40
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
What did the surveyor have to say about it?

We'd all be purely speculating without first hand inspection. It could be any number of things. Advise getting a tech who knows these.

LOL ..... the surveyor said there was an Onan 8KW Generator .....
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ex Sailor's Avatar
 
City: Toronto
Country: Canada
Vessel Model: Kha Shing 40
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
You were wise to shut it down. Certainly debris coming out the exhaust is not normal, and indicates something is in there that shouldn't be there. Perhaps a bird or a mouse built a nest while the boat was hauled of the winter. You may have washed them out. Regardless, check that everything is clear before you start again.

This doesn't sound like the impeller. The impeller is probably black rubbery, and pieces probably wouldn't get past the heat exchanger anyway. But you should check the impeller before first start every spring, and make sure that you find and remove any fins that have broken off.
Thank you, Very good point re: wildlife building a nest or something .... I never thought of it. But good advice in having a good check just to be sure.
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Ex Sailor's Avatar
 
City: Toronto
Country: Canada
Vessel Model: Kha Shing 40
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I would say it could be a critter that nested up there???

Impeller pieces likely would not make it out of the exhaust. They would have to get thru the heat exchanger first.

I would check the impeller though. I would also check the intake side of things....thru hull and strainer and such.

Thank you, this was granular stuff, sort of beige in colour and small enough to go through the exchanger tubes, I think .....
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
ragin cajun's Avatar
 
City: Lafayette, LA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Miss Puddy
Vessel Model: 44' Nova
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 229
Ya'll got dirt diver wasps up there? They love to build nests of mud inside of any small openings. I have to clean out vent openings all the time because of these insects!
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #9
Guru
 
ulysses's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 868
"dirt wasps" = "mud daubbers"
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #10
Guru
 
BobH's Avatar
 
City: Montgomery, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Sailor View Post
LOL ..... the surveyor said there was an Onan 8KW Generator .....
Typical................

And we pay them money for that!
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member
 
Busterbrown's Avatar
 
City: Corona
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SCRAMBLER
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32 #536
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 53
Maybe some rust from the exhaust elbow? When was the last time it was replaced? If you still had a good water flow I would say your impeller is working.
Busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #12
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,297
Sounds like zinc debris. Normal. Mixer is a nice welded ss unit, does not shed debris.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Bill Ranson's Avatar
 
City: Deltaville, VA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cork
Vessel Model: Halvorsen GC32
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 110
Sounds like prostate trouble to me. Oops, wrong blog.
Bill Ranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #14
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,646
This whole thread is way overboard. My goodness. Follow the advice here and you'll be tearing down the generator.

You only have one question to answer... did it overheat???

If it did not, run the generator. You yourself said its a new boat to you. That most likely means that it has not been run for awhile.

Could be any number of things, but if it does not overheat then the cooling system is working properly.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #15
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
This whole thread is way overboard. My goodness. Follow the advice here and you'll be tearing down the generator.

You only have one question to answer... did it overheat???

If it did not, run the generator. You yourself said its a new boat to you. That most likely means that it has not been run for awhile.

Could be any number of things, but if it does not overheat then the cooling system is working properly.
While I was going to write something similar, I paused. Because if he does run it and there is an obstruction, it could do more than just overheat...like water backing up into the cylinders. Not likely but I didn't want to say "just run it" and if it doesn't overheat, it is fine. I, personally, would do a bit of "mechanical" diligence before I started again.
__________________

__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012