Old 03-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
My Westerbeke struggles

Well here we go, I have pigeon holed Westerbeke in the same file as March raw water pumps.... Neither seem, by my experience give one whit about customer service. I do have documentation of my mistreatment as a customer by both. I hope others have had better experiences, but as for me I hope I do not have to ever deal with them again meaning ACE, Westerbeke or March.
Warning issued

Below is a long e mail concerning the efforts to get my genset repaired, a 3 cylinder genset. I have achieved success but with no help from Westerbeke or any dealer. The closest thing to help was being honored with the opportunity to buy a $207.00 head gasket for the genset 3 cylinder diesel. This should be a part, with a reasonable profit margin selling for below $50.

I spoke with a friend in the marine parts business and he discussed the horror stories being caught between the customer and distributer, with the customer being down for months. So be warned, if you have Westerbeke anything you may very well be looking at the end of a barrel as they hold a gun to your head. Many marinization companies disclose the engine manufacturer and perhaps the generator manufacturer. Not Westerbeke, they need the end user as hostage for extortion.
=========================================

The first week of January I googled Westerbeke Dealers near 34946 and Ace popped up. I called Ace and talked to a man named XXXX about a service call insofar I had been unsuccessful in getting my generator to start.

XXXX said they were extremely busy and the earliest he could have a tech out would be in three weeks, but if he had other calls in Fort Pierce he might have a tech do a drive by while a tech was in Fort Pierce. OK, I agreed on the 3 week max and that was that. I was to get a call.

Fast forward 3 weeks. I knew my genset was not being worked on because my phone was not ringing. I called XXXX again gave me the busy dance and recommended another tech that was independent that sometimes does his overflow. I called Michael

Michael was here the next day and tried to fix but the trouble is mechanical and Michael said that he was really a boat electrician, not a mechanic and he felt it needed a compression check and a fuel injector pump pressure test. I was very impressed with Michael, his electrical competence and his customer manner.

I called XXXX back, and Michael also called XXXX and filled him in. That was last week and the commitment was to have an Ace tech out here this week. This week is over insofar as this is Friday, February 5. Still another broken commitment, still no closer to having my generator fixed, still not one call to update me on why, when, how.

There are always problems, but communication between a business and a customer is important. I am taking the time to write this, and I will post it elsewhere, because I do not like being ignored, diminished and a non issue.

Every conversation I had XXXX acted as it the drive from Vero to north Fort Pierce was akin to driving from Pensacola to Miami. It is about 12 to 15 miles most of the way 60 mph is the common speed.......at most 15 minutes. I do not get it.

I can only assume that Ace does not value their Westerbeke customers. My neighbor had turbo work done on his Cats by ACE and I met an employee named Chris. The boat owner and I were both very impressed by Chris. He called after I did, his work is done and has been a couple of weeks.

At this time I a not sure what I am going to do. I have trust (justifiably so) issues with Ace and I a not so sure what it would be like AFTER I give Ace my money if another problem arises considering how unreliable my experience has been thus far.
===========================================

This e mail went to the HQ of Westebeke and ACE. I got a call AFTER calling in to Westerbeke 3 weeks later. The call came from Grove Co. Out of Houston, the parts distributer.

Sidebar; My Generator ran for the first time last Friday, March 11, 2016. Valve job, $100. Head gasket and assorted small gaskets and seals $283. Including shipping.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I don't really see your beef here. Westerbeke can sell parts for whatever price they like. And they don't have to tell you how to sidestep that. Not that I can imagine its hard to figure out what brand the prime mover is.

As to the service company, they sound like a busy shop. That usually is a could sign. As far as the quality of their work may go. And they did tell you their were swamped. Could have communicated better perhaps, not boing their side of the story.

A 12-15 mile drive in 15 minutes or less in south Florida, really!? Maybe if both the starting point and ending point are just off I95 and the traffic was light.

"I am taking the time to write this, and I will post it elsewhere, because I do not like being ignored, diminished and a non issue."

I'm not surprised Westerbeke wasn't in a hurry to respond.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Maybe Ancora and the OTDE crew could offer assistance.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Interesting, I have a Westerbeke engine and have never had a problem getting service from Westerbeke. Normally I get parts within 24 hours when I order directly from Westerbeke (not a dealer or distributor). The last time I needed a mechanic I called their local dealer and a mechanic came to my boat by dinghy within 30 minutes, did the repair and left. I was billed for half an hour.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Maybe Ancora and the OTDE crew could offer assistance.
I don't think a roll of tinfoil is going to help him much.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Guru

Probably was a union shop. My way, of the highway kind of place.

A good independent diesel mechanic can't be too hard find. I believe your 3 cyl. is a Mitsubishi by the way.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #7
Guru

Did you guys notice the dates? Sure, busy shop, sure once they come out maybe they are the best but that is irrelevant if they do not come out, break 3 comittments without even a call to say go to hell and do not even try to respond.

I spent 3 weeks waiting for a legitimate appointment. ACE did not show, did not call. When I called after a three week wait I got another appointment within the following week, I was VERY nice acting as if the privilidge every time, kissing ass to pay $75-$100 an hour was a sacred privilidge.

Personally, when Hank (XXXX) said 3 weeks, I should have responded, "well ur 2busy for me, bye." Or he should have said, we are just to big and busy to F with your little CS problem, go elsewhere. Either way in early January I would not have spent 10 weeks getting my generator fixed.

AND YOU GUYS ARE BLAMING ME FOR BEING PISSED.? get a life
Old 03-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Craig View Post

A good independent diesel mechanic can't be too hard find. I believe your 3 cyl. is a Mitsubishi by the way.
I think it might be, l kept the old $207 head gasket just so I might match. I saw an undersized 1 1/2 inch muffler that OEM Wesrwebeke wants $850 for yesterday. The guy is going aftermarket.

I am NOT the only one that despises Westerbeke's business practices.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Mule. I understand your frustration (Trying to be PC here) since I've experienced it firsthand several times while attempting to get a service person to attend to issues with equipment on board. Even worse, a representative of a company came on board and basically told me to my face I could not afford to pay their rates ($110/hr). This was in reference to a job that would have cost in the neighborhood of $6K+. Sometimes ya just gotta scratch your head.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I don't really see your beef here. Westerbeke can sell parts for whatever price they like. And they don't have to tell you how to sidestep that. Not that I can imagine its hard to figure out what brand the prime mover is.

As to the service company, they sound like a busy shop. That usually is a could sign. As far as the quality of their work may go. And they did tell you their were swamped. Could have communicated better perhaps, not boing their side of the story.

A 12-15 mile drive in 15 minutes or less in south Florida, really!? Maybe if both the starting point and ending point are just off I95 and the traffic was light.

"I am taking the time to write this, and I will post it elsewhere, because I do not like being ignored, diminished and a non issue."

I'm not surprised Westerbeke wasn't in a hurry to respond.
This was a warning shot that they had a dealer problem. They did not care enough to even respond.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:

A good independent diesel mechanic can't be too hard find...
I had an equally unhelpful response from the nearest Onan service outfit. My local diesel mechanic, who likes working on 3 cyl engines, fixed the problem.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
This was a warning shot that they had a dealer problem. They did not care enough to even respond.
Really? If you say so.

"I am taking the time to write this, and I will post it elsewhere, because I do not like being ignored, diminished and a non issue. "

But that's not how this reads to me. If it was just to "warn" Westerbeke that they may have a problem with a dealer, why would you need to tell them you're going to post your email elsewhere and in public before you even gave them a chance to respond?
Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, that had to be it. The diesel mechanics union is huge here in Florida.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
$75-$100/hr for a diesel guy is dirt cheap compared to the $175-$200 in my neck of the woods. To get that price...it would be an independent or "after hours" employee with really off the calendar schedules.

The Westerbeke dealer in Cape May has been good for me so far on parts, so far repairs I have handled myself but would call them first even if more expensive as they seem organized, competent.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Yeah, that had to be it. The diesel mechanics union is huge here in Florida.
yeah, I challenge anyone to find just one Union shop in all of FL.

As for the traffic comment, by Cpt Bill11 from south Vero to the causeway going 3/4 mile to the bridge to North Hutchins, (take a left at Publix across from the Shell Station) the driving speed is 60mph based on 55 mile limit.

As for Cpt Bill11, exactly how long should a customer with 2 ignored comittments wait before getting Pissed? How many times should Tiny Tim say, "Could I have some more sir?" How many times before you blow, not ready to say "Sir, yes sir may I have some more sir?." How many and how long should you beg to pay $100 +- an hour to get attention before going for the throat? how long would you put up with it?

It took 10 weeks, 10 weeks because of ACE Marine's lies and then I got gouged by Weaterbeke and NEITHER ACCEPTED ANY ACCOUNTABILITY. Not an, "I am sorry, you fell through the cracks, go to hell nothing", in effect, just bend over and watch this. You want some more...just deal with us.... yeah right.

My objective here is to make people aware of what happened to me so if a Westerbeke product is in a boat they are looking at they know the facts. Still more, if there is a re power or re gen, know to avoid, there are ethical manufacturers out there, I feel judging from my experience there is an ethical lapse or at the least a devil may care about the end user by Westerbeke, else they would have shown some concern about their dealers behavior while carrying the Westerbeke name. They do not care.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
$75-$100/hr for a diesel guy is dirt cheap compared to the $175-$200 in my neck of the woods. To get that price...it would be an independent or "after hours" employee with really off the calendar schedules.

The Westerbeke dealer in Cape May has been good for me so far on parts, so far repairs I have handled myself but would call them first even if more expensive as they seem organized, competent.
I would have paid $200 an hour given the chance. I just wanted my fkin genset fixed and comittments MET. Notice this Jihad is NOT about money but about being lied to, disrespected and losing time because of either/or lies, incompetence, give a damn and failure to follow up. Money is NOT the issue.

Truly, this appears to be more about incompetence and price gouging. Price gouging aside, would you rather be known as a liar or incompetent in your life's work. I am neither but I think liar is better. You?

BTW, I did not mention the $500 each for new injectors did I. Who does Westerbeke think they are? A drug company?

BTW, Capt Bill11, do you work for Westerbeke, Ace or is it your brother in law? I really got screwed here so why are you in bed with these guys. I was VERY kiss ass, until I got enough, not abrasive at all but you seem to be sooooooooo understanding for their side,,, they family??
Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I`m not signed to OTDE, how come I`m seeing this?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:47 PM   #18
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I would have paid $200 an hour given the chance. I just wanted my fkin genset fixed and comittments MET. Notice this Jihad is NOT about money but about being lied to, disrespected and losing time because of either/or lies, incompetence, give a damn and failure to follow up. Money is NOT the issue.

BTW, Capt Bill11, do you work for Westerbeke, Ace or is it your brother in law? I really got screwed here so why are you in bed with these guys. I was VERY kiss ass, until I got enough, not abrasive at all but you seem to be sooooooooo understanding for their side,,, they family??
Yes, you found the real problem, Capt Bill.

Frankly, I am in awe of anyone who expects a "house call" in this day and age.

YOU also seem not to understand or care to understand the relationship between a manufacturer and an authorized dealer.

If money was no object, then why were you going to a non-responsive dealer in the first place.

And if you don't care about the money, why complain about the cost of parts or worse yet, what they "should" have cost? They cost what someone is willing to pay; in this case, YOU.

Lastly, maybe your boat is the only mechanical device you have ever owned, but to get anyone to come anyplace nowadays is pretty remarkable.

And yes, I am related to that ACE store, because I bought a doughnut once in Ft. Pierce and it was really good.

Well, maybe I bought it more than once

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:37 AM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
. YOU also seem not to understand or care to understand the relationship between a manufacturer and an authorized dealer.
Yes. My service from authorized Westerbeke dealers has been a exemplary. Why go to the factory guys? Kind of like calling up Stuttgart when your Mercedes needs parts and service vs going to the nearest dealer.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #20
Guru

The price is secondary. Not calling before a comittments is to be broken is the issue. Once shame on them, twice shame on me with no action. Then the manufacturer that licenses the dealer to carry their name does not follow up after notification is the problem.

A $200+ head gasket for a 3 cylinder engine was just the iceiing.

Looking back, I should have not wrote the email about ACE to Westerbeke. US1 goes north as well as south. I should have saddled up my horse and drove to ACE, walked into their Business and ask XXXX why he is treating me so poorly. Ask if he wanted me as a customer and if not why. Ask what I did to deserve to be treated so poorly.

Hard to ignore the White's of another mans eyes when you know you are wrong and you know you have screwed him. I missed a step before the e mail.

The understanding on here for the business and apparent lack of compassion for a customer leads me to believe something, just not sure what. I cannot help but wonder when if there is a time when patience runs out for you guys that are so defensive for the business were it you.