Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
RE: Motor Mounts

Here's the original post...

Does anyone have this sort of set up as far as motor mounts go?

There doesn't seem to be any vibration damper. the mounts hang over the stringers and seem to be hard mounted with just bolts.

I was thinking of changing the mounts to provide for quiet and less vibration.

I'm thinking if I changed anything I would have to reconfigure the entire mounting system.

The 4 th pic shows the actual mount as far as where the bottom of the engine is mounted to the stringers.

SD

The statement is...." I was thinking of changing the mounts to provide for quiet and less vibration."

So I take that as the owner thinks he should have less vibration and quieter operation.

Considering how few people have ever seen the setup he has....hard to say that a more modern setup for rec boats wouldn't give him what he wants and if willing to do a little research and do the work himself...it can be done for a very modest cost.

A lot of people on the board talk about upgrades before anything is actually broke...even if it is...they just don't replace in kind.* So why is this any different?* Maybe because many have never done this kind of work or would be afraid to tackle it?

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #22
FF
Guru

http://www.aquadrive.net/

One of the more interesting things about this system is it MUST be out of alignment , or the CV joints wont get lubrication.

Years ago the didn't bother to mention that in the install papers , so we lined everything up.

BAD MOVE , it lasted under 100 hours , but the drive folks made good , and we put bend in the setup.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #23
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

I wasn't really having an issue with the way the motor was mounted.

It was just that I read a lot about new motor mounts. and was thinking about after 38 years perhaps it was time to change mine.

The system was nothing like anything I have seen on any other boat. I thought that new mounts would make a difference in the*noise level. It isn't really that loud.*A normal conversation is easy aboard the boat.

I have inspected it closley and It isn't broken. So I am just going to leave it alone.

Thanks for the input I know now more than I did.

And thats a good thing.

SD*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Motor Mounts

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
It was just that I read a lot about new motor mounts. and was thinking about after 38 years perhaps it was time to change mine.
Quote:
__________________________________________________ _____
Quote:
I believe this is a "syndrome" whose cause just might be the various forums and magazines on boating. I've experienced this from time to time & made changes to my boat that were not warranted. One example was when, in Passagemaker magazine, Bill Parlatore was on his fuel polishing kick which escalated into a "water polishing system." I installed a fuel polishing system that I now know wasn't needed.
Quote:
When the seeds of fear are sewn, (My boat sinking because I didn't do something I read about in a boat rag or heard at the yacht club)* the first symptom is usually feeling a "lightening of the wallet."
Quote:
I've been trying to come up with a name for this disease but as of now, I have none.
Quote:
Any ideas?
-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 10:19:00 AM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #25
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Gottahaveitis

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Motor Mounts

Quote:
charles wrote

By the way, I am the guy who changes fuel filters every 200 hrs without fail, done this for over 25yrs on CCRIDER and never had a clogged filter. Never.

Almost without exception , when I suggest this, I get all kinds of excusses NOT to do so.

Not from me you won't :-)* I have yet to meet a mechanic--- aviation, marine, automotive--- who has said that clean oil, clean fuel, and clean filters are bad for an engine.* So I do everythng I can to ensure every engine we own always has all three.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 02:30:33 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #27
Guru

Motor Mounts

Quote:
charles wrote

By the way, I am the guy who changes fuel filters every 200 hrs without fail, done this for over 25yrs on CCRIDER and never had a clogged filter. Never.
******* I change mine every year whether I used the boat a lot or not.** Same for the oil filters. Most of the time my fuel filters are still pink, with no trace of contamination. The oil filter or the oil for that matter isn't even black. The mechanic says I'm wasting my money and I probably am but my engine seems to love it!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 02:50:15 PM
Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

The oil and oil filter Walt - maybe, as sitting around even with light use does see some chemical degradation in oil etc. But the fuel filters?...yup...definitely wasting time and money there Walt. How often do you (or your garage) change your car fuel filters...? Even Marin admits, with much higher usage than your boat, his fuel filters look fine - when he throws them away...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
Even Marin admits, with much higher usage than your boat, his fuel filters look fine - when he throws them away...
They do, you're right.* But in the overall scheme of things filters are virtually free so they all*get changed every time I change the engine oil, which has a target interval of 100 hours but sometimes goes out closer to 150 hours. The Lehman manual calls for an engine oil change every 200 hours.

I don't want*one schedule for one thing and a different schedule for something else.* The injector pump oil has to be changed every 50 hours but that's too soon for the engine oil and filters.* So I do everything else on the 100-150 hour interval.

A lot of people think this is far too short of an interval.* I dont care and what they choose to do is irrelevant to me and our boat.* Until the day an experienced mechanic tells me that fresh oil and clean filters are bad for an engine I will continue to follow our chosen intervals, expecially since the cost is not even a blip on the radar of boat ownership.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Fair comment, especially re the comparative costs, but thinking in purely practical terms here - ie in terms of how these things work, and Steve D'Antonio has mentioned this in articles in PMM - what about the known fact that filters actually work better - ie do what they are meant to do a bit more efficiently, when they have been in use for a while, and are actually 'partly clogged' with the stuff they are filtering out...?
Sorry, we have drifted off the motor mount thread topic a bit here, but I think we are mostly agreed the SD would be best to leave his motor mounts alone, as they will probably do another 20 yrs. I know I'm leaving mine well alone.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
Steve D'Antonio has mentioned this in articles in PMM - what about the known fact that filters actually work better - ie do what they are meant to do a bit more efficiently, when they have been in use for a while, and are actually 'partly clogged' with the stuff they are filtering out...?
I think Steve D'Antonio comes up with this stuff just so he has something to write about so he'll get paid.* I don't deny his experience (I guess) but from what I've read of his stuff I think he has elevated armchair theorizing to an art form.

I think I'll stick to the advice and practices of the aviation, automotive and marine engine mechanics and engineers I know personally.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #32
FF
Guru

All filters do work better as they get an accumulation of stuff , that serves as a pre filter and lessens thev work load of the filter medium.

Water is an exception from junk , and a filter that is partially water blocked is best changed as it is now smaller..
Old 01-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

Quote:
FF wrote:
All filters do work better as they get an accumulation of stuff , that serves as a pre filter and lessens thev work load of the filter medium.
You've got the right statement for the wrong reason.* Sure, a filter that is crudding up with stuff will capture more stuff on the exterior because that's where the stuff accumulates.* But this "lessens the work load of the filter medium" business*is not a good thing, it just means the surface of the filter is getting all crudded up so less stuff is pasing through it and the filter is that much closer to slowing or shutting down the flow of fuel or oil or whatever.*

A dirty filter is a dirty filter.* The flow of fluid through it is not dependent on where the crud is.* Exterior or interior, the point is it's gathering crud and so getting closer to being clogged.

Like I said, great armchair theory, not much relevance to reality.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #34
TF Site Team

No, it's not just armchair theory. Put it this way...the filter first captures larger particles than the actual micron pore size rating, as it were, but over time these accumulated larger particles actually tend to reduce the pore size to, in effect, something smaller, so more efficient at capturing even smaller stuff than the filter was rated for. This is all at the microscopic stage at this point, so hardly even visible if inspected other than faint discolouration, but there, none-the-less. We are not talking solid crud type contaminants here, but Marin, as you have said yourself in the past, really cruddy, dirty fuel, with significant contamination, is now thankfully largely only a bad memory for most of us in the parts we travel. Result being filters can now last a lot longer - best monitored by a vacuum gauge for the really fastidious. I don't bother - I don't do enough distance. I've had my filters replaced twice in 10 yrs, mainly because I thought why not, the mechanic is working on her, so may as well. In each case they were barely discoloured and the motor was never missing a beat, even at top rpm.
Maybe it is worth adding, I don't have a fuel polishing system. My primary filter performs that function, as the tanks both drain from the bottom, and I never have them more than half full, yet only drain ~1 teaspoonful of water a year from the bottom of the primary filter, and it also was barely discoloured at each change. So much for the condensation theory - at least in our climate. Am I just lucky? I think not...I am just not a lucky person. I've never won anything - sorry - I lie - I did once win 2 mugs for being closest to the pin on the par 3 during the annual Drs v's Chemists golf match in about 1980. Still got them actually - used one this morning for my coffee...so I guess that says I'm careful.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

In the 13 years we've had our boat I have never found water in our filters, ever. And our tanks are full, half full, mostly empty, completely empty, the whole gamut all year long. Our tanks all gravity feed from their lowest points into the day tank, which feeds the engines and generator from its lowest point.

However in Hawaii, where I often flew multiple days in a row, every airplane on the line ALWAYS had some water in the bottoms of the tanks in the first preflight of the day even if the plane had been flown multiple times the previous day and had the tanks filled to the tabs (so not all the way full) each evening.

And I still don't buy the "partially clogged filter does a better job" theory. I'm not going to say categorically that it's wrong, I just don't buy into the concept.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:And I still don't buy the "partially clogged filter does a better job" theory. I'm not going to say categorically that it's wrong, I just don't buy into the concept.
******* Glad you said it, Marin. I was thinking it but didn't have the guts to say it.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #37
TF Site Team

Motor Mounts

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Marin wrote:And I still don't buy the "partially clogged filter does a better job" theory. I'm not going to say categorically that it's wrong, I just don't buy into the concept.
******* Glad you said it, Marin. I was thinking it but didn't have the guts to say it.

*I didn't say "partly clogged" Marin.* I thought it was plain I meant 'used, in the sense of 'doing it's job', and which does improve it's filtering capacity for a time...up until it 'begins to get clogged' obviously, then the function starts to degrade, but easily detected by a vacuum gauge.* Now play fair.* You don't like to be mis-quoted either, I've noticed.*

At least we agree on the fact that a bottom draining fuel system is better than a lot of money spent on expensive fuel polishing systems, and Walt agrees with that also I suspect.*

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 26th of January 2012 03:06:17 AM
Old 01-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #38
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
*I didn't say "partly clogged" Marin.* I thought it was plain I meant 'used, in the sense of 'doing it's job', and which does improve it's filtering capacity for a time...up until it 'begins to get clogged' obviously
Okay, but if the fuel filtering gets better as the filter picks up crud, then it would seem to me a better solution would be to use a finer filter to begin with. Maybe this is why our diesel shop and the people I know at Northern Lights/Lugger all advised us when we got the boat to use 2 micron filters on everything.* Which is what we have been using for the last 13 years.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #39
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Motor Mounts

If a partially clogged filter does a better job then I had better start using the filters that the people around this marina throw away.....like hell!!!!
A clean filter does a better job than a partially blocked filter every time...no bull**** batman

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Thursday 26th of January 2012 03:50:26 AM
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #40
FF
Guru

"A dirty filter is a dirty filter. The flow of fluid through it is not dependent on where the crud is. Exterior or interior, the point is it's gathering crud and so getting closer to being clogged."

When the filter IT SELF is plugged , partially clogged , it will pass less volume, time for a replacement.

Collecting big crud on the SURFACE of the filter does nothing to block the flow to the filter , its BIG CRUD!

Most rec. boats change filters by calender , not by volume passed or restriction gauge readings.

This is fine , tho not as efficient in, dollar coats .

But if it saves a single tow home , "Pri$less".