Oil weight for older diesels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Part of having a trawler is getting from A to B safely and cheaply.If money were no object, then I would use Syn. oils in every thing. Could be some of the strong opinions expressed here are just because of their cheap thinking. Yes I do use the old fashion oil, because I am CHEAP and for what I do, it works. If I only had more money !

You're not cheap Ron you're just smart.

I think dino oil is better at something but I can't remember what it is. But dino oil seems to do a 100% job of protecting the engine. And those that have extensive knowledge on such matters and are responsible for millions of dollars worth of machinery mostly use dino oil .. and some use synthetic.

But there shouldn't be any heat while talking about this as using:

A. 15-40 dino
B. 30W dino
C. Synthetic lube

Will protect our engines fully.

Last edited:
But there shouldn't be any heat while talking about this as using:

A. 15-40 dino
B. 30W dino
C. Synthetic lube

Will protect our engines fully.

If you are talking about most antique farm implement engine conversions in old trawlers , that is probably right.

However ALL engines esp newer engines MUST have the oil specs the engine builder requires .

Its mostly detergents changes , but there are other anti wear , anti foaming chemicals required for modern diesels.

As always DA BOOK rules!

The only people arguing about what oil to use are hobbyists and truck drivers.

Considering that no marine diesel manufacturer requires the use of synthetic oil only, and most synthetics are a blend of synthetic and natural base oils, the argument is once again one of angels dancing on pinheads.

FF, I don't think anyone is suggesting that the use of straight mineral base oil with no additives ala 1930 is an alternative. I doubt anyone can even find a local source of "dino" base stock that seems to be offered here as the alternative to what is found on the shelves of nearly every supermarket, boatyard, or parts store in the US.

I doubt that there is a lube oil on the market today that will not provide more than adequate service to any engine any reader has in his or her boat.

The only people arguing about what oil to use are hobbyists and truck drivers.

Considering that no marine diesel manufacturer requires the use of synthetic oil only, and most synthetics are a blend of synthetic and natural base oils, the argument is once again one of angels dancing on pinheads.

FF, I don't think anyone is suggesting that the use of straight mineral base oil with no additives ala 1930 is an alternative. I doubt anyone can even find a local source of "dino" base stock that seems to be offered here as the alternative to what is found on the shelves of nearly every supermarket, boatyard, or parts store in the US.

I doubt that there is a lube oil on the market today that will not provide more than adequate service to any engine any reader has in his or her boat.

Rick,
great post.. that should end the debate... but it won't!

HOLLYWOOD

But I do have to admit it is more entertaining for me than the anchor or single vs twins arguments.

That's quotable!

100% agree.

I'll add, change your oil often. ("Often" being defined as the manufacturers recommendation or better)

DEPENDS , not everyone has an antique engine,

IF its a brand new diesel with EGR , the use of perfectly good 1960-80 era oil will not hold the fine soot as required these days.

That 20% or 25% of the oil package is actually required .

Happily using new rated ,made for new engines lube oil does no harm to older engines that do not require more modern oil.

Back
Top Bottom