Need New Fuel Hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbevins

Guru
Vessel Name
Keeper IV
Vessel Make
44 Viking ACMY
After a long protracted adventure it was determined that I need to replace the Port fuel supply hose. Since the boat is a 1987 I'm going to replace P & S supply and returns.

This is what is currently in use.
2 x 19ft of FC234 – 8 Eaton Aeroquip USCG Single Wire Fuel Oil Hose
2 x 23ft of FC234 – 10 Eaton Aeroquip USCG Single Wire Fuel Oil Hose
This is 1/2" and 5/8" with brass crimped swivel fittings.

My question is this hose was spec'd in 1987, what should I look at for a replacement in 2016?

My question is this hose was spec'd in 1987, what should I look at for a replacement in 2016?

You will find the hose labeled as USCG approved.for fuel.

Any hyd shop in a salt water town should have just what you require.

Look at Jamestown or Fisheries or even Defender for a picture.

Aeroquip FC 234 should still be available. You should also be able to get reuseable fittings for that hose if you want to cut and fit your own or get the shop to swage the fittings on.

Either way just be sure to clean the hose id before installing.

Buy USCG grade A1 hose. There are lots of suppliers. Just make sure it is marked USCG A1. The A2 hose is for fuel vents.

My understanding is that (non compulsory) ABYC standards require swaged fittings on supply-side fuel hose. Push-lok (re-usable) fittings are OK on return fuel lines. So I'd go for A1 low-permeability hose and get swage'd connectors. FC234 Aeroquip is still in the catalogue if you want to stay with that...though you will pay more for blue hose!

Some A1-15 hose is not meant to be clamped. Probably because it either a) affects it's permeability rating by squishing and damaging the internal barrier or b) that it is too slippery to stay on a hose barb. Check the manufacturers data sheet.

PS: if you have a diesel boat, you don't need A1-15 hose. A1 ( fire resistant) hose will suffice.

The 15 rating is to meet EPA 15ppm permeation emissions for gasoline hoses.

Back
Top Bottom