Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #1

City: Slidell la
Vessel Name: Bonnie C’S
Vessel Model: DeFever 40ft Passage-maker Downeast
New engine install

Okay bought boat with port engine missing previous owner got Alzheimer’s don’t even remember he had a boat so needles to say don’t know how it was removed bought used one and ready to replace but want to do it off my dock in my back yard has anyone ever replaced engine that can explain how to get it in tryingClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0836.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	71961Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	71962 to figure out best way to get it back in while still at the dock
Harlyguynola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Good luck in your refit, some work to be done but hope you will find your way!

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Good luck in your refit, some work to be done but hope you will find your way!

L

Thanks the actual question is what’s the best way to get engine onto boat through side doors windows companionway hatch anyone have a video or pictures or just an explanation on basics I have 15ft Ibeam my mechanic is very knowledgeable but it would help to hear from someone who has done it before or had it done
Old 01-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Yarradeen
Vessel Model: Harriscraft 48
There is no standard way to remove engines. Every boat has different designs and modifications. Maybe a big polystyrene block shaped like the engine may provide a gauge for the best route out.

Check youtube for some examples.

yarradeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #5

Thanks I am installing it was removed before I bought the boat it is a 40ft DeFever DownEast picture is above of boat and engine any and all help is appreciated thanks
Old 01-09-2018, 11:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Not sure about the Down East, other DeFevers I have looked at had large hatches in the salon floor and decent size side doors. Easy enough to remove the engine in to the salon. Then decide which door it goes out. Remove all accessories from block before lifting to salon level to minimize the engine profile makes it easier. Use an engine hoist to lift the engine to above salon floor level, replace the hatch and roll it on a temp plywood floor and get it out the door onto the side deck. If you don’t have an engine hoist, Harbor Freight has them pretty inexpensively. Getting it on to the dock might be a trick but looks like a block and tackle job, with a few hefty boys helping along.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
A 6 cyl perkins needs a very robust and stabile base to rig off. When you shift the weight to the side, will cause more leaning, unstable. I cant see putting a crane on that dock. That leaves changing locations, timber slides, or a cherry picker. If it were me, haul and block the boat on shore or find a real seawall.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:22 AM   #8

[QUOTE=McGillicuddy;625044]Not sure about the Down East, other DeFevers I have looked at had large hatches in the salon floor and decent size side doors. Easy enough to remove the engine in to the salon. Then decide which door it goes out. Remove all accessories from block before lifting to salon level to minimize the engine profile makes it easier. Use an engine hoist to lift the engine to above salon floor level, replace the hatch and roll it on a temp plywood floor and get it out the door onto the side deck. If you don’t have an engine hoist, Harbor Freight has them pretty inexpensively. Getting it on to the dock might be a trick but looks like a block and tackle job, with a few hefty
Old 01-10-2018, 12:27 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Harlyguynola;625050]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Not sure about the Down East, other DeFevers I have looked at had large hatches in the salon floor and decent size side doors. Easy enough to remove the engine in to the salon. Then decide which door it goes out. Remove all accessories from block before lifting to salon level to minimize the engine profile makes it easier. Use an engine hoist to lift the engine to above salon floor level, replace the hatch and roll it on a temp plywood floor and get it out the door onto the side deck. If you don’t have an engine hoist, Harbor Freight has them pretty inexpensively. Getting it on to the dock might be a trick but looks like a block and tackle job, with a few hefty

Thanks that’s what I wanted to know if it would make it through the door don’t have to take out I bought it with only 1 engine in all I need to do is get one in thanks I was looking on YouTube can’t find video so maybe I will video this
Old 01-10-2018, 12:38 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
No pictures, sorry.
I used a truck mounted HIAB crane. My side door is 27" wide and lines up with the gate in the rail. My floors lift up to expose the engines, so a direct drop.
First you need to take off the removeables to make the engine less than 27" wide. Without Heat exchangers, aftercoolers, exhaust elbows, I got mine down to 26 3/4". I used cardboard to protect the varnish.

The Hiab did the whole lift from the skid on the pavement to the drop onto the stringers. Just need an operator who knows his equipment.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:39 AM   #11
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
New engine install

Good to know. If the main problem is to fit it through the door then it easy enough to measure. Critical dimension will be width only I would think.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:14 AM   #12
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I slipped the boat and used a forklift and block & tackle to replace my engine. If you plan ahead well, it should only take an hour or so to drop the engine in place.

I built a replica model out of wood to give me the basic dimensions, so I knew how it would fit. Not so critical for you since you are replacing your engine with the same model, but it would still make things easier if you did a lightweight practice run.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:28 AM   #13
GMB
Veteran Member

City: East Central Florida
Vessel Name: Joy Shared
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 Motor Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
...The Hiab did the whole lift from the skid on the pavement to the drop onto the stringers. Just need an operator who knows his equipment.
Do you know what model HIAB? Did it have the CTC feature?
GMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:18 AM   #14
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
On our 44, one side door is slightly wider to accommodate an engine block; either engine can be removed through it. Don’t know if your Defever was built at CTF (now POCTA), but Wilson Lin is very knowledgeable. Also, if you join Defever Cruisers you may find someone on the list who’s done this.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I hired a boom truck. They physically put the engine into the cockpit. From there I built a double A-frame lifting dolly on casters and lifted the engine with a chain hoist. Then I rolled it into the salon over the engine hatch and lowered it onto the beds. I put temporary lips on the salon hatch edges to keep the dolly wheels from going over the edge. I built the dolly from lumber. It cost me about $50. I assembled it in place and disassembled it to get it off the boat.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #16
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
For tricky installs, best to take the boat to a yard and put it in travelift slings. Then get a boom truck or drystack forklift to stick the engine though a door. Boat can be lifted and tilted as needed by the travelift to improve geometry.

If a simple job, take boat to a drystack marina and they can fork the engine in while boat floats.

Takes careful measuring and planning to make the process smooth. No fun paying crane companies by the hour while you work through measurement mistakes.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
First pic is pulling the 450 HP C series Cummins with a telephone pole setting truck and the boat in the travel lift. Had to back the travel lift up to insert the boom far enough into the boat. Space between the engine and the doors (cabin and transom) was measured in coats of paint. If the boat had been in the water, it would have been almost impossible not to scratch the paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine pull 2 (2).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	71967

Installing the new engine which is much smaller. I'm the grumpy old man in the pics.

Name:	DSCN0972.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	71968

Name:	DSCN0973.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	71969

Name:	DSCN0974.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	71970

Name:	DSCN0975.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	71971

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: petersburg, ny
Vessel Name: Lil' Toot
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin
I know I'm going to get some laughs and speculation that I may be a little rustic (or perhaps even goofy) in methods. But I installed a 327 V/8 in my 1949 48 Christ Craft Commander the ole fashion way. Myself and two strong men, slide the engine down the dock on a dolly, slide the engine, well covered, up and down a 12" (covered) plank through the side door, down onto a sheet of plywood in the cabin. (Very carefully and slowly I might add so as not to bang, dent or crush anything) From there, hoisted it up with the "portable cherry picker" and dropped it into place on the engine mounts. Naturally, mounts must be perfectly set so that the engine sits at a perfect angle fore and aft and port and star; as well as perfectly lined up with the propeller shaft. I'm guessing the perkins weighs less than the engine I installed. Now, I must add, I did this when I was thirty years old with two strong young bucks helping. I'm 71 now, and might look for another method now days. I suspect damaging things will be a concern, no matter how you set the engine in. I sure hope you ran up the engine already and checked it out. Like I said in the beginning, a crude method, but it does work where you don't have access or room to use more crafty methods.
poczatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: petersburg, ny
Vessel Name: Lil' Toot
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin
Let me add, I do like the method O C Diver has posted; but if your doing it at the dock, well, -
poczatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
Do you know what model HIAB? Did it have the CTC feature?
A forklift works well too. Check your engine mfg for the weight and use a F or Hiab with adequate capacity.
No, I never inquired what model. Got a guy who had done this before.
What is "CTC Feature?"