Northern Lights vs. Kohler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
It's time to upgrade. I'm tired of trying to find parts for my old Onan. The replacement has been narrowed down to either a Northern Lights or Kohnler. I'd go with the NL but the Kohnler is way cheaper for the same KW. Do you guys have any pros or cons on these two in the 9 KW class?

It's time to upgrade. I'm tired of trying to find parts for my old Onan. The replacement has been narrowed down to either a Northern Lights or Kohnler. I'd go with the NL but the Kohnler is way cheaper for the same KW. Do you guys have any pros or cons on these two in the 9 KW class?
Northern Lights all the way, again I'm little biased. I feel the Koehler is too electronic, at least the versions I saw at FLIBS this year. A generator should be a simple thing, not something you plug into to your computer via a usb cable. Here's one I found on ebay during a quick search. $6500 not bad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENERATOR-9..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item43c2bb5334&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
Kinda like engines. We all have our favorites but in the end, there are a few you(or I) would stay away from. Then there are the rest that should be just fine as long as you take care of them. That is where those two brands land. If I had the choice and money was not an object, I would go with the NL...and that is strictly based on rep. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with Kohler or Onan. I would do my due diligence of course. Sometimes there are certain models within a particular line that are less favorable than others.

I can't comment on the Kohler, but we have 12kw (1300 hrs) and 20kw (1700 hrs) NL and would not trade them for anything. Both run well, are amazingly quiet in their sound enclosures, and we have not had any issues whatsoever with either one.

Westerbeke in the running?

higgins: I just recon'd my Northern Lights in a local shop here. If you had seen and heard what I did in that shop while I was working on it, you'd know not to go with the Kohler. Looking at the difference in windings alone would convince you. They've been in the gen business for 30 years and rarely see a Northern Lights for anything. Kohlers are all over the shop. I'd buy a used or recon Northern Lights to a new Kohler anytime.

The only thing I can think to add, which you probably already know, is that a genset that runs at 1,800rpm is better then one that runs at 3,600. All things being equal of course.

The only thing I can think to add, which you probably already know, is that a genset that runs at 1,800rpm is better then one that runs at 3,600. All things being equal of course.
Yep. Plus when's the last time you've heard of a Lugger break down?

As suggested, Westerbeke is worth a look. The quality of the install and ongoing maintenance will overshadow the name on the side. My vote is NL, Westerbeke and then the others.

I was to the NL shop in Seattle. Very well run and clean. Every thing double checked. Staff very helpful and proud of their work . NL first chice.

Onan is now Cummins in Australia. Does that apply in USA too?

I'm hesitant to comment here because I'm honestly not as familiar as I'd like to be with the newer Kohler marine generators.

What I do know is that Kohler makes a very good generator. Actually everything Kohler makes is very good quality.

When my Westerbeke needed a new generator end due to bearing failure along with some catching up on defered maintenance from the previous owner I was quoted approx 8500 for a new 8kw westerbeke and 12.5k for a new Northern lights 9 kW.

Knowing the quality of the Northern lights units, and being a Marathon generator dealer I didn't even think about the westerbeke.

The northern lights generators use Marathon generator ends. Which are arguably the best made. That's not to say you do not occasionally get a bad one, but they are very well built heavy units.

So, back to the op's question, I'd opt for the Northern lights, but not because there is anything wrong with the Kohler line.

Kohler/Deere are installed in a lot of larger yachts and have an excellent service history.

Kohler versus NL

higgins: I just recon'd my Northern Lights in a local shop here. If you had seen and heard what I did in that shop while I was working on it, you'd know not to go with the Kohler. Looking at the difference in windings alone would convince you. They've been in the gen business for 30 years and rarely see a Northern Lights for anything. Kohlers are all over the shop. I'd buy a used or recon Northern Lights to a new Kohler anytime.

I haven't studied the internals enough to know the difference between the two but it may be the reason you see more in the repair shop is the relative numbers in the market place. In my survey business I see by far more Onans and Kohlers in typical production models going back many years and continues to this day. Given enough time and/or abuse they all end up in the shop or replaced sooner or later...

Given enough time and/or abuse they all end up in the shop or replaced sooner or later...

Yep ... new bearings, low IR, any number of reasons to pull them for a shop service.

When the engine reaches the point where it is uneconomical to repair and the generator end is still good, it goes to the shop where it can be prepared as a replacement for one that failed or the owner didn't have time to wait for a rewind or bakeout.

Is it fair to say in the 8-12 KW range that whether NL, Westerbeke or Kohler (1800 rpm versions) all will give good service for a long time if set up correctly and maintained properly? If so it then becomes a cost discussion. The notion that Ford is better than Chevy seems a large part of this discussion.

My experience with marine gensets suggests, aside from desultory maintenance, improper exhaust setup and water entering the generator end are the primary causes of success or failure.

Given the smarts of Parmenter even a Panda can work!

Will only report as a NL owner and 3000 hours it has worked as designed, happy owner.

I've a friend who clocked 3000 hours out of his GAS Westerbeke before he sold his Tolly 44.

Is it fair to say in the 8-12 KW range that whether NL, Westerbeke or Kohler (1800 rpm versions) all will give good service for a long time if set up correctly and maintained properly? If so it then becomes a cost discussion. The notion that Ford is better than Chevy seems a large part of this discussion.

My experience with marine gensets suggests, aside from desultory maintenance, improper exhaust setup and water entering the generator end are the primary causes of success or failure.

Given the smarts of Parmenter even a Panda can work!

I would agree with that.

I think marine generators die more from lack of use, than actual use, at least in the pacnw and I suppose other areas where air conditioning is not as frequently used.

I would agree with that. I think marine generators die more from lack of use, than actual use, at least in the pacnw and I suppose other areas where air conditioning is not as frequently used.

Agree with all...read my first post.

And on your other point....it seems most people do everything they can NOT to start the genset. They even spends thousands of dollars on systems(ie solar panels) to prevent them from starting the genset. I just simply.......start the MFing genset and load her up. No guilt here and I feel it is good for the machinery.

Kevin-yours is an interesting point. In a lot of years boating, I actually have never heard anyone mention the generator end of the genset. I certainly have never given it a thought. All mention is of the engine end. I always just sort of assumed that the generator end came from the maker of the genset, not from a third party manufacturer. Thanks for enlightening me!

My genset got a new electrical end a few years back...the Westerbeke engine is original now going on 25 years and almost 5400 hrs.

Agree with all...read my first post.

And on your other point....it seems most people do everything they can NOT to start the genset. They even spends thousands of dollars on systems(ie solar panels) to prevent them from starting the genset. I just simply.......start the MFing genset and load her up. No guilt here and I feel it is good for the machinery.

I agree completely. We use our generator all the time.

Often times at the dock, for example when washing clothes I actually disconnect the shore power because the loads are too much for the 30 amp shore power, but the generator works fine.

Agree with all...read my first post. And on your other point....it seems most people do everything they can NOT to start the genset. They even spends thousands of dollars on systems(ie solar panels) to prevent them from starting the genset. I just simply.......start the MFing genset and load her up. No guilt here and I feel it is good for the machinery.
Im totally in 100% agreement with this!:thumb: People don't see the bigger picture, or there too narrow minded to see it.

Kevin-yours is an interesting point. In a lot of years boating, I actually have never heard anyone mention the generator end of the genset. I certainly have never given it a thought. All mention is of the engine end. I always just sort of assumed that the generator end came from the maker of the genset, not from a third party manufacturer. Thanks for enlightening me!

People do not realize that the generator business is really putting together parts and putting your name on the generator.

Not all manufacturers are like this of course but thats the way it is for the most part.

A generator is nothing more than a prime mover (engine) coupled to a generator end, and add a control panel. Choose your brands.

The interface between the generator and the engine is all using standard SAE sized equipment now days. The engine has a SAE bellhousing and flywheel, and the generator end has the matching bellhousing and flex plates that bolt to the flywheel.

This trend at least in smaller generators started with the first EPA regulations years ago. Remember the ONAN MDJ series of generators. That was a ONAN engine with a tapered crank shaft fitted to an ONAN YD alternator.

The EPA caused ONAN to rethink wether they wanted to be in the engine business and they dropped the engine lines and went with bulk engine suppliers. Then they also dropped the generator end manufacturing side and bought generator ends.

Later Onan units were Kubota powered if memory serves correctly, and they were running Stamford Newage generator ends.

Northern Lights uses Kubota engines and Marathon generator ends in their small units. For awhile they used a brand out of Japan that was pretty good.

Control panels can come from several sources. A company called Deep Sea Electronics PLC seems to dominate that market.

So, if you want to build your own generator...

Buy a engine
govern it at 1800 rpm (or 1200 if you want a really long lasting unit)
Buy a generator end
Buy a control panel

Walla, Trawler Forum brand generators :)

There is no choice, NL. Low maintenance and very simple and no fancy electronic controls.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

I agree completely. We use our generator all the time.

Often times at the dock, for example when washing clothes I actually disconnect the shore power because the loads are too much for the 30 amp shore power, but the generator works fine.

Some docks in our area do not allow you to run the genset at the dock. For noise reasons I suppose. Our Splendide 2000 works fine on 30 amp shore power, although we have to be careful of other loads at the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom