Oil filter relocation kit for Volvo Tamd40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiku

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Carpe Diem
Vessel Make
Storebro 34
Hi!

Does anyone know if there are some kits available for the engine? I know that Volvo makes one but it's so incredibly expensive that I'm looking for an alternative. There are some aluminium kits around ebay but I think they are meant for gas engines, is there a difference?

My oil filter is nearly inaccessible on the sb engine and either I need to lift the fuel tank or find someone who is smaller than me to change the filter (would still be a hassle).

Any info is highly appreciated.

I had one installed on my re-power.

A good modification to be sure if plumbing dosn't leak and I've never heard of that happening.

I have no idea how to purchase equipment in Finland.

I'd guess there's no difference between gas and diesel here but I don't know.

Can you show us your avatar pic so we can see your boat in a larger image. Looks like your windshield is curved. Not made of multiple pcs of flat glass.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm slightly hesitant to put aluminium parts on the engine, especially when it is a big and heavy diesel.. Maybe it would work? Dont know...

The windshield is in two parts, both pieces are curved. There are better pic in the blog if interested.

www.storebro34rc.blogspot.fi

Attachments

• image-1296219186.jpg
    image-1296219186.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 165
That's a real classy boat tiku. Real classy.

Love your engineering and jacks and metal tube hull supports ect. How old is the boat? Like your 5 blade props too. And your boat wake.

Skoda. That's a Russian car isn't it? On second thought it dosn't sound Russian.

Last edited:
Thanks... She's only 44 years young from 1969. One of the first Storebro's made with glass hull, back in those days the glass hull was an expensive extra.

Skoda is originally an old brand from Czech Republic, nowadays owned by the same company as VW, Audi and Bugatti.

Last edited:
I think you are right, some of the cheap, diecast aluminum, filter mounts are not trustworthy. I have used MOROSO brand and Wix brand with success but in both cases they were mounted off the engine so the hoses took the vibration.
The hoses can be tricky too in addition to being oil compatable, they must be rated 240F continous temp rated, & 100 psi pressure rated.
Good luck.

Tiku:

Same problem with the filter on my Sb Volvo. I solved it when I stumbled upon a piece of lead, covered in plastic, about 18" long and 8 " wide, that allows you to fold one end against the block just below the oil filter and make a trough of the rest of it, so the oil will flow into a shallow container that is located just outside the stringer. This requires you to lay across the engine when spinning off the filter, with the shallow container and the bit of lead being held in place until you get the filter out of the way. Before finding that stuff at a NAPA store for $20, I used a plastic garbage bag held under the oil filter, but always got a mess.

We have one for our starboard Lehman. Keeps the major service items on the walk down center isle. Nothing but a simple bracket and some hoses. Could easily be self rigged.

Hi!

Does anyone know if there are some kits available for the engine? I know that Volvo makes one but it's so incredibly expensive .......

Get the Volvo part number for the kit and then do a web search on that number. You may come across a third party kit.

For example, I put the Volvo part number for a water pump impeller into a web search and found several third party replacements.

Just remember, it's always possible to make something cheaper than the other guy but you masy have to cut corners to do so.

If you have trouble finding what you are looking for, a decent machine shop could fabricate one...may not be as bad price-wise as you think. I have known people to do it.

Volvo makes one for the 43 series that would work. However it does not work for my 40 series as a kit, so we looked up the prices in parts. The connector (in place of original filter) was over 300 euros alone, so I think that I will bite the bullet and get innovative in how to get the old one out. Maybe even go so far to bribe someone smaller than me to crawl into the the very limited space.

Maybe the aftermarket thirdparty atuff would work but in my case this just became a longterm project...

Volvo makes one for the 43 series that would work. However it does not work for my 40 series as a kit, so we looked up the prices in parts. The connector (in place of original filter) was over 300 euros alone, so I think that I will bite the bullet and get innovative in how to get the old one out. Maybe even go so far to bribe someone smaller than me to crawl into the the very limited space.

Maybe the aftermarket thirdparty atuff would work but in my case this just became a longterm project...

Let us know if you find anything tiku, I have only a single Volvo but it is set down into the keel and have the same issue, fuel filter as well.

Volvo Filter access

LaBomba,

I feel your pain. I typically only change my oil a little more once a year, but it is indeed a real pain on this Volvo.
I would certainly be open to some kind of adapter that brings the oil out to a bulkhead where I could mount the filter.

If you guys ever come up with a nice solution for the TAMD40, I would like to get in on it too. Unfortunately, this project is still pretty far down my long list.....

Thanks.

Attachments

• Oil Filter Mount.JPG
    Oil Filter Mount.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 244
I like this kind of stuff! I did this with the old BMW diesel. Unfortunately I let the adapter go with the engine. But I still have the spin on mount in my shed (PH8A I think).

First, cross reference your Volvo filter on the major brand sites. Baldwin, Wix, Fram, etc.. Start copying and pasting. Not a big Fram fan, but they have a good crossover site.

I used Volvo part number 471034 to get Fram PH3306A, Wix 51596, and Baldwin B447.

The Fram site is really the best. You can see all of the other filter numbers and applications from that site. Now you test your Google skills with the cross reference engines, equipment and filter numbers. Something will pop up.

That casting in Delta_JimS picture looks aluminum to me. If so, I'd have no qualms with an aluminum adapter.

Thanks for all the info...

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7738870-22-3422.aspx this is the setup for 43 series.

The parts my Volvo dealer suggested were 26, 27, 28, 21these would mount to the engine. Then I think you would need to purchase item number 18 as well, or replce it with something from some filter manufacturer...

Looking at the prices on the marineparts site (which I had forgot to check) it seems they would be nearly half of what the dealer wants.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom