Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

City: Petoskey
Old fat men and engine rooms

Looked at a very nice GB 32 yesterday and was shocked to find I'm too old and fat to move about in the engine spaces. I would have purchased this boat on the spot had I been able to fit anywhere.
Thinking I may need to find a small downeaster with a low deck and engine box.
I'm sure I'm not the only one here with this problem.
Speak to me- old fat guys!

capt.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I often joke that for some of the jobs in my engine bay, I need to hire a skinny eight year old boy with three arms. Airplane passenger seats and boat engine rooms have not kept up with expanding Americans. But then I was talking to a Samoan guy last year about his boat maintenance - everything's relative.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

You just need to get a bigger boat! One of my requirements was an engine room I can walk around in or I knew I wouldn't spend enough time there (and I'm not even old or fat (yet ).

I was just in the model year one older than mine and I would have had to crawl around and that wouldn't have worked at all!

Dave
Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

Buy that very nice GB32 and use it as a motivation to shed some weight.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
On most boats 50' or so and below, the engines are "sole buried", creating a crawl around engine room.

I am somewhat jealous of owners in that size range that have actual stand up engine rooms.

The Defever 49 comes to mind as being one of the best engine rooms in a <50' production boat that I've seen.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
I have a GB32 and can appreciate what you are saying. It is a bugger getting down into and out of the space but most things can be accessed from the hatch. They are great boats.

Bob
Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Scout
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Our GB32 is a wonderful boat, but engine access is difficult. I'm old but skinny and have some difficulty in reaching parts of the engine. I have resigned myself to the fact that part of my retirement income will go to paying young, skinny guys to access parts of the engine room that I cannot get to. Just doing my part to keep the marine services industry healthy.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
This interests me as well. I'm not fat yet but tall at 6'2" and have struggled to find an engine room I have felt comfortable in.

The best engine room I have been in on so far in my boat search was on a Great Harbour GH37, and it was not stand up by any means. The worst was a custom pilothouse where you had to slither into a tiny dark crawl space. I looked at a Nordhanv 46 just for kicks (out of my range) and the engine room was not very roomy IMO.

Do all Defevers have stand up engine rooms? I like the design of the 49 Pilothouse but can't seem to find one on the Gulf or East coast. I also wonder if I will be able to pick a good Defever from a bad one since most in my price range seem to be 1980 vintage or older.

What are some other boats with true (or close) stand up engine rooms under 50'?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Guru

Engine room access was an overriding consideration when we purchased our Selene 47. Pretty good all around access, not full stand-up, but certainly decent.
Nevertheless there are still "corners" that necessitate the small body, third arm approach. Fortunately, there is nothing buried in those locations that requires routine maintenance!!
It still amazes me that most boat builders do not seem to consider access a major consideration in their designs and layouts.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
The PO of our boat had a skinny friend do engine maintenance for him. Bet he didn't know about the rag...under the oil pan...hidden from view...between the limber hole and the bilge pump
Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Yet another reason why single engine boats are vastly superior to twins in the <50' category. While I can't stand up in my engine room, there are nice 24" wide walk (crawl) ways down each side of the engine and generator. Remaining engine room equipment is out board of the walk ways.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Yet another reason why single engine boats are vastly superior to twins in the <50' category. While I can't stand up in my engine room, there are nice 24" wide walk (crawl) ways down each side of the engine and generator. Remaining engine room equipment is out board of the walk ways.

Ted
Mine too...and I can crawl in under the aft or fwd steps or access the engine room through any one of 6 saloon hatches.

I could easily have 4 average sized guys working on my engine at one time (wouldn't that be nice )...and when I downsize my genset...5 guys..
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. car'. I can't recall ever being on a Defever with a stand up (su) ER. Granted, my experience is VERY limited. The one D' 49 I toured did have an expansive but not su ER. More of a shallow stoop situation. Still a bit tight on that vessel on the outboard sides of the engines. The only two vessels I am aware of with true su ER's are the Marine Trader 50' and the Cheoy Lee 46'. Interestingly the MT 50's have removable bulkheads to allow easier access to INBOARD engine bits but the outboard bits are still tight.
I vaguely recall some Nordhavens and a Diesel Duck have them as well but I can't remember the specific models. As has been mentioned, even with a large ER there are still some remote corners.
Mr. cG. Not old and fat, aged and full bodied like a fine wine.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Now we finally know what you look like! Thanks for sharing. BTW, is the bowtie a real one or a clip on?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #15
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
A "biggest loser" program for TF members!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #16
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RT,
You're a bit younger than I had thought. "A" cup right?

Here's our mechanic at Comox BC. He was very tall but skinny. He could wrap his body around the little engine like a cat. Youth. Someth'in we old guys can't have. My Willy's engine compartment isn't bad for a 30' boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0601 copy 2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	28227  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #17
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #18
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I was impressed by the room around the engine in the little Camano. As you suggest the Down East boats with engine boxes are also a good option.

I am an official old fat guy.

RTF, that's just creepy. I saw a local production of Spam A Lot last Saturday, very funny!
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Whidbey Island
Vessel Name: Rekindle
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-145
Not old and fat but old and injured. I'm currently reconfiguring my engine room to accommodate ME. Moving batteries, inverter, water heater around to give me access where I need it. Also moving fuel filters so maintenance is easier.
Rekindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Libertyville
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. car'. I can't recall ever being on a Defever with a stand up (su) ER. Granted, my experience is VERY limited. The one D' 49 I toured did have an expansive but not su ER. More of a shallow stoop situation. Still a bit tight on that vessel on the outboard sides of the engines. The only two vessels I am aware of with true su ER's are the Marine Trader 50' and the Cheoy Lee 46'. Interestingly the MT 50's have removable bulkheads to allow easier access to INBOARD engine bits but the outboard bits are still tight.
I vaguely recall some Nordhavens and a Diesel Duck have them as well but I can't remember the specific models. As has been mentioned, even with a large ER there are still some remote corners.
Mr. cG. Not old and fat, aged and full bodied like a fine wine.

Yes, I can see why so many are concerned with "engine room stand up ability".......!!!

Right rudder is offline   Reply With Quote