Onan 5 KW Generator help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmiii

Vessel Name
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Vessel Make
Mariner 40
I have a Onan 5MDKBH 5 KW genset that has stopped working properly. It starts fine, runs for 15 seconds and shuts down. The Flashing lights indicate a 'No raw water flow' message, buy I have good flow.
I've replaced the impeller, checked the hoses and heat exchanger and all looks good.
I suspect a Raw water sensor, but can't find one anywhere and no mention in my parts manual.
Any ideas?

OR, does anyone know of Onan service between Midway Marina on the Tenn/Tom and Watts Bar Lake in East Tennessee?

Thanks,

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Heading North on the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway

Some Onans use a water pressure switch. Looks like an oil pressure switch but is tee'd into raw water plumbing. Prone to fail from corrosion. Not sure where it might be located on that machine.

Thanks Ski.
I'll check and see what I can find.
There is nothing from the thru hull to the strainer, to the pump, to the heat exchanger. Maybe something after.

I can find diesel mechanics along the way, but I'm hoping there is Cummins/Onan service somewhere along the Tennessee River.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

As I am always curious about mechanical issues, I decided to go looking for an online manual for your MDKBH generator. They are surprisingly difficult to find.
I did find a parts manual here though. http://www.gemo-online.de/pdf/onan/MDKBH_parts.pdf

I believe that part number 12 is what you are looking for.
Good luck,
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 147
Great,
I'll dig into it in few minutes and see if I can find that sensor.
Thanks,
Wm

Is there water coming out of the exhaust? If not, it's a pump or restriction, if it is it probably is the sensor.

That worked!

I found the pressure sensor/switch. I checked with my service guys in Bradenton, FL and they agreed. I then checked to see if I needed to just unplug the 2 wires from the sensor or connect them. After a call to 'Diesel Don', the correct answer was disconnect them. I did and she now runs fine.
I'll get a replacement sensor on order and now we're good to go.

Thanks!

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Aqua Yacht Harbor
Iuka, MS

That is what I love about this forum. Get a great answer that fixes the problem.

I had the exact same issue with the same model genset. Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. My local Onan man advised those sensors can be a little problematic but as you have discovered, they can be bypassed (with caution).

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom