Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
How about something along these lines. Although the flybridge may not suit Marin's taste.
No, sorry.

There is no one boat that I think has it all in terms of design. Well, there's one but it's not anything anyone on this forum would be at all familiar wtih. But I like a lot of very different boats. However each one of them, fast or slow, has certain design elements I really like that are common to them all.

But none of them are production fiberglass cruising boats. There are a few production cruising boats I consider "not hideous" but I can count them on one hand.

But like I said earlier, it doesn't matter what I like. What matters is what each of you like.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Art,
I do really like the Squid. Much more emphasized more swoopy lines.

dwhatty,
I thought it was a Krogen Express but it is'nt is it. I like them both but I think I like the Express better. We have a green Express that that comes to Thorne Bay every year. Sure like to look at it.

CPseudonym,
Thanks for the nice words about Willy. Only new photo I have is the avatar. Healthustler did the art work for me. But nobody's seen it big so......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brightened final.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	10970  

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #43
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Art, That's the appeal of boating, there seems to be enough designs available that one can individualize to express their true taste and sense of style. Take the thread about the boat extension that RTF rightfully described as a billiard table look. Would I buy it? No. But it appealed to someone therefor it exists. Not at all unlike other forms of recreational vehicles be they campers, hot rods, choppers, off road vehicles etc...

There is no one size fits all box that all must conform. Some like just chocolate or vanilla, most seem to fall somewhere in between. What I've gleaned from this Forum is there is enough room for all of our styles in the water we share a love affair with. After all, every boat is a compromise of sorts. What matters is does it fit your idea of what an ideal pleasure craft should be?

manyboats, Thank you for the full size image of Willy.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #44
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Me thinks the Coot is as beautiful as Ernest Borgnine. ... Function before/over beauty. ... White, plastic boats, even with the ubiquitous blue canvas, are very booorring.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #45
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Eric, your boat Willy is high on my "aesthetics list." She's a "Marlene Dietrich" despite the Willy moniker.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #46
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
The Coot is very high up on the aesthetic list IMO too. The models without the laundry flying are missing something. But as a day sail owner with a cabin cruiser fetish I'm probably a poor judge of boat design
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #47
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
dwhatty,
I thought it was a Krogen Express but it is'nt is it.
Jarvis Newman 46
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #48
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Call me a sucker if you like! As is said, each toooo their own!!

I'm hooked on Tollycraft hull designs, build quality, interior room/layout, ease of maintenance, affordability, and sea keeping capabilities. Really like their looks too! These are picts of 48'er tri cabin to which we plan eventual upgrade when we retire and cruise Pacific coast. Our current 34' Tolly tri cabin is this boat in minature, but with up galley. Perfect size for our current usage in SF Delta. Most room and comfort I've ever seen in a 34'er.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #49
Guru

Tony Athens is indeed a Cummins expert. We have a pair of brothers who own a 40 Tolly with Cummins engines and they do not hesitate to make the 100 mile plus drive to bring their stuff to Tony to work on. Sure wish I had a Volvo guru to go to.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #50
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Art,
Your Tolly is an absolutely drop dead beautiful Boat from the inside or the outside. Especially the outside. I got in trouble in the office at Uniflite for implying and actually saying other boats may be as good (better) looking as the Uniflite. Everyone there carried on like the Uniflite was the best boat in the whole wide world. They were smart and I was'nt the ideal employee ...too honest. How could I have been so dumb? I do still think the Uniflite is a great boat but it's styling was a bit like a Checker cab. Not really ugly but sort of commercial looking. If I could afford to pay for the fuel I'd love to have a 30' Uniflite. As I recall they are heavier, harder on fuel, softer riding and wider at the chines w better stability. But every Tolly is better looking than any Uniflite and as to build quality I've never heard anything bad about either. Your boat though is probably the best looking Puget Sound production boat ever built.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #51
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Art,
Your Tolly is an absolutely drop dead beautiful Boat from the inside or the outside. Especially the outside. I got in trouble in the office at Uniflite for implying and actually saying other boats may be as good (better) looking as the Uniflite. Everyone there carried on like the Uniflite was the best boat in the whole wide world. They were smart and I was'nt the ideal employee ...too honest. How could I have been so dumb? I do still think the Uniflite is a great boat but it's styling was a bit like a Checker cab. Not really ugly but sort of commercial looking. If I could afford to pay for the fuel I'd love to have a 30' Uniflite. As I recall they are heavier, harder on fuel, softer riding and wider at the chines w better stability. But every Tolly is better looking than any Uniflite and as to build quality I've never heard anything bad about either. Your boat though is probably the best looking Puget Sound production boat ever built.
Damn, Eric - Stop It...Ya Gots Me Blushen!!

Your boat is the prettiest by far compared to slab sided production brands...

But, I do love Tolly's!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #52

Ethanol gas will be a problem. If you buy non-ethanol gas that really is a premium price. Off road diesel cheaper and safer. If you are willing to put up with the problems ethanol gas brings and keep a perfect fuel system, blowers, filters, hoses like new to avoid any leaks than gas is an option, but I've been there and done that and never again.

Presently running two old 3208na Cats. Get good support and the local mechanics know the engine. Had to cut out one fuel tank out since it was leaking, thank goodness it wasn't a gas tank.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #53
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Has anyone looked at converting a trawler type boat to run on an electric motor with a generator to supply power to the electric motor or to a set of batteries?

I just saw a video on a steam engine that will burn just about anything.
Small one was set up on a boat Just a little runabout but still. a bigger one could run a generator.

Just wondering about the cost of such a conversion.

SD
Old 04-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

City: -
Yes. There is a GB running around like that and I have read of other boats that have been converted this way, too. VERY expensive and the consensus was that other than as an interesting technical excercise there is no realized value in the investment. The cost of the conversion will never come anywhere close to being paid for by the fue savings, assuming the same use of the boat after the conversion as before the conversion.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #55
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Yeah. I sort of thought that would be the case.

Sd