Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
My Hurth reverse gears use ATF, per the book. The biggest transmissions I have been around were in Cat mine haul trucks - 30 wt motor oil for the transmissons in that case. As Delfin says, check your book since marine gear designs are not all the same.
My present boat also uses ATF in its Hurth transmission. Over the years, though, I had 3 other boats that used SAE 30wt in their Twin Disc transmissions. When I see a blanket statement such as: "Engine lube oil in a gear box is not good", I really get upset! There are other statements made on this Forum, if taken seriously, will get the owner in deep s--t. I think it's fine to state one's "opinion" but to make a comment that comes across as a statement of fact is reckless at best.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Engine lube oil in a gear box is not good."
My manual calls for the same oil in the transmission as in the engine. How can you make a blanket statement that "Engine lube oil in a gear box is not good"?

Who knows more about it, you or the manufacturer?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
The manufacturer specifies engine oil. The question was, there is a reference from the PO that he used synthetic oil in the transmission. If he did, I would continue using synthetic, otherwise I would use the same oil that I use for the engine, Rotella 15W-40. Is there a simple way to determine if the transmissions contain synthetic or real oil?

Since it is virtually impossible to drain all the oil, I don't want to end up mixing synthetic and real oil.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #24
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
My present boat also uses ATF in its Hurth transmission. Over the years, though, I had 3 other boats that used SAE 30wt in their Twin Disc transmissions. When I see a blanket statement such as: "Engine lube oil in a gear box is not good", I really get upset! There are other statements made on this Forum, if taken seriously, will get the owner in deep s--t. I think it's fine to state one's "opinion" but to make a comment that comes across as a statement of fact is reckless at best.
So true. Some Paragons use motor oil. There are some transmissions set up to use the engine oil as their lube. If I remember correctly an Atomic four uses the same oil for both Transmission and engine. In fact the same pan on the Atomic four. http://pearsonvanguard.homestead.com/files/atomic4d.jpg
Other Paragons and Walters use 30 wt as well. After the 200 series the transmissions used ATF.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
From the PRM Newage Web site:

PRM Marine Ltd

Q: What Oil does my gearbox take?

A: A mechanical unit must use ATF Dextron II or III and a Hydraulic unit must use 15W40
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Since it is virtually impossible to drain all the oil, I don't want to end up mixing synthetic and real oil. Bob
The "by the book" way to do the change over is add a quart (gallon for big gear boxes) of new stuff and pump it out too. Repeat once or twice and you're good to go. This works for engines, gear boxes, pump and fan drives etc.

I do this on my engines where about 1/2 gallon of dirty oil cannot be pumped out due to engine's backward tilt. The oil stays a lot cleaner when I flush with 1/2 gallon of fresh oil, visually anyway - I feel better - not sure if engine does though.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
JD
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

PRM Marine Ltd

A: A mechanical unit must use ATF Dextron II or III and a Hydraulic unit must use 15W40
Maybe with their company but not with all. The defining factor with some is if the transmission has a pressure pump or not. Pressure pump ATF non pressure pump Engine oil. The old Paragons used the linkage to engage the clutch pack so they had no pressure pump but the newer ones in most transmissions use a pressure pump and the linkage is like on a car it just selects various valve positions to engage the proper clutch packs.

I went to their site and for what they call mechanical they want ATF and it says so in their transmission literature, under oil cooling but for their Hydraulic (with pressure pump) it says in their literature under cooling nothing about type. A bit confusing.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Ron,

The expression "tranny" is hot rod slang and has no maritime implications. I consider those who use the word tranny as only loosely connected (if at all) to marine mechanics.
So sorry to have offended. I guess I'll just have to crawl back under my rock and stick to car forums. And here I've been trying so hard to fit in saying port and starboard instead of left and right, or is it right and left. I guess you can't turn an old gearhead into a proper boater.

Bob
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

PRM Marine Ltd

Thanks for that site. I downloaded some specs for the gearbox on our boat and it definitely specifies engine oil. I guess the key is "mechanical". I'll have to investigate further, I had not found the PRM Marine site.

Bob
Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
JD
Guru

Quote:
Ron,
The expression "tranny" is hot rod slang and has no maritime implications. I consider those who use the word tranny as only loosely connected (if at all) to marine mechanics.
Your being a little harsh here aren't you? Hell most folks here are only loosely connected period.

Now don't tell me you have produced a video we should all see.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #31
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Ron,

The reason they are called reverse gears is that early gear boxes were mostly direct drive and the basic reason for them was the reverse gear. Later those that were were called reduction gears. I'm guessing at the time frame but prop ably in the 30s to the early 50s the boat gear boxes were called reverse gears. They were usually shifted directly by a lever connected to the gear box.

Gee whiz Eric, I respectfully submit the following: Your phrase "maritime implications" poses the implication that TF is filled with just life-long mariners whose life is dependent upon the sea and nothing more. When actually most are simply pleasure boaters who indulge on other life activities too. Calling boat’s "transmission" a reverse gear, trany, trans, trannie, gearbox or any other nomenclature is really not the point of this thread... the different names used by different boaters all refer to the similar mechanical device. Figuring what fluid is actually the correct ones to place inside any of our various brand and model "gear boxes" is.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
And here I've been trying so hard to fit in saying port and starboard instead of left and right, or is it right and left. I guess you can't turn an old gearhead into a proper boater.

Bob

Don't worry about the port and starboard bit. REAL boats (ships) use left and right. It's only the toy boat crowd that sticks to the yachty talk.

We use left and right on our boat for giving directions, heading changes, pointing out stuff in the water, etc.. The only time we use "port" and "starboard" is when we are referring to a physical location on the boat, because it's clear what side of the boat it's on no matter whether you're facing forward, aft, or sideways.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #33
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
As we say in the computer business, RTFM!
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #34

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
FF is NOT the poster that said "engine lube oil in a gear box is not good"
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
"FF is NOT the poster that said "engine lube oil in a gear box is not good""

I said that.

OK guys I've been out of line to be sure.

1. There are additives in "hypoid" and ATF oils to combat the extreme gear on gear pressures generated w gears and lots of torque. And I think some gear oils have sulfur in the oil as an additive especially for the gear applications. I knew some recommended engine oil as a temporary substitute but I didn't know they were recommending it's regular use. My ignorance and my bad. I'm sorry. Now that I think of it I think in my last boat powered w a Yanmar it's engine oil was recommended for the gear box.

2. Actually "tranny" is slang in the car world ... it's just plain slang. But I didn't mean to offend at all. I'm sorry.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #36
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
My Borg Warner tranny manual says that the preferred fluid is ATF, but straight 30W oil is fine too. That's what the PO used for, oh, 4000 hrs and it seemed to work fine. When I was doing a major refit, I had the tranny rebuilt as PM and have used ATF ever since.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #37
Guru

I was the original poster and I think the thread has gotten off track. Maybe my original post was not clear enough. I know what the manufacturer recommends, multi viscosity engine oil. Somwhere in the PO's documents was a comment about using Rotella Synthetic in the transmissions and I was wondering if there is an easy way to determine if the oil in the transmissions is synthetic or not.

Sure takes me a lot longer to hunt and peck "transmission".

Bob
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Ask any tranny guy. There is no better place to use synthetic then a tranny. Synthetics strongest suit is it's ability to handle heat. Heat is often the primary reason for tranny failure. If your tranny calls for single weight you can order it in synthetic. Amzoil for one carries it albeit at a price!!
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #39
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Quote:
I was the original poster and I think the thread has gotten off track. Maybe my original post was not clear enough. I know what the manufacturer recommends, multi viscosity engine oil. Somwhere in the PO's documents was a comment about using Rotella Synthetic in the transmissions and I was wondering if there is an easy way to determine if the oil in the transmissions is synthetic or not.

Bob
Drain it all out and put in what you want. It doesn't matter what was there before.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #40
Grand Vizier

Quote:

Bob
I don't know of an easy way to tell whether it is synthetic or not, but if the mgr says multi grade, I'd just drain what's there and replace it with T6. Just curious, but do you have a transmission oil cooler?