oil samples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
Well its been a month since I repaired my heat exchanger after an overheat. Since the repair, I have put about 10 hours on the oil that was present at the time of the overheat. I then took an oil sample of that engine and changed the oil. I ran the new oil about 5 hours and have had no issues to date. Pressures and Temps have been excellent. Boat has been able to maintain WOT throttle for 10-15 minutes and stayed within operation limits.

Will report the oil samples results. Using Blackstone Labs.

Update:
Got my before and after oil analysis results. NO anti-freeze. Metal is within specs. All is good on the Blue Heron.

Congradulations.
Gives you a warm fuzzy when all things are good to go.

Sd

I was wondering how ofter you have pulled oil samples in the past. I generally pull them every oil change so that I can build a historical trend. I find trends the best way to keep tabs on what is going on inside equipment, whether it is the main engine, a generator or the tranny.

Anthony, I just got the boat in may. I have survey samples and then this sample from oil change and maintenance action. At 50.00 for both motors, I intend to sample at the mid life of each oil change or 100 hours.

Sweet

Update:
Got my before and after oil analysis results. NO anti-freeze. Metal is within specs. All is good on the Blue Heron.
Time to plan some traveling.

Anthony, I just got the boat in may. I have survey samples and then this sample from oil change and maintenance action. At 50.00 for both motors, I intend to sample at the mid life of each oil change or 100 hours.

Congratulations on your new to you purchase. Whereas I am a huge advocat of preventative maintenance, every oil change should suffice for building a historical view of the internals of all of your components. You can always perform samples mid-term for a more finite chart, but I feel for the most part, it is a task that is generally not needed until a sample comes back indicating that something is going on. Depending on the result, I adjust the interval for sampling according to what is going on, and take action to see if I can locate the cause of the rising level. It is entirely up to you and never hurts. Thanks for the update and safe sailing.

Back
Top Bottom