Old 06-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #21

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Patriot
Vessel Model: '76 Marine Trader 40
Eric,
Thanks for the replies and advice. Am leaning toward replacement - going to call American Diesel next week and let the Forum know what I decide. BTW, did VP-31 in 1992 on my way to Dept. Head tour with VP-46 out of Moffett Field. Good times. SB

FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
FlyNavy,
Since you've got twins your'e almost stuck w those Lehmans unless you replace them both w different engines. If it were me and I liked the boat a lot I'd get a new Iveco for $16K or Cummins remanufactured. I can't believe what they want for rebuilt Lehmans.

If you did the necessary carpentry to reconfigure and the #2 Lehman is excellent perhaps that would be a cost effective option.

FlyNavy,
We did P-5Ms, P-2Vs and HU-16s (Albatross) in the early 60s.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: vancouver
Vessel Model: Glasply Motorsailer
What about swapping out the Lehman engines for a couple of Yanmar 55's for example? This would reduce the cost per engine....approximately 10,000 per motor plus labour and other bits and pieces. It would likely free up some engine room space and would retain all of the benefits of twins, but with new motors rather than one old and one rebuild. I replaced a 65 volvo md30a with the 4jh4ae 55hp Yanmar in my motorsailer (did the work myself) and was likely into it for 15,000 with me doing all of the labour. This included a total redo on the exhaust system with waterlift muffler and some custom mounts for the new motor. It also included a new larger/thicker propshaft, pss dripless seal and a custom coupling for same. If it was me i would go with less power/size and replace both. I would think this would still provide you with plenty of power?
jarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I agree w jarod but there are lots of engines out there way less expensive than the Yanmar. That Yanmar IS excellent though however expensive. I've heard nothing but good about the JH Yannies.

Two years ago there was a 36 GB on Yachtworld w 55hp Yanmars. I watched it to see if the engines made it hard to sell. Seemed to not be a problem as I think it sold almost right away.

The 54hp Isuzu would do just as well and save one 4 or $5000.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: vancouver
Vessel Model: Glasply Motorsailer
I agree with Eric the Yanmar is one of many options. My only caution would be to go with a manufacturer that has been in the marine biz for a while and even then there is no guarantee of reasonable parts costs or availability in future. I selected Yanmar purely on their history in the marine engine business and there proven record of parts availability. The Volvo the Yanmar replaced was a headache of epic proportions....not that it wasn't a good motor (it was), but a new heat exchanger was quoted at $5,000 if it was even available which it turned out it wasn't. The Volvo eventually gave up the ghost with water in the oil, but there was never a question of a rebuild with that motor. I knew as soon as its life ended I was going to replace with new. The headaches associated with parts availability and cost really turned me off, but i digress.
jarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #26
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
FlyNavy,
We did P-5Ms, P-2Vs and HU-16s (Albatross) in the early 60s.
My Dad flew in the same. Ever at Moffett, Iwakuni, Hawaii, Maine?

I did P-3's myself from 1981 through 1990.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #27
FF
Guru

To me the question of engine replacement would be whow easy it is to gat a bellhousing to keep the origional tranny , if that is planned. I would upgrade .

If not an International DD 360 or 466 and a rebuilt twin disc would be my first choice for low buck engine swop.

A low mileage engine $3-4,000 each the tranny about $1500 , the exhaust either dry or the std truck manifold with a jacket will do fine.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Flynavy, PM sent.
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Since we're talking about Lehman diesel, I thought I would share some info and pictures. We just put our engine back together getting ready to run it tomorrow. We stripped everything off and painted the block, starter, head, manifold, tranny, etc. rebuilt the tranny( longer job than thought, but will post a YouTube on that one. Stay tuned.) injectors cleaned and a few other items just short of pulling block and rebuilding. Even at that it was a lot of work. Probably 12 working days. Much of that was prepping for paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2505572876.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	20781   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2145923839.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	20782  
Randall B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Here is a shot of the new flywheel damper plate installed. The springs that broke seized the engine just as if, crank broke or other major problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3983221718.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	20784   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-971493931.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	20785  

Randall B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags