Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #41
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,790
Yeah, a phone call before breaking the 2nd promised comittment is a REAL inconvience isn't it?

Do you you support the guy that took a $13.00 pill and priced it $750 after buying the firm that was the only supplier? How much is too much for a head gasket if $200 is not unreasonable? $500? $1000? $5000? I need to get in some kind of business and find the right, very understanding tolerant customers.

I agree with you about extremely busy..I was naive. I should have did as I did then kept looking for a better deal. I was not perceptive enough to read between the lines that my little CS job was good enough for them. He, would have, I would have been, far better off had he just said so outright. I would have thanked him and moved on, but he wanted to keep his options open. In the process he made a very resentful non customer, all really because he was not organized enough to have someone make a call, or guts enough to say no.. Any business gets enough of them....wellll they go the way of the wind.

This was all needless, but I got educated.
__________________
Advertisement

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Brisyboy's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 189
Well Mule, time to build a bridge - get over it and get on.
__________________

__________________
George
Brisbane
IG 36 Europa
Brisyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:21 PM   #43
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,790
Done!
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #44
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,388
Personally, I don't put up with dawdling service either. Legitimate mistakes and unavoidable delays are understandable; being treated as if I don't matter has consequences.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #45
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,790
Surley bartenders either, huh.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #46
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
Well Mule, time to build a bridge - get over it and get on.
I think you mean "burn".
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #47
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,602
A couple months ago I needed 2 parts from WB. I tried the SW FL shop where I bought the same parts last year. After 2 weeks, the call came in "discontinued" and refunded my CC charge. I tried to order online. The site said ordered and even "shipped". Two more weeks later, no parts showup. Came back discontinued again. Visited a local shop who called the distributer. 2 days later, the distributer said the parts were "No Longer Available". Can't order them.
So i do a little more research and find the exact same parts are used on the gen sets rolling down the assembly line TODAY on CURRENT models.
I call the factory who immediately tries to divert me back to the FL distributer. NO, NO, NO!!! Wait! Ive gone that route several times. Please can I speak to someone in charge of parts there. I get forwarded to some manager voicemail at WB and beg for them to sell me these parts made of "unobtainium". Someone else calls me back and says, "We're sorry, can't sell them to you".
Somewhere along this quest, someone recommended calling Broward Armature in Ft Lauderdale. They had them in stock!!! My heros! I order two the day before I have to leave the country for two weeks. Two weeks later I just gotten through customs in the US and my phone rings. My local shop says the 2 parts just showed up there without being ordered and do I still want them. YES!!! Now I have 4.
Who runs a business like this?
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:39 PM   #48
Guru
 
TDunn's Avatar
 
City: Maine Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 672
Next time tell them you are the captain and you need the boat fixed because the owner is coming.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #49
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,012
In 35 years of self employment I have missed one commitment (I was rear ended by a cop car) and was an hour late for another (rear ended by a drunk). I frequently arrive an hour early and read the paper in the truck as I have an unnatural fear of being late.

The price ? it is what it is for whatever reason but a commitment should be written in stone, no written contract required.
__________________
If you can live with the consequences, go for it - wg
Y'am what I y'am an' thats' all that y'am - Popeye
As God is my witness, I thought turkey's could fly. Mr.C
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:06 AM   #50
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
Next time tell them you are the captain and you need the boat fixed because the owner is coming.
LOL, they hear that everyday.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:31 AM   #51
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,928
Archie...ever try Canyon Club?

They are a Westerberg dealer and have done well by me with parts....the one guy was there (maybe still) forever and knew the part switchover.

I also have seen a few websites where parts labeled discontinued had "replacement part" listed. Not all but a few. What parts were you looking for so the rest of us can be prepared? Thanks.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #52
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I think you mean "burn".

Done...good observation.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #53
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
A couple months ago I needed 2 parts from WB. I tried the SW FL shop where I bought the same parts last year. After 2 weeks, the call came in "discontinued" and refunded my CC charge. I tried to order online. The site said ordered and even "shipped". Two more weeks later, no parts showup. Came back discontinued again. Visited a local shop who called the distributer. 2 days later, the distributer said the parts were "No Longer Available". Can't order them.
So i do a little more research and find the exact same parts are used on the gen sets rolling down the assembly line TODAY on CURRENT models.
I call the factory who immediately tries to divert me back to the FL distributer. NO, NO, NO!!! Wait! Ive gone that route several times. Please can I speak to someone in charge of parts there. I get forwarded to some manager voicemail at WB and beg for them to sell me these parts made of "unobtainium". Someone else calls me back and says, "We're sorry, can't sell them to you".
Somewhere along this quest, someone recommended calling Broward Armature in Ft Lauderdale. They had them in stock!!! My heros! I order two the day before I have to leave the country for two weeks. Two weeks later I just gotten through customs in the US and my phone rings. My local shop says the 2 parts just showed up there without being ordered and do I still want them. YES!!! Now I have 4.
Who runs a business like this?

==========================================

Westerbeke and ACA Marine.

Thank you, I have been made the goat for disparaging these "ethical hard working business people". I am gratified to hear someone else has verbalized the same kind of crap a I put up with by the Westerbeke Mafia.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #54
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,956
Mule

My comments are going to echo others here so you might plug your ears.

As far as parts prices, well parts are part of how a business makes a profit. With a competitive market pulling down the initial sales price of equipment to a point where it is barely profitable, parts sales are an important high profit source of revenue for a company. If you do not like parts prices, then buy a different brand of generator, but I warn you that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

As far as Westerbeke corporation... your complaint will fall into the 5% of customers that every business gets that are frankly not worth their time. Yes, they would rather loose your $200 per year in revenue rather than listen to you. Sorry, but anybody that owns a business knows this.

Regarding the performance of the local repair dealership... The problem is you. You as a customer bring in zero revenue to their company. You have no real relationship with them, and are only calling them because you are in over your head with this one repair. Even if they did a great job you would probably micro analyze their invoice, take up allot of their time, and still never become a regular customer.

They have regular customers that they derive 90% of their bread and butter revenue from. Why would they, especially during their busy season break loose and come take care of your old tired generator.

If you are talking about a head gasket, you're looking at the strong potential that the generator is economically at end of life anyway. They know from experience that customers like you are not going to make them any money, and that they will have to "marry" you over this generator issue.

I know you do not want to hear this, but you are the kind of customer that service organizations do not want to do business with. So they choose not to.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 207
All valid points Kevin, but in my opinion it seems the problem is that the dealer promised to send someone out then never followed up. If they had said they were too busy or just didn't want to do that job maybe it would have had a different outcome. But they chose to keep this one potential customer hanging on hoping that they would work on his genny. I would have been equally upset. And I have had truck repair shops tell me that they could work on my motorhome but if a truck comes in they would stop mine and get the commercial customer back on the road. I understood that and thanked them and took my business elsewhere. I wasn't upset and they weren't either.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #56
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Mule

My comments are going to echo others here so you might plug your ears.

As far as parts prices, well parts are part of how a business makes a profit. With a competitive market pulling down the initial sales price of equipment to a point where it is barely profitable, parts sales are an important high profit source of revenue for a company. If you do not like parts prices, then buy a different brand of generator, but I warn you that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

As far as Westerbeke corporation... your complaint will fall into the 5% of customers that every business gets that are frankly not worth their time. Yes, they would rather loose your $200 per year in revenue rather than listen to you. Sorry, but anybody that owns a business knows this.

Regarding the performance of the local repair dealership... The problem is you. You as a customer bring in zero revenue to their company. You have no real relationship with them, and are only calling them because you are in over your head with this one repair. Even if they did a great job you would probably micro analyze their invoice, take up allot of their time, and still never become a regular customer.

They have regular customers that they derive 90% of their bread and butter revenue from. Why would they, especially during their busy season break loose and come take care of your old tired generator.

If you are talking about a head gasket, you're looking at the strong potential that the generator is economically at end of life anyway. They know from experience that customers like you are not going to make them any money, and that they will have to "marry" you over this generator issue.

I know you do not want to hear this, but you are the kind of customer that service organizations do not want to do business with. So they choose not to.
From another post:

Do you you support the guy that took a $13.00 pill and priced it $750 after buying the firm that was the only supplier? How much is too much for a head gasket if $200 is not unreasonable? $500? $1000? $5000? I need to get in some kind of business and find the right, very understanding tolerant customers.
===============================

I pulled my boat for a hull inspection. Found I needed a cutlass bearing and associated work. Had ACE measured up I would have called them first. That is 2 jobs they missed out on. There will be more they will miss. I live mostly in Fort Pierce, the wife and I have an extensive network. I will NEVER reccomended them.
All they had to do was call and not ignore, or be upfront from the beginning, rather than leaving me hanging.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #57
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,376
This thread reminds me, I am overdue on taking two dozen doughnuts into my favorite yard. And their lead mechanic is ready for a gratis bottle of Bushmills.

Took one of my cars in for an oil change today at the dealer. No charge at all with 100% full synthetic added and a free car wash to boot.

Life is good with so many nice people around. Easy to forget the 2% bad apples, but they do add a little humor to the he day. Much easier to try a
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #58
Veteran Member
 
City: Toledo
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Mule

My comments are going to echo others here so you might plug your ears.

As far as parts prices, well parts are part of how a business makes a profit. With a competitive market pulling down the initial sales price of equipment to a point where it is barely profitable, parts sales are an important high profit source of revenue for a company. If you do not like parts prices, then buy a different brand of generator, but I warn you that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

As far as Westerbeke corporation... your complaint will fall into the 5% of customers that every business gets that are frankly not worth their time. Yes, they would rather loose your $200 per year in revenue rather than listen to you. Sorry, but anybody that owns a business knows this.

Regarding the performance of the local repair dealership... The problem is you. You as a customer bring in zero revenue to their company. You have no real relationship with them, and are only calling them because you are in over your head with this one repair. Even if they did a great job you would probably micro analyze their invoice, take up allot of their time, and still never become a regular customer.

They have regular customers that they derive 90% of their bread and butter revenue from. Why would they, especially during their busy season break loose and come take care of your old tired generator.

If you are talking about a head gasket, you're looking at the strong potential that the generator is economically at end of life anyway. They know from experience that customers like you are not going to make them any money, and that they will have to "marry" you over this generator issue.

I know you do not want to hear this, but you are the kind of customer that service organizations do not want to do business with. So they choose not to.
I think your comment on parts prices is fair - god knows the automobile folks have perfected it. However, it seems to me what he was really upset about was that they blew him off and I think that is more than a fair point. If someone tells me they will be out to look at my genset/cable box/water meter/ car whatever I expect them to be out at least reasonably close to when they said they will be. I'm willing to give lots of leeway (jobs take longer than expected etc. it happens) but we are both busy people and I have to take time off work or whatever to be available etc. If they didn't want the job or couldn't take the job or weren't sure they would be able to do it the onus is on them to communicate that so other arrangements can be made. If my mechanic is too busy to get me in for an oil change (and it happens, and I know he isn't making much money on it) then he will just tell me and I'll run up to the dealership and have it done and save five bucks to boot.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #59
Guru
 
tpbrady's Avatar
 
City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 506
Sunchaser,

I do that in Wrangell for the people that work on my boat, it's a combination of beer or a case of iced tea for the ones that don't drink and a couple dozen donuts. What that got me last summer was being at the dock the morning after I got in to pull the transmission, replace a seal (I'd ordered the previous week), and install it before the close of business. I give them a punch list to do over the winter when they can fit it in with the only goal of being done by April. Seems to work well.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #60
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post

I pulled my boat for a hull inspection. Found I needed a cutlass bearing and associated work. Had ACE measured up I would have called them first. That is 2 jobs they missed out on. There will be more they will miss. I live mostly in Fort Pierce, the wife and I have an extensive network. I will NEVER reccomended them.
All they had to do was call and not ignore, or be upfront from the beginning, rather than leaving me hanging.
So to be clear, they gave you a start work date 21 days away, said they would call, they never call and you never called them either before the 21 days were up to reconfirmed?
__________________

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012