Old 07-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Injector Pump Removal & Replacement

Perkins T6.354, dripping fuel from where the throttle linkage goes into the injector pump. Mechanic didn't return my calls, and there's an injector shop just up the road with a good reputation. So, I'm thinking of removing and re-installing it myself, with a trip to the shop in between.

I've never done this job. Lots of stuff to unhook and re-attach, but it looks straightforward enough.

How about the re-install? Any tips? I understand I need to get the timing just right. That's the kind of thing I usually leave to the experts, but we're in the high season now and I know I won't get anyone to look at it for weeks.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I friend with limited mechanical skills did his, just follow the procedure in the service manual and every thing will work as it should. Replace all the gaskets, copper washers on the high pressure lines and all the rubber olives (seals) on the low pressure lines. His runs fine and the timing wasn't difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 07-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
This is a common problem with the rotary CAV pump and it's just O-rings on the pump cover.

Check back through the archives Capt. Tom. There were several good discussions on replacing the O-rings in the case of the CAV rotary pump on the 6-354. They're installed on the inside of the cover. So the cover does need to come off. If memory serves me right, it seems like it can done without removing the pump. If you can't find the discussion, maybe Flywright or one of the admin people can find it or one of the guys who have done it can walk you through it.

I haven't had to do it yet.....knock on wood!!
Old 07-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Hope this helps;

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...eak-12506.html

CAV Injection Pump Parts---2013
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Guru

It was many years ago when I R & R'd my Perkins injector pump. Easy peasy once I bought a 7/16 swivel socket in 1/4 inch drive and a long extension to get at one of the 3 mounting bolts.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
There were several good discussions on replacing the O-rings in the case of the CAV rotary pump on the 6-354. They're installed on the inside of the cover. So the cover does need to come off. If memory serves me right, it seems like it can done without removing the pump. If you can't find the discussion, maybe Flywright or one of the admin people can find it or one of the guys who have done it can walk you through it.
Whatyoutalkin'about, Willis? Do I look like some search tool attendant?

My stbd 4.236 pump needed it, but I hired out the work to a local mechanic. He charged so much and complained so much afterwards that I regretted not doing it myself. IIRC, it was about $1500 to remove, replace with a rebuilt and install. I ended up having to fix the weeping banjo fittings after he was done whining. (Yes, I'm still whining about it, too.)

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
That's because we all have such great respect for you as a forum administrator Al.

Did you feel the "Blip, Blip" of the bus wheels passing over??

But not to worry, "Dimer2" already posted the links

PS: I'm told the injector shops always insist on rebuilding the whole pump, rather than replacing just the $2 O-rings. I wonder why??
Old 07-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
That's because we all have such great respect for you as a forum administrator Al.

Did you feel the "Blip, Blip" of the bus wheels passing over??
Yes, I still have a crick in my neck from being tossed under the bus!!

I'm but a cog in the wheel of the TF Site Team...a lowly mod. I'm not worthy of the accolades deserving of an Site Administrator. Many thanks to dimer for helping out!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
PS: I'm told the injector shops always insist on rebuilding the whole pump, rather than replacing just the $2 O-rings. I wonder why??
Yup, that's what happened. I called TAD, and they said it's probably just an o-ring, and they'd be able to sell me any parts I need, but that I couldn't really replace it on the motor (vertical pump). Not only would it be almost impossible to get the cover off, but if I succeeded all the tiny parts inside would end up in a jumble in the bilge.

So, out with the pump. Once that job was done, it made a lot more sense to bring it to an expert and have him R&R the whole thing. I'm already paying him to take it apart, and it turns out there's an injector guy just up the road with a great reputation. Took a while to find him; no advertising at all, all word of mouth.

He estimates in 3-4 days he'll return my pump and lighten my wallet to the tune of about $575. I'll post back with the results.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote