Old 08-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Is my transmission slipping?

Took a trip this weekend and due to time constraints was running about 3000 RPM on Yanmar 4LH-STP and Hurth 63-IV-2.5 transmissions.

About 2 hours into the return leg I felt the boat pull to port while at the same time losing a few knots. I thought I hit something but it all seemed normal so I powered back up. After another 5 minutes it happened again. Engines were at normal temps.

I took a temp measurement on the trans housings, stbd was 130 and port about 150. Trans fluid level looked ok and no discoloration or burnt smell.

Is it possible the port trans is slipping due to being too hot? The manual says 176 F at 2500 RPM so I don't think so but maybe I'm missing something.

Ran at 2000 RPM the rest of the way home, about an hour. and both trans cases were at 110F when we got to the slip.

Any thoughts?

The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore. Dale Carnegie
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. Owned wooden 1972 Grand Banks 42 from 1986 to 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Take your digital tach (of course you have one aboard. don't you?) and check the shaft RPM against each other once you are sure the engines are synched up. And check the cooler on that warmer tranny.

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
You may get a slightly different rpm due to ratio differences in the transmissions, but anything more than 10% is probably slippage.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Go for a run and duplicate conditions. Watch tachs carefully. If tranny slips, tach will jump and boat will veer (to port if port tranny). Don't watch tachs so carefully that you hit something.

Don't use synchronizer for this test as it can mask symptoms. Hand sync throttles. Looking for about 100-200rpm jump on the tach.

Nothing wrong with 150F case temp. They never run the same temp as one gear has more bits in play to get counter rotating props.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
All good advice, I will keep an eye on the tachs. After reading the manual I realized I was checking the trans fluid wrong. There are two kinds of dipsticks, one threaded and one not. You are not supposed to screw in the threaded kind, just leave it to rest on the opening. I might be low, since I had been screwing the dipstick in all the way which would give me a higher level reading. I'll check that this weekend.

If it is slipping, what damage is being done if I continue to use the boat?

The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore. Dale Carnegie
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. Owned wooden 1972 Grand Banks 42 from 1986 to 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Geez, Gary, I dunno, not being a tranny man, but could some pieces or grit from the slipping parts gum up some other really expensive parts like gearing?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post

If it is slipping, what damage is being done if I continue to use the boat?

If it is slipping, it will trash the clutch plates (inside the transmission) in very short order. Of course if it is slipping, it may be because the plates are already worn out.

kchace is offline   Reply With Quote