Old fat men and engine rooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plenty of head room when opened up. A deep bilge allows eye level access for some things. I can still crawl around to get to the outboard sides, but some days it's a struggle.

Attachments

• engine room.jpg
    engine room.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 488
That is surely the prettiest engine room I have ever seen. It's approaching the level of the ultimate "man cave". It just needs a wet bar and a TV!

1972 58' Tricabin

Hatteras didn't make a 57, what boat exactly are you talking about. Every Hatt I have seen from 53 up is a stand up ER.

I mistakenly called a 58 a 57 , about 33" headroom

I mistakenly called a 58 a 57 , about 33" headroom

A 58 what? Series I MY? Series II MY? 58 Yachtfish? LRC? 58 Cockpit MY? Convertible? ... nope couldn't have been any of them... so that leaves the ones I haven't been on.. 1970-1976 triple cabin? I know someone who has one of those, i could ask him.. was it this model here?

Archives

A 58 what? Series I MY? Series II MY? 58 Yachtfish? LRC? 58 Cockpit MY? Convertible? ... nope couldn't have been any of them... so that leaves the ones I haven't been on.. 1970-1976 triple cabin? I know someone who has one of those, i could ask him.. was it this model here?

Archives

It is similar , this one has had some modification. The aluminum widows have been replaced with wood frames. And the flying bridge is absent. I,all post s photo. I have repair photos of sole timber I,m in the process of repairing.

One of the reasons I bought my Sabre.:D:smitten:

Attachments

• Moonstruck engine room.jpg
    Moonstruck engine room.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 111
"Walk-in" engine room of the Defever 44 we're considering. Still a bit of a stoop for someone 6'1", but I'm not complaining. :rolleyes:

Engine room of my former power vessel, USS TALBOT (DEG-4)

Attachments

• engine room 1.jpg
    engine room 1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 73
  • engine room 3.jpg
    engine room 3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 92
  • engine room 6.jpg
    engine room 6.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 80
Greetings,
Mr. angus. If that's representative of the rest of the boat I might even consider buying it! VERY impressive!

It's 3 feet from the sole to the bilge, wide open aft for about 5 feet, filters are starboard side aft and the raw water pump is forward, exchangers are all aft, batteries are fairly easy to access.

The hardest thing to get to is the alternator and belts, a spare belt is installed around the hoses in case of failure.

There is an oil change pump on the starboard side so that is easy.

Transmission and stuffing box are wide open aft.

All in all we are happy with access to everything.

Art: I'd give my left gonad for an ER like that DeFever 44 (already lost my right one when it got caught in my machinery space).:blush::rolleyes:

It is similar , this one has had some modification. The aluminum widows have been replaced with wood frames. And the flying bridge is absent. I,all post s photo. I have repair photos of sole timber I,m in the process of repairing.

IMG871.jpg
Like this one? This Hatteras (pretty sure not a Matthews) went by yesterday. She was beautiful, and towing a 17' motorboat. Guy had his sht together for sure! Can't figure out what model she is. A custom? She appears too large (that's a 45' in the background) to be a 50' Hatt, which I know some came without flybridges. 56'? Name is Quest.

Last edited:
Man that is sketchy towing a hard skiff in a canal.

Maybe he's an assistance towing captain...:D

Or like an old friend that I know who drives a large salvage tug and owns a 60 something Hat. :thumb:

Last edited:
Man that is sketchy towing a hard skiff in a canal.

Although I don't have picts, cause... wife and I are simply not photo taking nuts - at all, I will try to remember to take picts of my following “tow-explanation” next time out on boat... and to post em on this thread.

I have no problem towing a runabout while in canal. Secret for me is to "tight-tow"; wherein I only leave the towed craft's nose about 6 feet off transom at canal speed. I also make sure that the towed boat has its own ample fender or flexible rub rail equipment on its nose and sides so that any "small-bump" into my transom creates no damage. For real close quarters, such as maneuverings into fuel docks, my wife is always ready with boat hook if needed. Of course, if it's blowing up a storm while doing any of these items, then, things can get dicey... but, in good weather and fair seas without crazy currents - No Problem! :thumb:

That said: On our runabout we have a big, white, air inflated Taylor brand "corner fender" nicely bolted onto the Crestliner's nose and there are rubber rub rails all around on sides. Our swim step has its own fender-strip all around too. When cruising I let the tow out line out further.

I am surprised to see the long tow line that Hatteras shows in the canal pict on post # 76. :eek:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

As a letter carrier with 550 houses on my route I burn enough calories per day to scrunch in there...all bets are off after I retire...

Attachments

• Badger engine %22room%22.jpg
    Badger engine %22room%22.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Like this one? This Hatteras (pretty sure not a Matthews) went by yesterday. She was beautiful, and towing a 17' motorboat. Guy had his sht together for sure! Can't figure out what model she is. A custom? She appears too large (that's a 45' in the background) to be a 50' Hatt, which I know some came without flybridges. 56'? Name is Quest.
Saw that boat in Bimini at Browns Marina.

58 Hatteras motor yacht mark 2

I think this a late 70's early 80's 58 Hatteras Motor Yacht Series 2, It shared the curved windshield corners and salon windows, dorade/ hatch on the foredeck with the LRC's. The hull looks the same as the 58 LRC, 18' beam Gorgeous yacht. I think the stack and missing bridge is a custom addition. It is a full displacement with long range capabilities.

Last edited:
The ideal engine room size

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 148
>I'd still consider a GB 32 if I could come up with a way around this problem.<

For most folks the only service is changine the oil,& fuel filters , replacing hoses , replacxing rubber sea water impellers.

If this can be done , why contemplate some horror ?

I think this a late 70's early 80's 58 Hatteras Motor Yacht Series 2, It shared the curved windshield corners and salon windows, dorade/ hatch on the foredeck with the LRC's. The hull looks the same as the 58 LRC, 18' beam Gorgeous yacht. I think the stack and missing bridge is a custom addition. It is a full displacement with long range capabilities.

Nope, the one in the photo is a 53ED without a bridge. You can tell by the abbreviated aft deck and no walk around deck. Planing hull. 15'10" beam, split, walk-in ERs. (via Companionway to master stateroom aft)

53EDB-0685_1_1.jpg

This interests me as well. I'm not fat yet but tall at 6'2" and have struggled to find an engine room I have felt comfortable in. The best engine room I have been in on so far in my boat search was on a Great Harbour GH37, and it was not stand up by any means. The worst was a custom pilothouse where you had to slither into a tiny dark crawl space. I looked at a Nordhanv 46 just for kicks (out of my range) and the engine room was not very roomy IMO. Do all Defevers have stand up engine rooms? I like the design of the 49 Pilothouse but can't seem to find one on the Gulf or East coast. I also wonder if I will be able to pick a good Defever from a bad one since most in my price range seem to be 1980 vintage or older. What are some other boats with true (or close) stand up engine rooms under 50'?

If you liked the Great Harbour GH37 you would really like the GH47. Then tour a Great Harbour N37 and N47 (same beam 16th and full standup)!

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler

As to old and fat I admit nothing....just say that it all relative.

I ended up with a tidy ER, and used spare carpet the PO had to lay about 62 sq ft in the ER. The inline JD's give much better access outboard of the engines compared to the old V8's. Pic of electrics before carpet.

When buying I had to compromise - not stand up, but pretty comfortable to work in after refit. Remove salon floor hatches for 6' x 6' access if required, but normally just slide in from door next to master stateroom.

Attachments

• IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 151
  • ER Stb aft 1.jpg
    ER Stb aft 1.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
If you liked the Great Harbour GH37 you would really like the GH47. Then tour a Great Harbour N37 and N47 (same beam 16th and full standup)!

We're with you on that, Spotsville. Cardude and I have had many conversations about the GH and N series engine rooms.

As to old and fat I admit nothing....just say that it all relative.

I ended up with a tidy ER, and used spare carpet the PO had to lay about 62 sq ft in the ER. The inline JD's give much better access outboard of the engines compared to the old V8's. Pic of electrics before carpet.

When buying I had to compromise - not stand up, but pretty comfortable to work in after refit. Remove salon floor hatches for 6' x 6' access if required, but normally just slide in from door next to master stateroom.
While looking at this, in the way off distance, I seem to be hearing " Handel's Messiah ", why is that ? Very nice.
Now comes the addition to the in port maint. list, (Shampoo the engine room).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom