Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #21

City: Miami
When you pulled the turbos was there lots of carbon on the vanes? I'd call the turbo shop and ask them for some input as well. What rpm do you typically run at? I had an injector tip go through a turbo once, but that resulted in a whole different set of symptoms. Darn thing still got us home though.

Via iPhone.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #22
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafesport View Post
When you pulled the turbos was there lots of carbon on the vanes? I'd call the turbo shop and ask them for some input as well. What rpm do you typically run at? I had an injector tip go through a turbo once, but that resulted in a whole different set of symptoms. Darn thing still got us home though.

Via iPhone.
That's what started this whole mess
When we pulled the turbo the veins were damaged. So we needed to find the cause. Did it self destruct or did it suffer from external damage.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #23
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
If only one of the vanes is missing, it might be prudent to do a LPI (dye penetrant test) on the turbine (exhaust side) wheels to see if there is cracking evident. Might just be fatigue stress at end of life or due to overheating.

Generally speaking, when something goes through a turbo, it wipes out more than one vane, Indeed, it usually takes them all.

You may be looking for a cause that is non-existent.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #24
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Post a photo of the turbo damage.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
If only one of the vanes is missing, it might be prudent to do a LPI (dye penetrant test) on the turbine (exhaust side) wheels to see if there is cracking evident. Might just be fatigue stress at end of life or due to overheating.

Generally speaking, when something goes through a turbo, it wipes out more than one vane, Indeed, it usually takes them all.

You may be looking for a cause that is non-existent.
I think rebuilding a turbo is relatively cheap?? At least in my neck of the woods it is.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Yup. Usually is. Not a lot of moving parts...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Not much to add other then I wish you a speedy repair!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #28

City: Miami
At 100,000 plus rpm little things matter. Doesn't take much to throw the whole turbo out of balance. What causes this, could also be causing your other symptoms especially considering only 350 hrs smoh. Rebuild both turbos, bolt them back on and run the hell out of the engines for 10 hours and see what happens.

Via iPhone.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #29
Guru

I don't have a picture of the turbo damage. Best I could do is ask the rebuild house what was the extent of the damage. The turbos have already been rebuilt, that is done. It's just this issue of cause and effect. We hate like hell to pit this thing back together only to take it apart again.
I'll see if I can get a report from the turbo people but it still doesn't address the deviation in compression between cylinders.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #30
Guru

So we're going to reassemble the whole mess, drop it back in the water and then recheck the compression. Since I'm in Cincinnati and the boats in Detroit it'll take the yard about a week to have it ready to launch.
I'll report back once I find answers.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #31
Guru

Was it the exhaust turbine that came apart or the air side impeller?
Old 06-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Was it the exhaust turbine that came apart or the air side impeller?
We were told the exhaust Ski but I asked for a confirmation. Quite frankly if it was air side I'll be pissed as the engine didn't cause the issue. I'll hold my thoughts until I hear from the repair facility.
Are you thinking something?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #33
Guru

Chunks from the turbine generally exit the engine with no harm. Just chunks in the muffler. Chunks from air side impeller go towards blower. Generally get stopped by intercooler if TI engine, right into blower on T engine.

Kinda rare for turbine to get eat up unless debris from engine hits it, but if that was the case, comp would be zero on a hole or two from missing valve parts. None is zero.

Ain't got my arms around this one yet.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #34
Guru

I'm with you on this. I guess we'll know better when I get the report.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:05 AM   #35

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Perhaps the turbo is slobbering when cold, my Saviem/Mack did that, white smoke. Cleared at temperature.
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones44 View Post
Perhaps the turbo is slobbering when cold, my Saviem/Mack did that, white smoke. Cleared at temperature.
Its a Detroit, they all do that.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #37
Guru

So here we are almost 2 months to the day from my last post on this subject. The boat has been floating since the 6th of July. The plan was to reassemble and then retest the engine. I had to leave for a week and I had my guys in there for two weeks installing my new inverter system. (which worked out great, the inverter install) The yard can't seem to find the energy to get involved to complete this thing and I'm ready to kill them. You'd think they'd want to get paid.
Some how through this they have managed to bugger my shifter cable/linkage as now the Port engine (the one with the issue) isn't moving smoothly. They of course said there was nothing wrong and just give some fuel so they can see how it runs on the way over to their marina. Having owned this boat for 14 years I know how it supposed to shift and it isn't right so it isn't going over 700 RPM on the way to the yard as we all know who pays for the damage if it's not all the way in gear.

Meanwhile they want to put the jackets on the turbo's. Well part of the reason they started this mess in first place was I had a leaky turbo connection on the exhaust side. Needless to say I won't let them put the jackets on until the engines have been run up under load to confirm no leaks.

Question to large turbo experts. If I increase RPM up to 2000 while in neutral is there enough exhaust pressure between the turbo and the elbow to check for a leak?
I'm to the point where I need to deal with these items myself and get my boat the hell out of there before i get arrested for assault (or worse).

Old 08-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Question to large turbo experts. If I increase RPM up to 2000 while in neutral is there enough exhaust pressure between the turbo and the elbow to check for a leak?
Turbo's generally do not develop positive pressure unless under load...Reving in neutral will not accomplish that.
My observations from years of experience with Audi gas Turbos and VW Diesel turbos with accurate boost gauges..
Old 08-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #39

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
I can only tell you from my trucking experience, you won't get ANY boost or manifold pressure while at idle. Has to be under a pretty decent load before the turbo spins up.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #40
Guru

Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking but I thought I'd ask.