New China Cummings 6BTA 5.9M

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lepke

Guru
Vessel Name
Charlie Harper
Vessel Make
Wheeler Shipyard 83'

Attachments

• 6BTA Cummings.JPG
    6BTA Cummings.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 408
Did you try the shipping quote? How can we be certain it is the real thing?
Probably is, my Onan/Cummins solenoid was in a box shouting Cummins, on inspection of the part was made in China.

No I didn't do shipping because I don't want one. I'm a Detroit guy. This is the result of US companies manufacturing in China. For years now many diesel parts come from China. Most big US engines have the block and crank made here and assembled here, but many inside parts were from China.

I have bought China Detroit injectors and they come in (what looks to be) the same box, with the same numbers as from Detroit Diesel. In about 60 years (natural engines) I never lost a Detroit injector. But burn a tip sometimes in high hp turbo engines. I buy new ones or have the old one rebuilt when I rebuild an engine.
I rebuilt some Cummins engines about 10 years ago and the engine kits came from China but were ordered from a US Cummins dealer. Go figure.

Can`t imagine USA (or other country) Cummins Dealers quietly watching the import of genuine (Chinese) Cummins engines way undercutting their prices. Tariffs on Chinese imports would go some way to evening it up,but all the way, maybe not. Which is why I wondered about the shipping cost, to get a fair comparison.
Well spotted though, it might help someone with a well priced replacement.

Doubt you're buying a Cummins engine. It looks to be a copy, but who knows if it's of any quality. Made that mistake buying what I thought was a Leece Neville alternator on line. Turned out to be an exact copy where the parts were even interchangeable with a real one. Only problem was the tolerances weren't exact enough and the armature was just grazing the winding. JUNK! I've had friends buy Chinese online parts for their Cummins, only to find they have a very short life. Guess the Chinese have found a place to sell their seconds.

Ted

Very few "Made in America" engines or anything else is actually ALL made in the USA.

This is common world wide for almost every brand of engine.

The usual is parts are shipped to machine shops with tolerance fit gauges , and parts are (hopefully) checked again on engine assembly.

If China has been a source for Cummins replacement parts and are making engines to distribute world wide as Cummins , there should be no problem.

It would be interesting to talk to the parts guy for any engine to find out where most branded replacement parts are made.

It would also be interesting to know if the engines are hand assembled or robot built.

The robots can inventory many parts dimensions , so those selected for every build are closer to "perfect" fits than the hand jobs.

Many items from China can be ordered with shipping included, so its no problem

Last edited:
If that engine isn't EPA compliant, it won't be allowed for import into the US. I tried to import an engine for a motorcycle from China. It was not allowed in because it didn't meet the emissions standards for 2015. I'm sure they are more strict on I/C engines.

Be very wary if you buy the brand of domestic water pump called Seaflo which is a play on words against Shurflo.
I was fool enough to buy 2, both looked the real deal, 1 lasted a day, the second 3 days. Despite eBay and PayPal trying they refused to refund or replace.

Lesson learned. Don't be a cheapskate !

I would have been cheaper buying a Whale pump in the first place and having a guaranteed product.
Forget the political angle but Trump is an American businessman for American business people and that passes down the line in quality products and jobs.

Can you get via Amazon Prime? :D

Be very wary if you buy the brand of domestic water pump called Seaflo which is a play on words against Shurflo.
I was fool enough to buy 2, both looked the real deal, 1 lasted a day, the second 3 days. Despite eBay and PayPal trying they refused to refund or replace.

Lesson learned. Don't be a cheapskate !

I would have been cheaper buying a Whale pump in the first place and having a guaranteed product.
Forget the political angle but Trump is an American businessman for American business people and that passes down the line in quality products and jobs.

Me, too. I've got 2 Seaflow fresh water pumps that lost half their pressure after 5 days. I think the diaphragms are made out of the wrong material.

Got to be some sort of scam. That engine looks like a QSB 5.9 or 6.7 which is rated anywhere from 230 to 550hp. Stateside retail is in the $40k ballpark, varies with rating.

No way is Cummins going to allow something with their trademark to be sold for $3-5k.

So Seaflo is a cheap Chinese knock-off of Shurflow.

And Harbor Freight tools are cheap Chinese knock-offs of Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc.

So they're junk. But that doesn't necessarily carry through to the Cummins engines, built at licensed and quality-controlled factories, but built primarily for their local markets. 6B and 6C and 855 aren't exactly Tier-4 after all.

I've corresponded with DCEC and CCEC and have received prices of about $14,000 for a 6CTA8.3 and about $18,000 for a NT855-M. Without gear of course.

The Weichai equivalent diesels are about half those prices, if anyone is daring enough to install one.

No I didn't do shipping because I don't want one. I'm a Detroit guy. This is the result of US companies manufacturing in China. For years now many diesel parts come from China. Most big US engines have the block and crank made here and assembled here, but many inside parts were from China.

Many of Cummins engines are made in Brazil (or at least the block casting and heavy machining is done in Brazil) and some are assembled in Rocky Mount, NC.

If goods are manufactured in a Cummins, Perkins or any other factory in China , provided they have Western quality control then you have a good deal.
So many are knock offs and copies its simply not worth taking the risk as you'll have no comeback.
Better to buy a locally rebuilt motor, it'll see your days out.

I think we are getting ripped off by engine sellers.

With many diesel cars being built with complex 6-8 speed trannys,, why should just the engine and simple F N R tranny be almost Half the cost of a complete car?

Hard to know for sure what is going on here. Last time I traveled thru Shanghai (where they claim the cummins is crated/made) airport, you had to walk down this gauntlet of humanity, many of which were waving iPhones in your face to buy. At really low prices.
Many legit companies sell to LatAm and Asia at significantly lower pricing models than NAM. So, it's possible this is legit. But, who wants to try this experiment to its conclusion? :ermm:

You can be more certain that any warranty will not exist in US.

Some details very wrong with the ad. Claims to be 6BTA5.9. Also claims 52kW at 1500rpm. That is 70hp. Cummins never made a turbo/aftercooled engine with such a low rating. They did make a 6B natural (no turbo, no aftercooler) with 1500rpm rating for 50Hz gensets. But that is not a 6BTA. Just a 6B.

And photo shows a full dress marine QSB. Other photos show a QSK of some sort.

Scam.

Seaflo is actually a legit brand but I suspect even they are getting copied.
FUJIAN AIDI ELECTRIC CO.,LTD

I got one as a spare as it was identical to my vetus/maxwell pump.
When it died after a year I put the seaflo in and dead in 2 days.
I did get a partial refund from eBay.

Bought another vetus/maxwell as a spare.
At least they come with 3 year warranty and they did replace the dead unit no questions asked

Maybe don`t dismiss it, the engine is offered on Alibaba which I believe,rightly or wrongly, is reputable.
If there is not yet a tarrif on the engine purchase/importation, buyers could comply with the spirit of tariffs and make a donation to the Revenue.

Back
Top Bottom