Old 07-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Jax
Vessel Name: JoSea
Vessel Model: Bertram 58 MY
I had a NL bug like this a few years ago. The female fitting in the block connector had deformed and was not all the way up to make great contact with the relays male spade coming in. If yours are upside down (harness side up), any small tool can help push the block connectors down while pushing the relay in.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #22

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
I had a NL bug like this a few years ago. The female fitting in the block connector had deformed and was not all the way up to make great contact with the relays male spade coming in. If yours are upside down (harness side up), any small tool can help push the block connectors down while pushing the relay in.
I've already removed the whole block of sockets from the control box wall and turned them all upside down (twice) to make sure the connections are good. But your suggestion should certainly be part of any troubleshooting of a problem like this. (Besides, I think my problem was the fuse - see my UPDATE post below.)

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #23

UPDATE: I'm pretty sure the problem is solved. Massive thanks to twistedtree (post #3) and Ski in NC (post #10) for suggesting the reset-only fuse. I've been running great without one (jumpered around it) for many days now, without a hitch. Yesterday, my new fuse arrived and I put it in, and ran for at least 90 minutes last night. Everything is still perfect!

My relay/socket block is still zip-tied out in space to isolate it from as much vibration as possible, but I don't think that was my problem - I think it was that fuse / circuit breaker. I got all new relays, but haven't put any of them in yet, and if everything keeps working, I won't put them in - I'll just have two complete sets of spares!

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this. As always, I wish I had posted my problem here earlier - TF is such an incredible source of knowledge!
Old 07-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
I think this may be my issue. The “run” relay socket, in particular, requires me to push from beneath as I’m plugging in the relay. Eventually, the vibes get to anything in this box.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I think this may be my issue. The “run” relay socket, in particular, requires me to push from beneath as I’m plugging in the relay. Eventually, the vibes get to anything in this box.
Larry, my Run Relay seemed to be the biggest offender, too. It actually popped completely out of its socket on at least 2 different occasions! As suggested above, I used pliers to put a small twist in the plug / pin of each relay, gooped them up with dielectric grease, and seated them - the twist definitely made them fit more tightly.

Then I went one step further. I had some starboard that had been cut into some corner trim, so it looked like angle iron. I cut a 4" piece of that and put it on top of the relays, then used a really long zip tie (you can use two zipped together) to got over the top of it and under the relay block. Now, there's now way the relays can come loose.