Old 09-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #21

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions & help!!! I too am beginning to question my measurements but the math works out to 7". I measured the circumference of the exhaust flange and it was 23". I also marked and removed a clamp & measured diameter of approx 7 1/2 OD. Why I didn't just measure the circumference of the hose for OD is beyond me.

Does Cat actually make the risers? These are 3208 turbos with all the cooling crap, mine are heavy stainless and appear mint. There are no mufflers, simple system just straight wire wound rubber hose from exhaust risers to back of boat.

I don't think the boat needs 7" hose, although each exhaust run is 26ft so back pressure "may" have been a concern for the builders with the standard 8" being too large to fit in the allotted design space. Probably the real truth is Albin got a deal on the 7" risers because no one else wanted them due to the fact they required a hose size that does not exist. Idiots!

In any case I'm not trying to do anything fancy here, just replace the first 6ft of hose on each header and couple the new piece to the old hose. Had I normal size hose I could have done the job in the time it took to type this. Alas, sigh... i should have known. I think it is important however that I only have the one splice in each exhaust. I liked your idea Ski but the up & down sizing & extra splice makes me uncomfortable, I have first hand knowledge of how incredibly fast a blown exhaust can sink a boat. Ted, also liked your idea but won't work as I am going from pipe to hose, not pipe to pipe.

In any case I may have solved 50% of the problem. I found a supplier of 7"ID hose in the standard black rubber but believe it or not it has to be custom made. Amazingly they are willing to do a run of 12ft. It is very expensive but still only half the cost of the "ridiculously" over-priced silicone stuff. (Note my emphasis on ridiculous)

The problem remaining is now all I need is two simple 7"OD straight couplers. I had hoped to find some stainless/bronze/plastic/any-kind pipe or tube that I could cut to use as couplers but it seems that virtually nothing is made in 7" except black iron. The OD of 6"pvc is 6 5/8 so would likely work but temp rating is too low I think.

Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Have you contacted Albin? Or Cat? Perhaps I missed it along the way. But the first thing I would do is contact the builder and second the engine manufacturer. I've got to believe you don't have the only Albin with CAT's ever to have this hose.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Parker is another source for your hose maybe.

Custom Made Heavy Duty Marine Softwall Wet Exhaust Hose, Series ES269 | Parker NA

A bet it's expensive though and as you know, measure twice and then again. (23" circumference gives you a diameter of 7.32")
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #24

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Thanks Larry, called Parker, they will make it if I order 100ft. Would have to re-mortgage my house to pay for it.

B&B, the boat was a custom build by Albin for the PO, as far as I can determine it is the only one however I did find another similar. It is radically different then all other Albins and Albin isn't very helpful. I don't think the risers were made by Cat and I have a sneaky feeling were custom made as well. In any case, who ever is responsible for the odd hose size, Albin or Cat, it is unlikely they have the hose given the major hose manufacturers don't. I really believe Albin's engineers didn't carefully calculate that 7" was required for technical reasons, rather Albin simply used up some oddball stock laying around over there in Tawain.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
I really believe Albin's engineers didn't carefully calculate that 7" was required for technical reasons, rather Albin simply used up some oddball stock laying around over there in Tawain.
You are likely correct.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Thanks Larry, called Parker, they will make it if I order 100ft. Would have to re-mortgage my house to pay for it.

B&B, the boat was a custom build by Albin for the PO, as far as I can determine it is the only one however I did find another similar. It is radically different then all other Albins and Albin isn't very helpful. I don't think the risers were made by Cat and I have a sneaky feeling were custom made as well. In any case, who ever is responsible for the odd hose size, Albin or Cat, it is unlikely they have the hose given the major hose manufacturers don't. I really believe Albin's engineers didn't carefully calculate that 7" was required for technical reasons, rather Albin simply used up some oddball stock laying around over there in Tawain.
Regardless Albin should have the drawings and specifications still somewhere. Now today it would be digital but many builders can pull out every boat they've built. If the risers aren't CAT, they might be able to tell you what they are. Just a chance.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
The problem remaining is now all I need is two simple 7"OD straight couplers. I had hoped to find some stainless/bronze/plastic/any-kind pipe or tube that I could cut to use as couplers but it seems that virtually nothing is made in 7" except black iron. The OD of 6"pvc is 6 5/8 so would likely work but temp rating is too low I think.
The straight coupler solution is pretty easy. Contact one of the custom marine exhaust shops. They could easily roll them out of stainless steel sheet metal and weld the seam. Heck they may have some 7" OD pipe available. None of the pipe in my new custom exhaust is standard size pipe.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:57 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Suit yourself, but total cost of ownership is much cheaper for the "ridiculously" priced blue stuff, if you plan on keeping the boat for awhile. And if you go to sell it, it's one of those a knowledgable buyer/surveyor may look at and think, hmmm, I wonder what else they cheaped out on here? At the very least, when they see the blue, it sends a strong clue that there is a bias towards quality on the boat.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #29
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
For a coupler I'd just buy some of this stuff, cut it down to the length needed and take it to the local welder to have some crush rings made.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #30
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Broken record I know, but for less than 500 HP 6" ID hose may prove sufficient. At 375 HP you are well below the size limit. Read boatdiesel exhaust system article for a more detailed explanation. Going to 6" may open up some simpler fitting options. Are you 100% positive of hose and fitting measurements?
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #31
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
C-900 DR 14 PVC pipe has an O.D. of 6.9"

ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote