Old 10-04-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
New China Cummings 6BTA 5.9M

For those of you with Cummins, you can buy a new engine cheaper than rebuilding if you're not a mechanic.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...714bD5GcD5GcFW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6BTA Cummings.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	81552  

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
Guru

Did you try the shipping quote? How can we be certain it is the real thing?
Probably is, my Onan/Cummins solenoid was in a box shouting Cummins, on inspection of the part was made in China.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:32 AM   #3
Guru

No I didn't do shipping because I don't want one. I'm a Detroit guy. This is the result of US companies manufacturing in China. For years now many diesel parts come from China. Most big US engines have the block and crank made here and assembled here, but many inside parts were from China.

I have bought China Detroit injectors and they come in (what looks to be) the same box, with the same numbers as from Detroit Diesel. In about 60 years (natural engines) I never lost a Detroit injector. But burn a tip sometimes in high hp turbo engines. I buy new ones or have the old one rebuilt when I rebuild an engine.
I rebuilt some Cummins engines about 10 years ago and the engine kits came from China but were ordered from a US Cummins dealer. Go figure.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:02 AM   #4
Guru

Can`t imagine USA (or other country) Cummins Dealers quietly watching the import of genuine (Chinese) Cummins engines way undercutting their prices. Tariffs on Chinese imports would go some way to evening it up,but all the way, maybe not. Which is why I wondered about the shipping cost, to get a fair comparison.
Well spotted though, it might help someone with a well priced replacement.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:12 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Doubt you're buying a Cummins engine. It looks to be a copy, but who knows if it's of any quality. Made that mistake buying what I thought was a Leece Neville alternator on line. Turned out to be an exact copy where the parts were even interchangeable with a real one. Only problem was the tolerances weren't exact enough and the armature was just grazing the winding. JUNK! I've had friends buy Chinese online parts for their Cummins, only to find they have a very short life. Guess the Chinese have found a place to sell their seconds.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:22 AM   #6
FF
Guru

Very few "Made in America" engines or anything else is actually ALL made in the USA.

This is common world wide for almost every brand of engine.

The usual is parts are shipped to machine shops with tolerance fit gauges , and parts are (hopefully) checked again on engine assembly.

If China has been a source for Cummins replacement parts and are making engines to distribute world wide as Cummins , there should be no problem.

It would be interesting to talk to the parts guy for any engine to find out where most branded replacement parts are made.

It would also be interesting to know if the engines are hand assembled or robot built.

The robots can inventory many parts dimensions , so those selected for every build are closer to "perfect" fits than the hand jobs.

Many items from China can be ordered with shipping included, so its no problem
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:47 AM   #7
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
If that engine isn't EPA compliant, it won't be allowed for import into the US. I tried to import an engine for a motorcycle from China. It was not allowed in because it didn't meet the emissions standards for 2015. I'm sure they are more strict on I/C engines.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Be very wary if you buy the brand of domestic water pump called Seaflo which is a play on words against Shurflo.
I was fool enough to buy 2, both looked the real deal, 1 lasted a day, the second 3 days. Despite eBay and PayPal trying they refused to refund or replace.

Lesson learned. Don't be a cheapskate !

I would have been cheaper buying a Whale pump in the first place and having a guaranteed product.
Forget the political angle but Trump is an American businessman for American business people and that passes down the line in quality products and jobs.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #9
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Can you get via Amazon Prime?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Be very wary if you buy the brand of domestic water pump called Seaflo which is a play on words against Shurflo.
I was fool enough to buy 2, both looked the real deal, 1 lasted a day, the second 3 days. Despite eBay and PayPal trying they refused to refund or replace.

Lesson learned. Don't be a cheapskate !

I would have been cheaper buying a Whale pump in the first place and having a guaranteed product.
Forget the political angle but Trump is an American businessman for American business people and that passes down the line in quality products and jobs.

Me, too. I've got 2 Seaflow fresh water pumps that lost half their pressure after 5 days. I think the diaphragms are made out of the wrong material.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

Hehe, that is funny.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #12
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Got to be some sort of scam. That engine looks like a QSB 5.9 or 6.7 which is rated anywhere from 230 to 550hp. Stateside retail is in the $40k ballpark, varies with rating.

No way is Cummins going to allow something with their trademark to be sold for $3-5k.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #13

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
https://www.4btengines.com/manufacturing-locations/ 6BTA is made in China and elsewhere to Cummins Standards. A friend worked for American LaFrance at their China factory for several years in Quality Control.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #14
Guru

City: Doha
So Seaflo is a cheap Chinese knock-off of Shurflow.

And Harbor Freight tools are cheap Chinese knock-offs of Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc.

So they're junk. But that doesn't necessarily carry through to the Cummins engines, built at licensed and quality-controlled factories, but built primarily for their local markets. 6B and 6C and 855 aren't exactly Tier-4 after all.

I've corresponded with DCEC and CCEC and have received prices of about $14,000 for a 6CTA8.3 and about $18,000 for a NT855-M. Without gear of course.

The Weichai equivalent diesels are about half those prices, if anyone is daring enough to install one.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #15
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
No I didn't do shipping because I don't want one. I'm a Detroit guy. This is the result of US companies manufacturing in China. For years now many diesel parts come from China. Most big US engines have the block and crank made here and assembled here, but many inside parts were from China.
Many of Cummins engines are made in Brazil (or at least the block casting and heavy machining is done in Brazil) and some are assembled in Rocky Mount, NC.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #16
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
If goods are manufactured in a Cummins, Perkins or any other factory in China , provided they have Western quality control then you have a good deal.
So many are knock offs and copies its simply not worth taking the risk as you'll have no comeback.
Better to buy a locally rebuilt motor, it'll see your days out.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #17
FF
Guru

I think we are getting ripped off by engine sellers.

With many diesel cars being built with complex 6-8 speed trannys,, why should just the engine and simple F N R tranny be almost Half the cost of a complete car?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #18
Guru

City: Fairport
Hard to know for sure what is going on here. Last time I traveled thru Shanghai (where they claim the cummins is crated/made) airport, you had to walk down this gauntlet of humanity, many of which were waving iPhones in your face to buy. At really low prices.
Many legit companies sell to LatAm and Asia at significantly lower pricing models than NAM. So, it's possible this is legit. But, who wants to try this experiment to its conclusion?

You can be more certain that any warranty will not exist in US.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #19
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Some details very wrong with the ad. Claims to be 6BTA5.9. Also claims 52kW at 1500rpm. That is 70hp. Cummins never made a turbo/aftercooled engine with such a low rating. They did make a 6B natural (no turbo, no aftercooler) with 1500rpm rating for 50Hz gensets. But that is not a 6BTA. Just a 6B.

And photo shows a full dress marine QSB. Other photos show a QSK of some sort.

Scam.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #20
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Seaflo is actually a legit brand but I suspect even they are getting copied.
FUJIAN AIDI ELECTRIC CO.,LTD

I got one as a spare as it was identical to my vetus/maxwell pump.
When it died after a year I put the seaflo in and dead in 2 days.
I did get a partial refund from eBay.

Bought another vetus/maxwell as a spare.
At least they come with 3 year warranty and they did replace the dead unit no questions asked

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote