oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
At the auto store here in Ireland, I'm looking at the semi synthetic oils, multi weight, and most of the them say they are for both gas and diesel engines, with service ratings of SN & CF

What do you think?

I understand the issues with multi weights, and know that a semi synthetic will probably increase my oil consumption a bit.

But what else?

I don't remember seeing these combined sn aha cf pulls in the US.

I still need to buy oil this winter. The one thing I should have brought more of, other than mayonnaise, of course.

Richard, try oilspecifications.org
What is the sulphur content of the fuel you are using?

Via iPhone.

Richard, try oilspecifications.org
What is the sulphur content of the fuel you are using?

Via iPhone.

Let me get my test tube and Bunsen burner and I'll tell you.

CF rated oil is fine for your engine. Lots of folks - me included - use multiweight in their Lehmans. It *may* increase your usage a bit, but it may not also. Any modern oil will be as good or better than the best available oil when our engines were designed.

Ken

Cf is what you want for the Azores fuel. sn is for the ulsd euro spec you are probably going to buy. Higher dose of alkaline additives required to neutralize acids for high sulphur fuel.

Via iPhone.

In short, the 's' in sn is for spark ignition (gasoline engines) and the 'c' in cf is for compression ignition (diesel). you want a 'c' rated oil of at least f tolerance spec. Also there is usually a 2 or 4 with it meaning 2 or 4 stroke.

Last edited:
If you have difficulty finding CF API rated oil, it was replaced a few years ago. I believe they're up to API "CJ" now:

CJ-4 Current - 2006
Introduced in 2006 for high-speed four-stroke engines. Designed to meet 2007 on-highway exhaust emission standards. CJ-4 oils are compounded for use in all applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulphur content up to 500ppm (0.05% by weight). However, use of these oils with greater than 15ppm sulfur fuel may impact exhaust after treatment system durability and/or oil drain intervals. CJ-4 oils are effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters and other advanced after treatment systems are used. CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of CF-4, C-4, AH-4 and C-4.

Thanks guys.

My initial plan was to use 10w-40 in the winter and straight 30 in summer.

But now, I thinking of using the 10w-40 year around, as I'll be in the northern Europe for at least the next two years.

Then, for the next passage, use straight 30 or 40, as the oil change intervals may be longer and straight wts seem more tolerant of that.

Find out what the locals are using for their four stroke diesels. API CF or Cx, with x being the second letter higher than "F" should be fine for your Ford. Either SAE30 or 15W40. I would not bother with synthetic or synthetic blend, neither is beneficial on your motor. Euro ratings may use a different system than API, but often the jugs are labeled with both. That's where asking around the docks can help. Any lube good for a modern Euro diesel is going to be fine in the Ford.

You probably do not have much high sulfur Azore fuel left to affect oil choice. Any fuel you pick up in Euro zone I'm sure is low S.

Last edited:
Find out what the locals are using for their four stroke diesels. API CF or Cx, with x being the second letter higher than "F" should be fine for your Ford. Either SAE30 or 15W40. I would not bother with synthetic or synthetic blend, neither is beneficial on your motor. Euro ratings may use a different system than API, but often the jugs are labeled with both. That's where asking around the docks can help. Any lube good for a modern Euro diesel is going to be fine in the Ford.

You probably do not have much high sulfur Azore fuel left to affect oil choice. Any fuel you pick up in Euro zone I'm sure is low S.

Almost all they sell is a blend or pure synthetic.

No.mute Azores fuel left. I was able to salvage most of it, 40 gal, only threw away less than 10 gal.
I think I have determined it is the fuel vent that let all that water in on the Lee side.

In Europe you can use every oil with the MIL-L-46152 B spec. in older diesel engines.

The MIl spec. is printed on the Can.

CeesH

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom