oil for the watermaker pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supertramp

Vessel Name
" Supertramp "
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
I need chance the oil from the centrifical high pressure pump ( main pump-watermaker)
What is the**correct oil, Hydraulic or motoroil.
Thanks with greeting
Norbert

My pump calls for Mobile 1 15W-50 synthetic oil based on its serial number. But I see in my manual that some pumps call for "EPDM food grade oil" Which I am not familiar with.

-- Edited by Jim Spence on Sunday 15th of March 2009 05:21:38 AM

EPDM is an elastomer used for seals, so it's asking for a oil that will work with that. I guess the food grade is called for since some might leak into your water.

-- Edited by Keith on Sunday 15th of March 2009 07:34:38 AM

Norbert,

*Which brand of HP pump do you have?* The most common*are CAT pumps which use a SAE 30 non-detergent hydraulic oil or original CAT pump oil.* Some of the Italian pumps and also Giant, if I remember correctly, use SAE 90 gear oil.* The one that I am not sure of the formula for is the WM pump that Sea Recovery use - I have not been able to find out the spec for this oil - but I have used CAT oil in these pumps without problem.*

Leon.

Norbert, It really depends on the pump requirements, as other posters have noted and it is important that you get it right. Ours required a light oil that we purchased from Village Marine in Ft. Lauderdale. Chuck

Downside of the pump a label:
" capacity, 1 quart # 30 detergent Motor Oil "
Ok, i am used for the Ford Lehmann 15/40 HD Motoroil and i think the same will spend a good work with the pump.
Greeting - Norbert

30 wt oil is very common and available in Venezuela, at least it was when I worked there 20 years ago, if it is what the pump lable calls for i would use it rather than the multi grade oil
Good luck,
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom