Northern lights genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I have a 6 kw genset . Tried to start it after a 3 mos of not running . Can’t get it to start ... any suggestions? Before I call a machanic Thanks

Cranking speed ok?
Electric fuel pump runs?
Fuel valves open?

If you have a waterlift muffler, be sure to close the sea cock while you're cranking. Water can back up into the engine otherwise.

If it is a Yanmar it should start easily. Check for a pre heat button on the genset. You may have to go below too find it. I hold mine "on" for 30 - 45 seconds then hit start.

If you have not changed anything since last time it ran it should be simple, be sure your battery is fully charged.

pete

...and on mine you need to hold that preheat switch from cranking until it is running at speed.

Could it have lost prime for some reason?

Go push the manual primer. Hit glow plugs and watch amp gauge to see if it is good. It will peg if good. It should start even with air in lines if pump primes.

Do you hear the stop solenoid click open when you hit the preheat button? That solenoid pushes a plunger or something in the fuel rack so fuel can flow to injectors. Mine stuck closed after a long winter and I was able to loosen it up with a finger.

Got it going .. I think it may have been to cold ..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom