Old 03-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
This fat old man can stand up in the engine "room" although my top half will be outside. Usually sit on one of the battery boxes when working there.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #22
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Navigators have great engine rooms because the fuel tanks are NOT amidships outboard the engines, they are all aft under the cockpit. Even on many big yachts getting outboard the engines is only for skinny guys who practice yoga.Not Navigators, you can stretch out and take a nap down there.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #23
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Perfect timing

At 70 I'm officially old and at 6'1 230lb maybe even fat. I spent yesterday recovering from a day in the engine room of a 57 Hatteras. Every part of my body hurt. Crawling around like a snake in and out of caves working with power tools on your side, back, head and then backing out over the same. Hatteras to there credit actually provides access to everything you need to get at. It's been my observation that this true of most of the older boats. Not the case for the many of the newer boats that are build on a assembly line with major components installed before the deck is glued to the hull. I have seen Sea Rays that you would have to remove the engine to replace spark plugs or exhaust manifolds. My 4788 Bayliner holding tank was just outboard of the starboard engine access to the tank or starboard side of the engine was impossible. The port engine raw water pump was a 4 hour job to access requiring removal of the engine mount. In fact it was easier to remove the engine mount and pump just to change pump impellers on the starboard side. Oh well back to work. The perfect boat mechanic, 70 years experience, built like rubber man with the strength of atlas.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Navigators have great engine rooms because the fuel tanks are NOT amidships outboard the engines, they are all aft under the cockpit. Even on many big yachts getting outboard the engines is only for skinny guys who practice yoga.Not Navigators, you can stretch out and take a nap down there.
Which is why they are Top 3 on our list of next boat.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
At 70 I'm officially old and at 6'1 230lb maybe even fat. I spent yesterday recovering from a day in the engine room of a 57 Hatteras. Every part of my body hurt. Crawling around like a snake in and out of caves working with power tools on your side, back, head and then backing out over the same. Hatteras to there credit actually provides access to everything you need to get at. It's been my observation that this true of most of the older boats. Not the case for the many of the newer boats that are build on a assembly line with major components installed before the deck is glued to the hull. I have seen Sea Rays that you would have to remove the engine to replace spark plugs or exhaust manifolds. My 4788 Bayliner holding tank was just outboard of the starboard engine access to the tank or starboard side of the engine was impossible. The port engine raw water pump was a 4 hour job to access requiring removal of the engine mount. In fact it was easier to remove the engine mount and pump just to change pump impellers on the starboard side. Oh well back to work. The perfect boat mechanic, 70 years experience, built like rubber man with the strength of atlas.
Steve, that is exactly why I had my holding tank removed and replaced with a Raritan hold n treat when we repowered our 4788.

I had to replace the starter on the starboard engine and was very glad that tank was gone.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #26
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Defever 44s have "almost" standup headroom for people under 6 feet, plus an actual door for walk-in access--a huge benefit over dropping through a hatch.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #27

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
DeFever has always had a pretty good engine room. So many owners store too much in the engine space also adding to a fire hazard an items moving around in a rough sea. Just looked at a 36" Grand Banks sedan with 2 210 HP cummins engines. It had 6 large Grand Banks battery boxes with in the engine space and 4 plastic milk cartons with oil and anti freeze also. Under 50' only the Grand Banks 49' has a head room are between the engines. What else has that?
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #28
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
The Kady Krogen 39 has stand up headroom as you first enter the engine room through a door in the stateroom, perhaps 30" long. After that you are on your hands and knees as you go aft. But it is nice if you need to go in to just look around.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Grand Banks 49's have great head room, I am big, about 6'2" and clumsy and found them easy to negotiate, though getting to the generator I recall as "squeezy". GB 46 Classic while not stand up, was pretty nice especially with the hatch open, but "doable" nonetheless. A big selling factor for me when buying our boat was it had to be full stand up ER and easy for me to access. I don't think I could cruise for any extended period where it was a chore to access the ER. Agree that the smaller you go, the more a single engine has its attractions in addition to their other benefits. Or, yes!, outboards!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Hatteras didn't make a 57, what boat exactly are you talking about. Every Hatt I have seen from 53 up is a stand up ER.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 03-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
If you like the size of the 32 GB, take a look at the ER on a 34 LRC Californian. It was designed and marketed to compete with the 32 GB.

The ER is full width (12+ ft) and approx 20 ft in length from the transom to the fwd edge of the salon near the steps. Like the Navigator (same designer Jule Marshall for Californian Boats/Navigator), the fuel tanks are aft of the engines allowing good all-around engine access. You'll still need to crawl or remove the salon hatches, so don't expect stand up room, but all components are accessible for this fat, old guy.

I have the Perkins 4.236 inline 4 engines and no generator. It gets a bit more crowded when you have Cat 3208s and a genset.

Here are a couple of screen shots from my ER cameras. There's about 3 ft of vertical clearance above the center aisle. There is another 12-14 inches outboard of each of the outboard stringers shown with stbd engine mount/port strainer. The 'bucket-o-rope' in the background is a standard 5 gal bucket and provides a reference for scale.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #32
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I find the Cummins 6BT5.9 engine in my Monk 36 quite accessible, about 18" clearance on Stbd side, 22" on port and 36" fwd to the generator. Sitting on the battery box or floorboard with feet under the engine makes for a comfortable work position. Limited standing with the covers off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monk engine 2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	28230  
Old 03-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #33

City: Petoskey
Thanks for the comments so far guys. We really want to stay below 40' due to the outrageous dockage rates in our "destination" area. I wish there were more slow boats available with engines installed under the aft deck running through V-drives like many of Bill Garden's designs. One of his boats I looked at years ago had an aft deck level with the swim platform and the single 672 sat there proudly right in the center of that deck under a table height engine box. Now that's easy access!
capt.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #34
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
You wouldn't want my boat, George.

I'm not fat or old (by some standards), but can access my engine only by lying on my belly and hanging upside-down from above. Not fun - especially at sea.

To adjust my rudder packing, I exhale all my breath and squeeze my body into a small opening only slightly wider than my head.

If I don't post for a while, please send someone with a jar of vaseline.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #35
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Pretty good stand or stoop a little ER's under 50 include Gulf Star 44, Krogen 39, Selene 36. Great Harbour N-37 and especially N-47, MT 50, a couple of others I can't. recall right now.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mine's not bad for a 30' boat w fuel tanks on either side of the engine. Originally the 2X4 floor joist went right across and one needed to crawl aft and under the floor to service lots of things. But some PO cut the joist and extended the opening well aft basically to the aft bulkhead. Huge difference. Have seen or experienced no indication it was a structural mistake. I'm glad a PO did it as I may not have felt it wise.

My separate heat exchanger is crossways on the aft bulkhead (black). To the right is my dedicated start battery. Ahead of that is the SS exhaust riser and mixer made by National Marine Exhaust. FG lift muffler is to port. To your left (stbd) is the hot water tank on the bottom, holding tank on the top and stbd fuel tank. On the side of my exhaust manifold is the Murphy Switch (orange). The exhaust manifold is steel. Not copper-nickle but extremely little rust.

I painted the floors w household floor paint right after this pic was taken.

To work on the front or back of the engine I frequently lay on a seat cushion on top of the engine. I may move the oil filter back on the right side of the engine and use a pan to catch leaking oil. I have a pesky oil leak so the remote oil filter isn't working out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STH71434 copy 2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	28240  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #37
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I have great access, except at the very forward end. This is amid ship, below the pilothouse.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
If I can't stand up at least 75% of the time while working on or around boat engines and the accessory equipment - I don't purchase the boat - Period!! I simply will not crawl around on my knees bumping my heat off sole's under frame.

The type engine rooms/compartments I accept:

1. Walk in stand up

2. Salon sole that easily becomes wide open via very large hinged hatches

3. Cockpit that easily becomes wide open via very large hinged hatches

4. Low sole or cockpit with hinged engine box(s) that open(s) wide

Our 34' tri cabin Tollycraft has #2. A Uni we sold had #3. Chris I had was # 4. Never owned a boat with #1 - yet!

Following picts are our Tolly's salon sole hatches wide open. Easy open, in and out with wood slat walk path. Pretty much enough room for my 6'1" 240 lb 62 yr good condition bod to have fun time while playing with or working on the equipment.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	28245   Click image for larger version

Name:	TO - Both Engines and Grey-Flex Battery Cover Looking Astern 100_0612.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	28246   Click image for larger version

Name:	TO - Port Engine 100_0613.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	28247   Click image for larger version

Name:	TO - Stbd Engine 100_0614.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	28248  
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #39
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
This entire discussion is making me think I need a different boat. As it is now, I tell my wife "I'm going in!" I wedge and twist and mash myself into a spot like a bullet in a rifle barrel. I need two people to do most jobs below the salon floor only because once I'm in there, I'm not coming out and I'm only wedging myself in there once, so I need a second somebody to fetch tools. If I ever had a heart attack in some places down there they'd have to use the jaws of life and cut away part of the hull to get me out. We developed a slow leak in a fitting at the top of the water heater last season and I just let it drip for the last couple weeks before haul-out (we disconnect the fresh water entirely when we leave the boat). I can see the leak with a flashlight but getting to it might take the removal of a couple of my vertebrae so I put it off until this season. All it needs is the tightening of one fitting, probably one turn of a wrench, but it will take me half an hour. So close and yet so far.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
If I can't stand up at least 75% of the time while working on or around boat engines and the accessory equipment - I don't purchase the boat - Period!! I simply will not crawl around on my knees bumping my heat off sole's under frame.

The type engine rooms/compartments I accept:

1. Walk in stand up

2. Salon sole that easily becomes wide open via very large hinged hatches

3. Cockpit that easily becomes wide open via very large hinged hatches

4. Low sole or cockpit with hinged engine box(s) that open(s) wide

Our 34' tri cabin Tollycraft has #2. A Uni we sold had #3. Chris I had was # 4. Never owned a boat with #1 - yet!

Following picts are our Tolly's salon sole hatches wide open. Easy open, in and out with wood slat walk path. Pretty much enough room for my 6'1" 240 lb 62 yr good condition bod to have fun time while playing with or working on the equipment.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Love those Tollys. Our first boat was an early 60's 32ft Flybridge Sedan. Had ER#3. The problem with 2 and 3 especially is that they are not very fun to open and use in a seaway. Just fine at the dock though. I'm about your size and age , by the way.