Old 03-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Nope...never been screwed in 62 years.

Also, based on many posts back at me, despite over 10,000 posts mainly talking about experience in the boat business and how to fix all kinds of boat systems and how to operase boats....people that have been here for years still respond as if I were a newbie to boating and life in general.

I get the $200 gasket....and I own a Westerbeke genset. I may not like it...but totally understand why Westerbeke, keeps them in stock and why they charge what they do.

Not sure who isn't understanding what here?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #22

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Mule, I "get it". I have seen some pretty bad operators here too. If I had taken care of my business the way some of these so called "Service shops" operate I would have been fired. So, that's what I do. Luckily I live in a place where there are lots of boat related shops. If they don't honor their commitment or at least make an effort to, I start dialing other shops or get online. Several times I've just done the research and figured it out myself. When I get too feeble to to that I'll be at the mercy of these "operators". Look, I get it there are not that many providers out there so they may be very busy at times but they should be honest about it and say so. I have also had some, when they hear the year model of of my boat try to blow me off by giving an outrageously high price, so off I go to find someone else. I try to realize (since I'm not a live aboard) that there is no real hurry most of the time, so I'm willing to take the time to find a good deal and an honest operator.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #23
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
I too have a problem with Westerbeke part prices. Look on the side of your engine for a Mitsubishi number. Mine for example is K3D. Tractor supply parts are a lot cheaper.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
I too have a problem with Westerbeke part prices. Look on the side of your engine for a Mitsubishi number. Mine for example is K3D. Tractor supply parts are a lot cheaper.
Bingo!
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #25
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
A few comments.

1. It is common knowledge that Westerbeke marinizes Mitsubishi diesels.

2. It is easy to read the engine serial number off the block. The serial number identifies the engine model. Use that to find non-westerbeke parts for the base engine.

3. Take the injectors to any injector shop. They can test and recondition them quite cheaply (I paid $120 to have the 4 injectors from my Westerbeke 46 reconditioned a year ago). They can also replace them if needed for a quite reasonable price.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
"BTW, Capt Bill11, do you work for Westerbeke, Ace or is it your brother in law? I really got screwed here so why are you in bed with these guys. I was VERY kiss ass, until I got enough, not abrasive at all but you seem to be sooooooooo understanding for their side,,, they family??"

Well you figured it out. We are family. And you've really putting a damper on our Sunday dinner get togethers lately.

Capt. Bill (Ace) Westerbeke
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
My guess is that is exactly why Westerbeke parts are so expensive.

They keep just enough OEM stuff on the shelf in Westerbeke prices to let customers know they still care about them (probably don't want Volvo's rep). But they know smart people and service companies can keep these machines running with aftermarket or supplier parts.

When your business model is ...hey ...repair our gensets with any part you can find...but if you really need one, any time, any place....we got it for you...it's just gonna cost you.

Not all that hard to figure out and I admire them for staying I business this long with a decent product.

I would buy another to replace mine.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #28
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Westerbeke has to be competitive on the OEM market, where price competition is fierce. Where to make some income?? Repair parts. The reality is for them to stay in business, and I hope they do, they have to make some profit. Just don't take that as far as Volvo has!!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #29
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Yeah, that had to be it. The diesel mechanics union is huge here in Florida.

Exactly what I thought

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 03-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
After reflecting, considering the great service my dock mate got on twin cat turbo problems by ACE I think they saw a 1982 Present sedan trawler with a 5kw old genset and the made me a non priority. Just wish they had told me to look elsewhere.

I learned something here. If the business's representative gives a comittment, they do not mean it (if it is not within pick a number, 2,3,5 business days) accept and keep looking for a better deal. When I give my word, I mean it....in the past....no more. I will look after my needs.... I was raised that if you gave your word, then that was it. The world has passed me by.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
After reflecting, considering the great service my dock mate got on twin cat turbo problems by ACE I think they saw a 1982 Present sedan trawler with a 5kw old genset and the made me a non priority. Just wish they had told me to look elsewhere.

I learned something here. If the business's representative gives a comittment, they do not mean it (if it is not within pick a number, 2,3,5 business days) accept and keep looking for a better deal. When I give my word, I mean it....in the past....no more. I will look after my needs.... I was raised that if you gave your word, then that was it. The world has passed me by.
I believe there are still people that will stand by their word. True it is slimmer but I know a few.....and live by that code.

The learning point here is if they break the verbal agreement...then it shold have been in writing (which I never really agree with either for just a service call ) then given a second chance of a couple days....then after that I give them in writing....if you show up and XXX is working the genset...tough ****, you were notified in writing on mm/dd/yyyy.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #32
Guru

PS. Nailed it, verbal and handshakes do not cut it.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
A great way to avoid the heartache and disappointment is to develop the skills and do your own work.

At this point I farm out big things like bottom paint, and do the rest myself.

That way the job gets done right.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #34
Technical Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
A great way to avoid the heartache and disappointment is to develop the skills and do your own work.

At this point I farm out big things like bottom paint, and do the rest myself.

That way the job gets done right.
You mean farm out the NASTY things like bottom paint!!

I still do my own bottom paint. Yuk.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
You mean farm out the NASTY things like bottom paint!!

I still do my own bottom paint. Yuk.
Yep !

In all seriousness...

Being in small town Alaska, I have found that I can troubleshoot something faster on my own than suffering the down time waiting for a professional to schedule me in.

No, I cannot do it as fast as a guy that does it for a living, but I can fix things quick enough, and I enjoy troubleshooting.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post

This - they are busy and knew that your job was probably a few hundred bucks at most - the other jobs lined up are worth thousands. You can believe a guy calls in with some work to do on his new sporthfish and you are getting bumped. The problem is he doesn't really want to deny you outright because it looks bad for his dealership but he really wishes you would find someone else hence the long wait time followed by long wait time...
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #37
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
This is the high season in this area as far as marine businesses go and with the low price of diesel this is a banner year for boat yards and such. Not surprising as to the wait time, however better communications would be helpful.

My experience is that it is hard for a shop or any small business to outright say that they are swamped and don't want to take on more work (small jobs) as they all to soon it will be slow times and they have that prospect fixed in their head.

I see an ACE truck in our marina several days a week working on transient boats often after hours and on weekends fwiw.

I recoil at Westy part prices but I don't ever recall not being able to get one overnight when needed, anywhere, so that's something.

Vero to Ft. P is no more then 20 min drive under the worst of conditions, I drive it all the time.

It sounds like you got fixed up a lot cheaper then it could have been, way to go, now enjoy the weather.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #38
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
By using a reliable yard for the past many years to do a variety of tasks, we have found they respond very quickly when services are required. Establishing and maintaining that kind of relationship has made our boating life very easy.

Like Mule, when away from "home" we have found little success when approaching a new yard for one time assistance.

Last week I called our local yard up and asked when the boat could be hauled and normal bottom work done - it is on the hard now and will be splashed tomorrow.

Cold calling a yard who doesn't know you from Adam and doesn't view you as a serious or repeat customer is fraught with disappointment. Using the internet to whine about and trash a company insures non existent service in the future.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #39
Guru

Well, I stand by my last post. If a comittment is made, I will not believe them. I will give back the same comittment and say, schedule it. Then I will keep calling and looking. First one there gets the job.

Ace did a great job, excellent service in replacing 2 turbos on my friends Egg Harbor 2slips down. I just was not good enough for them. I will remember this and when slow season gets here betcha I cost them some jobs.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #40
Technical Guru

Mule, the first hint was when they told you they were "extremely busy". Add to that many uncontrollable events that can happen in the engine service business. They could be doing a large job and have things go wrong, parts not show up, employee wreck the truck or call in sick, bolts break off, a long time customer call with an emergency job etc, etc.

Add to that the fact that in this business work seems to come in "waves". Buried in work, more work shows up, bust a$$ to get things done, then for no reason, a quiet spell.

When buried you have to prioritize. Those that come first: Jobs already under way, transients stopped due to problems, established customers.

Lower priority: Liveaboards not under way, folks that complain about $200 head gaskets, folks that badmouth your firm on the net.

Should they have communicated better? Sure. But when buried you simply CAN NOT do everything you should. That is what it means to be buried.

Did they make a commitment? No not really. They said "earliest they could be out there would be three weeks". That does not mean they would be there in three weeks. That "earliest" bit is relevant.

Now you have badmouthed a firm that seems to have a good rep. That does not bode well for you getting anyone else to work for you.