Old 09-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Northern Lights Generator Valve Adjustment

Folks, need your assistance. I need to adjust my 9KW, ( 3 cyl.) diesel genny at 50 hours and want to make sure iím Understanding the manual which is not totally clear.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Rotate crankshaft to TDC of #1 cylinder compression stroke, e.g. both valves on#1 cylinder will be closed. At that point adjust clearance for #1 intake and exhaust valves, and then #2 exh valve which should be closed?

Rotate another 360 and then adjust #3 intake and exhaust, ( both should be closed and on their compression stroke) and then #2 intake which should be closed?

Thanks

jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:49 AM   #2
Guru

City: Anacortes
Just watch the valves, let them lift and fall then after they close and stop moving and clearly off the lobe, you can adjust them. Maybe a little more cranking this way, but nothing to remember. There are usually different specs for intake and exhaust valves, donít mix them up. Easy job, nothing to fear.

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
As above. Another way to describe it: Slowly watch valves as you rotate crank in normal running direction (CW as viewed from front).. Pick a cylinder and watch the intake valve rocker. When it stops moving (valve closed), that means the compression stroke is starting. Rotate crank another 120deg and you will be close to firing TDC. Both int and exh rockers should now be loose. Adjust both int and exh valves at that crank position on that cylinder.

Pick another cylinder and repeat the above til all three cyl have been adjusted. Can't go wrong.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdavi View Post
Folks, need your assistance. I need to adjust my 9KW, ( 3 cyl.) diesel genny at 50 hours and want to make sure iím Understanding the manual which is not totally clear.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Rotate crankshaft to TDC of #1 cylinder compression stroke, e.g. both valves on#1 cylinder will be closed. At that point adjust clearance for #1 intake and exhaust valves, and then #2 exh valve which should be closed?

Rotate another 360 and then adjust #3 intake and exhaust, ( both should be closed and on their compression stroke) and then #2 intake which should be closed?

Thanks

Yes, you have it correctly. As Ski said, if you rotate the crank in the normal direction you'll see the progression of the valve movement. I personally think that once you're there and start doing it, it will make sense.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Thanks!
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote