Old 10-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
Guru

Oil Sample report

Just for kicks here are the oil sample results I took last month for my FL 120, BW Velvet drive, and Westerbeke gen set.
Looks like the Doc says we'll live for another season.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 83 LEHMAN-190910.pdf (18.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: pdf GEN SET-G-190910.pdf (17.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf BORG WARNER-TR-190910.pdf (17.2 KB, 30 views)

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Looks good. Cu and Pb in tranny is just from clutch facing material. Every time you engage a gear it will shed a bit of Cu and Pb. All other numbers look great.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Looks good. Cu and Pb in tranny is just from clutch facing material. Every time you engage a gear it will shed a bit of Cu and Pb.
That's what I figured also. Being singl screw it gets shifted a lot especially those seasons we cruised the canals.

BTW, that's the tranny I rebuilt about 1200 hours ago and have been using 5-30 synthetic since that time.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #4

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Greetings Mr. L,

Thank you for sharing.

I really like the interactive comments that appear specific to your ongoing analysis with that lab.

I'm wondering if others find this with the labs they use? We haven't had NWD long enough to have a regular lab report, and didn't utilize oil testing on our last boat. I intend to with NWD. Our mechanical surveyor used a Chevron lab and the commentary was pretty generic, and I'm not sure what quality or customization I would receive from them over a long term. Not being a mechanical or metallurgical expert, that sort of feedback would be valuable input to me.

Here are the comments I had with the Chevron LubeWatch lab from our initial oil analysis

"All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first
sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory.
Water content acceptable. Fuel dilution satisfactory.
Viscosity within specified operating range. Action:
Resample at next recommended interval to monitor
and establish wear trend."

While I can certainly interpret these results, at first blush I don't think the LubeWatch system is designed with the small customer in mind the way your lab appears to think. With the cost being virtually equal to Blackstone, at first blush I'm thinking my next oil interval will be to send a sample to them to start a base line, as I really like that customer interaction. What length of relationship have you had with them to develop that?

I don't intend to hijack your thread on how to choose a lab, but I must confess your lab result has me considering jumping ship - instead of following up with the baseline lab from survey...We will hit our next oil change sometime in late winter, assuming we get to do a few fall/winter trips.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Here's another example of Blackstone comments......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191019_162857.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	95476  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
While I can certainly interpret these results, at first blush I don't think the LubeWatch system is designed with the small customer in mind the way your lab appears to think. With the cost being virtually equal to Blackstone, at first blush I'm thinking my next oil interval will be to send a sample to them to start a base line, as I really like that customer interaction. What length of relationship have you had with them to develop that?

I don't intend to hijack your thread on how to choose a lab, but I must confess your lab result has me considering jumping ship - instead of following up with the baseline lab from survey...We will hit our next oil change sometime in late winter, assuming we get to do a few fall/winter trips.
My previous samples at a different lab had results similar to what you experienced. Yada, yada, resample at normal intervals.
I don't have normal intervals.
I only "picked" Blackstone because someone or some thread here said they give you the sample kit free, and you pay only when they do the analysis.
I think I had the kit for 2 years before I remembered to take a sample in 2017. LOL
I like the "personal" touch in their comments and almost think it's a little comical. But what's life without a little humor. I also like them giving an opinion of how things are since they see thousands of samples and I only see a handful.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Great reports. I just got my sample reports back too (also Lehmans) and they are about identical to yours. I've never done the trannies.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Blackstone is worth any extra effort required, if any. They do an excellent job analyzing and interpreting. Strongly recommend finding a lab, them or other, and sticking with them to collect a good history. By switching you don't just lose the comments, you really lose comparability. It's like medical labs where two different labs will get different readings and have different standard ranges.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Whaot I dpon't like a8bout Blackstone is that they don't report the TBN without an extra fee. Total Base Number is very important to oil health. It is the measure of the oil's ability to continue to absorb the acids produced in the combustion process. A TBN in excess of four (4), a very conservative baseline, means the oil is still quite usable. Diesel lube oils generally start out with a TBN of 9 -12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Just for kicks here are the oil sample results I took last month for my FL 120, BW Velvet drive, and Westerbeke gen set.
Looks like the Doc says we'll live for another season.

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote