Morse Control Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toocoys

Guru
We moved the new boat today. It was only my second time driving it. I HATE IT!

Well I don’t hate it, but I seriously dislike it. The gear shift and throttle are integrated. So you push it forward to go into gear, and further for throttle.

I’m used to my Chris Craft where you have separate gear shifts, and throttle shifts.

Since both cables are separate (gear and throttle) I should be able to buy different controls and swap them out right? Is it that simple?

ETA: I had to fix the damn thing on the first ride out because my starboard shift slipped out of the holder. So under the shift housing it slipped out of the clamp and was not letting me get out of gear and was stuck in reverse. I had to take it off the dash, unscrews the clamp, and put it back on the cable housing so that it would shift properly.

Last edited:
Don’t contemplate doing anything at this point. I was used to single lever systems on sailboats. I was very apprehensive when I first started driving my current boat that has separate lever for throttle and transmission. I think you will get used to it. After you do, then consider making a change if you still don’t like it.

Yes, you should be able to switch controls very easily. Just make sure you match the cable series ( they use the same cables ).

Before you change the controls, get them functioning properly and run with them for a few short trips before changing. Remember, if the cables make your current controls stiff to operate, they will make the new controls stiff also. Resolve the problems before deciding you don't like the controls.

For what it's worth, I have 2 boats, each with a different style of controls. With both operating in optimal condition, I can't say as I would replace one for the other. Both have minor pluses or minus depending on how you want to look at them. Just think you should give what you have a fair evaluation.

Ted

It’s not that they don’t work, I just like separate throttle and gear controls since it’s what I’m used to. I get scared knowing that if I travel to far one directions it’s GO! I guess I just need to put out some bouys in the middle of the lake and practice maneuvering it some more.

It’s probably just the vertical learning curve right now. When I put my Chris Craft in gear it moved almost instantaneously. When you kick this big floating shoe in gear it takes a minute to move. There’s a lot more early anticipation that you have to do on this boat.

Probably the best Morse single lever controls were those made for larger boats in the 50's and 60's era.

By moving the lever sideways it disconnected the shift function so ant throttle setting could be had..

A very rare find used.

I tried to google a picture and came across this site., which at our location tool 30 min to download , but its a 1950 magazine that could be great fun for some to enjoy.

The Morse control advert is there on page 69 , but the 1950 price of $94 is why cheap cast pot metal is sold today.
$100 in 1950 → $1,045.67 in 2018

Some early loop info too.

https://books.google.com/books?id=byBLCNla8I0C&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=1950%27s+Morse+single+lever+control&source=bl&ots=X216MISnjU&sig=KBCsWbJ1lq-F74-9r2M4HGkzBLk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi024uGqufcAhXIhOAKHRCvCgcQ6AEwD3oECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=1950's%20Morse%20single%20lever%20control&f=false

Last edited:
It’s not that they don’t work, I just like separate throttle and gear controls since it’s what I’m used to. I get scared knowing that if I travel to far one directions it’s GO! I guess I just need to put out some bouys in the middle of the lake and practice maneuvering it some more.

It’s probably just the vertical learning curve right now. When I put my Chris Craft in gear it moved almost instantaneously. When you kick this big floating shoe in gear it takes a minute to move. There’s a lot more early anticipation that you have to do on this boat.

I certainly understand the concern of moving the lever too far increasing speed. That concern will go away with experience. The up side to the single lever is never pushing the wrong level by mistake when focusing on boat movement while in tight situations.

When you look at alternative controls, consider other manufacturers besides Morse. After wearing out 2 units, on my charter boat, I switched to a different brand and much prefer the smoother operation and better tensioning control.

Ted

I'm told by many of our owners club member who have the single-lever controls... that they prefer those over double lever controls. A matter of what they're used to, I guess. I'd have a learning curve, too, but it can't be that hard. Probably dock the boat 15 times in quick succession (touch-and-go, a pleasant morning or afternoon), you'll likely have it down.

-Chris

I have micro commander controls and have grown to like them over the past two years. Because these are electronic, their is a half second lag between hitting forward and the transmission shifting into gear. I have learned to anticipate better and think a bit further ahead then when I had mechanical shifters that instantaneously shifted the boat.

What I like is that when using two handles, the throttles will automatically synchronize, or I can designate one handle or the other for single lever control. I think what helps me control the boat, is that I have lowered the idle to about 675 rpms, and at that speed, things happen slowly. Reduces the need for immediate action drills.

Gordon

I had single lever Kobelt controls on Possum. I loved them. Once you get used to single lever, you’ll see they are much better.

Most single lever controls will have a stop or catch so on shifting the lever will stop at idle fwd or rev , and it takes a push or pull to go faster than idle.

Most single lever controls will have a stop or catch so on shifting the lever will stop at idle fwd or rev , and it takes a push or pull to go faster than idle.

Not these. From idle it goes into gear, then travels about an inch before throttle kicks in. And its a smooth transition. No push or pull needed, although it does get a lot stiffer when throttle cables kick in.

I had single lever Kobelt controls on Possum. I loved them. Once you get used to single lever, you’ll see they are much better.

I had dual-station, single lever Kobelt controls on my trawler Boomarang. They were perfection. I don't think you'll find better than Kobelt.:thumb:

"although it does get a lot stiffer when throttle cables kick in."

Sounds like time to lubricate the cables and inspect for a crushed housing or too tight a turn.

Or even replace the cables. It's not uncommon for 20 year old cables to be beyond salvation, and the improvement from new cables can be very VERY impressive.

With ours, it happened we needed to replace the gear cables... so wifey could actually manipulate the levers... but results are similar: new cables, new lease on life.

-Chris

Probably the best Morse single lever controls were those made for larger boats in the 50's and 60's era.

By moving the lever sideways it disconnected the shift function so ant throttle setting could be had..

A very rare find used.

I tried to google a picture and came across this site., which at our location tool 30 min to download , but its a 1950 magazine that could be great fun for some to enjoy.

The Morse control advert is there on page 69 , but the 1950 price of $94 is why cheap cast pot metal is sold today.
$100 in 1950 → $1,045.67 in 2018

Some early loop info too.

https://books.google.com/books?id=b...e&q=1950's Morse single lever control&f=false

Have this control in my 1960-built boat, and love it. Almost never see another one like it.

And to add to the ‘you get used to anything’ story, it’s installed transversely (sideways) at my helm; push it left for forward, right for reverse. Seems odd, but became second nature in no time.

On my boats over the years I've always used Morse and when I was upgrading my boat I changed it a bit and used my own design.
I used a single lever Morse 1710 series for both the main pilot station and the flybridge which incorporates a rocker switch, the rocker switch operates the bow thruster through relays and it gives you single handed control over throttle/bow thruster with the other hand used for the steering.
I've seen some guys with the separate gear and throttle levers trying to manoeuvre at close quarters and its absolutely hilarious, like an old farmer trying to ride a racehorse.
You gotta get your camera and insurance papers ready when those guys are around.
TF member Parks Masterson supplied mine, very efficient and helpful, he'll look after you no trouble at all. Keep it in the family.

Last edited:
Hi Irish,
I remember working with you on that project. It struck me a a great idea. I don’t know why the marine industry doesn’t adopt that idea and produce controls meant for that.

Thank you for your kind comments Parks, it was a pleasure to work with you as you're prepared to 'think out of the box' and embrace new idea's.
For the type of boating we do (a mix of sea and canals) I find them to be just magic, then again I'm biased as to my own invention.
During our summer cruise we passed through maybe 350 locks, most summer moorings here are stern to and as we get older I'm keen to get my boat handling as near perfect as possible for safety reasons.
I find the precision that the single lever control gives me allows me to place our heavy boat exactly where it needs to be, the upside is that my lovely French wife's roping/securing workload as first mate is drastically reduced as we don't need to use springs anymore :angel:
As you all know well enough by now, when the admiral's happy, life's good.

We see many cruising couples passing through locks and when they cock it up each one blames the other, but they forget the empty locks are like an echo chamber and some seemingly genteel couples language would make a nun blush and you feel like handing out divorce lawyers cards :whistling:

Last edited:
Its not the control levers that manueve the boat precisely, its the captain.

Either type can be used effectively....

Good input which brand actually gets the nod from professionals for durability and smoothness....Kobelt.

Boy is that true, it makes you wonder though at some of the 'Captains' ability.
To each their own choice, Kobelt systems are quite rare here and as a result we're all familiar with Morse and, on the rare occasion spares are needed, they're readily available.
Horses for courses I guess.

I bet my brain surgery wouldn't be too pretty...especially if I did it only a couple times a year and mostly practiced on simple terms I set ahead of time.... like most boaters staying clise to familiar waters and their home dock.

Plus... after years of teaching people to drive cars, boats and helicopters... som3 people are natural operators, some are not and most people without a lot of practice will never get beyond the basics.

Last edited:
" some people are natural operators, some are not and most people without a lot of practice will never get beyond the basics. om3 people are natural operators, some are not and most people without a lot of practice will never get beyond the basics."

That's why cars now have lane control & automatic breaking , boats have joy sticks , and pilots have Air Bus .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom