Oil availability in Caribbean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sealife

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea life
Vessel Make
Krogen 42 #61
Running low on ships stores of Rotella oil for the red monster. Have not seen any "quality" oil since leaving the US. Anyone know when I can expect to resupply?....Panama, Columbia, Peurto Rico will be the next 3 stops. I would prefer Rotella, as that is what I have always used.

Thanks

....Panama, Columbia, Peurto Rico will be the next 3 stops. I would prefer Rotella, as that is what I have always used.
Thanks

You'll have no problem getting quality oil in Panama and Puerto Rico. In Panama, Bocos and Colon will have it and Puerto Rico has Walmart/Sam's Club. Colombia is close to Panama so I'd just take another oil change with me.

Just a heads up, Colombia's diesel is a bio-diesel blend of 8-12% depending on who you talk to.

Edit: For parts in Panama, if we couldn't find a source locally, we used Marine Warehouse. http://www.marinewarehouse.net/contact.html

In the Caribbean we used Budget Marine, similar to West Marine but better in IMHO. http://www.budgetmarine.com/Store.aspx

Last edited:
Thanks Larry. Cancun Walmart didnt have Rotella. Thread creep....was thinking of fueling in Almirante just south of Bocas. Thoughts? Worth the trip, or can I get really clean fuel afordable in Bocas?

Bocos is fine for fuel, Colon might be better at Shelter Bay Marina but not by much. After Colon, you'll pretty much be using jerry jugs till you get to Colombia. If you can make it through Colombia, the ABC's has good fuel with Curacao being the cheapest.

Last edited:
Rotella is not available in St. Lucia and on Martinique. It is available in Puerto Rico, but be aware there is an extra deposit charge for oil which is refunded when you return the used oil.

Also straight 30 weight oil is difficult to find (impossible some countries) in the Eastern Caribbean. Island Water World in St. Lucia sells it by the gallon (bring own jug).

Rotella you can find is St Maarten...

Hugues

Marty, I use straight 40 weight in my Leman based on temp range in manual. It is sometimes even more elusive then straight 30! I have 2 more oil changes on board...so Puerto Rico it is. I can easily carry 16 gallons, although I have to share that with gen. I suspect once Im over in the Eastern Caribbean, I wont go thru as much as fast as over here. Seems every time I change countries its a few days underway!

rimco cat has several locations down that way. they would have plenty of cat deo. cost might not be attractive but its better than nothing.

RIMCO - Locations

Marty, I use straight 40 weight in my Leman based on temp range in manual. It is sometimes even more elusive then straight 30! I have 2 more oil changes on board...so Puerto Rico it is. I can easily carry 16 gallons, although I have to share that with gen. I suspect once Im over in the Eastern Caribbean, I wont go thru as much as fast as over here. Seems every time I change countries its a few days underway!

Straight 40 weight is readily available in the Eastern Caribbean. I have purchased it in Trinidad, Grenada, St. Lucia, Martinique and Antigua.

The brands may not be Rotella but it is straight 40 weight. In the English speaking islands you can usually find Rimula made by Shell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom