Old Heat Exchanger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wbarnh

When I purchased my Grand Banks 36 it looks like every mechanic in the last 40 years just left replaced parts in the bilge. I've cleaned out and sorted everything. The one part I have no idea what to do with is a Heat Exchanger off the John Deere Diesel.

Does anyone know if they can be rebuilt. How do I determine if should just be salvaged for the metal content?

Thanks

Take it to a radiator shop and have it tested. They can tell you if it’s worth repairing.

The challenge will be finding a radiator shop.

When I first got into boating, radiator shops would cut out tubes from the bundle and solder new ones in. With labor costs at what they are, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Seems like a big waste, but we've become a throw away society.

The last replacement I bought, I ordered on line from the "Manifold Warehouse" in Vancouver, BC.

http://www.manifoldwarehouse.com/mes/mgr?brch=home

Last edited:
+1 on manifold Warehouse. I got replacement heat exchanger for my Westerbeke Genny for 40% of what Westerbeke wanted. It was shipped direct from Seakamp and arrived in Toronto 22 hours after I ordered it. Even with shipping it came in under 50%.

Back
Top Bottom