Oil filter equivalent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got the admiral to agree she needs a vacuum sealer for the kitchen. Need to bag up stuff on the boat. PO was very proud of his MANY 4 year old spares in the engine room. Impellers, belts, filters. Not sure I trust them as they have been down there in the heat for that long. I have quickly learned that having enough spares is a fine line of sorts.
It's a good idea to have spares with purchase date on the packaging. When performing routine maintenance, use the oldest spare and replace it with a new one. I try to limit my routine maintenance boat spares to 2 years or less. Some items such as impellers get changed annually whether they need it or not, as the spares are going bad just sitting. Usually this means I get to change them when it's convenient for me.

Ted

I can't stand wondering about these things so if it doesn't have a date on it or I didn't purchase it myself and know the date I did so then it goes in the trash. Still doesn't account for how long it had been sitting on the shelf but close enough I guess....

If i am correct and remember right carquest filters are Baldwin id have to ask again. Napa I remember is wix. But in my road vehicle always had fram extra guard and for 200k miles never a worry. All my diesels regular oil changes and not over working them ive barely had a issue mechanically, electronics thats a different story.

The VERY FIRST oil filter used on an engine is the most important one. It will catch machining swarf from the builder. Beyond that, if you find yourself needing a "longer" filter, or whatever, your engine is soon to be off to a rebuilder anyway.

I like Eastings answer.:)

Beyond that, if you find yourself needing a "longer" filter, or whatever, your engine is soon to be off to a rebuilder anyway.
/QUOTE]

I don't know what you are trying to say here. Can you explain?

If you have caught a filters' worth of 50 micron, or greater particles in one oil change period, to the point where the filter is full; you have a bad engine, that is shedding metal at a very fast rate. Cam lobe, bore scoring, etc.

Thanks Dave. Never though about it that way. A larger filter has GOT to be better than a small one right? Not so much I guess. Well, as long as you change them in a reasonable time/hours frame. With only a year of trawler ownership under my belt I am already noticing how much stuff I do that has no real impact on the boat but only serves to make ME feel better....

If you have caught a filters' worth of 50 micron, or greater particles in one oil change period, to the point where the filter is full; you have a bad engine, that is shedding metal at a very fast rate. Cam lobe, bore scoring, etc.

Yes BUT short filter will clog up sooner.
50 micron is a BIG particle for an engine, it won't matter the filter size or brand if the filter allows those to pass.

from a random internet link: “For the Fram Ultra Guard filter, it is 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns it's 94 percent efficient.”

anyway, the oil filter has about 10X the sieve size than a paper engine air filter, as another example.

My point was not any type of attack on the efficiency on filters. But to the issue of a filter full of "material", is most likely metal, and that much metal is going to be an issue very soon. short or long filter.

SMX Multi-Stage Filtration Systems

Just to understand the basics of what we offer as to a Marine filtration product:

All of the filters we use are based on Fleetguard products as we deem them as the highest quality available, the latest technology around, competitively priced, and readily available.

But with that said, before we committed, I was 100% sure that other companies could supply what they call "like for like replacements".. To infer otherwise is simple not true..

Just go to Baldwin, Wix, Donaldson, or NAPA and type in the Fleetguard Numbers we supply.. You will find a cross reference(s) for all.

As to their quality vs, Fleetguard, I will leave that up to the skeptical , or the ones that question what we have designed and tested for well over 20 years in real marine service and in use on well over 1000 vessels that operate in commercial service.

All is good, but let's be sure of all the facts before you post.

Tony

"As to their quality vs, Fleetguard, I will leave that up to the skeptical , or the ones that question what we have designed and tested for well over 20 years in real marine service and in use on well over 1000 vessels that operate in commercial service

What name brand filter has failed? What was the failure ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom