Oil in Lehman engine coolant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baycoaster

I have found oil(about a half pint) in my coolant on my Lehman engine. Ruled out oil cooler leak (Raw water). Engine runs fine, no sign of coolant in oil.
Will it harm engine to run?
Need help!!!

Oil in coolant is no good. Means your oil level is going down and more then likely you will need to do a head gasket.

I have found oil(about a half pint) in my coolant on my Lehman engine. Ruled out oil cooler leak (Raw water). Engine runs fine, no sign of coolant in oil.
Will it harm engine to run?
Need help!!!

Have it professionally evaluated, starting with pulling the heat exchanger and having it pressure tested. Hopefully it ends there. Btw, how did you determine there is half a pint of oil in your coolant? Oh, it is indeed harmful to run your engine for very long this way, not knowing where the possible bomb is lurking.

Last edited:
Oil in your coolant is better than coolant in your oil but it still shouldn’t be there. You can run it but should be checked sooner rather then later. The starting point is to Pressure test the coolant system to see if it will hold.

Have it professionally evaluated, starting with pulling the heat exchanger and having it pressure tested. Hopefully it ends there. Btw, how did you determine there is half a pint of oil in your coolant? Oh, it is indeed harmful to run your engine for very long this way, not knowing where the possible bomb is lurking.

OP has already ruled out oil cooler, and the heat exchanger does not interface coolant/oil, only raw water/coolant.
My first guess would be head gasket leak too.
I'd consider the problem to be a high priority item, as leaks tend to grow over time and with use.

Is this Lehman 120, 135, or turbo?

My oil and bubbles in coolant was the beggining of a head gasket failure. Maybe an ounce over several years and 2800 hrs of running.

Engine seemed fine, but after head gasket replacement this summer, starts are a touch faster though not bad before.

The machine guy pointed out the very beginning of the failure...I just barely noted the differences.

I was not retorquing regularly, now I will.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom