New Age tranny lubrication

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron,

The reason they are called reverse gears is that early gear boxes were mostly direct drive and the basic reason for them was the reverse gear. Later those that were were called reduction gears. I'm guessing at the time frame but prop ably in the 30s to the early 50s the boat gear boxes were called reverse gears. They were usually shifted directly by a lever connected to the gear box.

The expression "tranny" is hot rod slang and has no maritime implications. I consider those who use the word tranny as only loosely connected (if at all) to marine mechanics.

Gee whiz Eric, I respectfully submit the following: Your phrase "maritime implications" poses the implication that TF is filled with just life-long mariners whose life is dependent upon the sea and nothing more. When actually most are simply pleasure boaters who indulge on other life activities too. Calling boat’s "transmission" a reverse gear, trany, trans, trannie, gearbox or any other nomenclature is really not the point of this thread... the different names used by different boaters all refer to the similar mechanical device. Figuring what fluid is actually the correct ones to place inside any of our various brand and model "gear boxes" is.

And here I've been trying so hard to fit in saying port and starboard instead of left and right, or is it right and left. I guess you can't turn an old gearhead into a proper boater.

Bob

Don't worry about the port and starboard bit. REAL boats (ships) use left and right. It's only the toy boat crowd that sticks to the yachty talk.

We use left and right on our boat for giving directions, heading changes, pointing out stuff in the water, etc.. The only time we use "port" and "starboard" is when we are referring to a physical location on the boat, because it's clear what side of the boat it's on no matter whether you're facing forward, aft, or sideways.

FF is NOT the poster that said "engine lube oil in a gear box is not good"

"FF is NOT the poster that said "engine lube oil in a gear box is not good""

I said that.

OK guys I've been out of line to be sure.

1. There are additives in "hypoid" and ATF oils to combat the extreme gear on gear pressures generated w gears and lots of torque. And I think some gear oils have sulfur in the oil as an additive especially for the gear applications. I knew some recommended engine oil as a temporary substitute but I didn't know they were recommending it's regular use. My ignorance and my bad. I'm sorry. Now that I think of it I think in my last boat powered w a Yanmar it's engine oil was recommended for the gear box.

2. Actually "tranny" is slang in the car world ... it's just plain slang. But I didn't mean to offend at all. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
My Borg Warner tranny manual says that the preferred fluid is ATF, but straight 30W oil is fine too. That's what the PO used for, oh, 4000 hrs and it seemed to work fine. When I was doing a major refit, I had the tranny rebuilt as PM and have used ATF ever since.

I was the original poster and I think the thread has gotten off track. Maybe my original post was not clear enough. I know what the manufacturer recommends, multi viscosity engine oil. Somwhere in the PO's documents was a comment about using Rotella Synthetic in the transmissions and I was wondering if there is an easy way to determine if the oil in the transmissions is synthetic or not.

Sure takes me a lot longer to hunt and peck "transmission".

Bob

Ask any tranny guy. There is no better place to use synthetic then a tranny. Synthetics strongest suit is it's ability to handle heat. Heat is often the primary reason for tranny failure. If your tranny calls for single weight you can order it in synthetic. Amzoil for one carries it albeit at a price!!

I was the original poster and I think the thread has gotten off track. Maybe my original post was not clear enough. I know what the manufacturer recommends, multi viscosity engine oil. Somwhere in the PO's documents was a comment about using Rotella Synthetic in the transmissions and I was wondering if there is an easy way to determine if the oil in the transmissions is synthetic or not.

Bob

Drain it all out and put in what you want. It doesn't matter what was there before.

Bob
I don't know of an easy way to tell whether it is synthetic or not, but if the mgr says multi grade, I'd just drain what's there and replace it with T6. Just curious, but do you have a transmission oil cooler?

In older transmissions weight , and the cost of parts and maching time was less important.

Our ancient Twin Disc has huge wide gears ,do not have the loading of modern gears that are perhaps 1/2 or 1/3 the width.

No oil cooler , no oil pump , splash lubrication is fine for old tech .
\
DA BOOK is the place to look for YOUR info.

Yes, there is a transmission cooler. Just got the word from PRM New Age, "Synthetic or part synthetic oil is not approved. Use a diesel engine mineral oil only."

Bob

What the heck is "PRM New Age"?

Sounds like Marin's "next generation" talk.

I think they won't recommend synthetic because it's not well defined. Too many base stock types out there to test for approval. They may use synthetic themselves but as I've said before synthetic is only needed under very extreme conditions like very high heat. Racing motorcycles need synthetic lube. Trawlers certainly don't. Nor do street cars.

Yes, there is a transmission cooler. Just got the word from PRM New Age, "Synthetic or part synthetic oil is not approved. Use a diesel engine mineral oil only."

Bob
Interesting. I wonder why no synthetic if they approve multigrade? Too slippery?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom