Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #21
FF
Guru

White , Grey smoke ,with a cold, high time engine is normal.

The compression losses from older cylinders create incomplete combustion , till the engine warms up, the cylinders go back to normal and the rings start to seal.

Is the engine temperature normal, after 15 min of operation?

Has the engine been out of service for months?

Pull the dip stick and wipe it on a paper towel.

If clear liquid spreads faster than the usual black oil , perhaps you have some diesel in the crankcase.
With a small engine (quarts not gallons of lube oil ) a change of oil might be an interesting experiment.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Diluted by better then half with new fuel and the smoke is about half.

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #23
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Diluted by better then half with new fuel and the smoke is about half.
Sounds promising, hopefully one more fill will get rid of the majority of the problem. Hope your weather improves.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Where do you find the time and signal to reply to all these questions? (Let me restate that) Where do you find the necessary WIFI or cell coverage to respond to all these questions. ( At the speed you are traveling, you definitely have the time. :-)

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #25
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
I wonder if it could have anything to do with the sulfur content. Sounds like there has been no performance issue. Just a thought, as we will probably never know.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Where do you find the time and signal to reply to all these questions? (Let me restate that) Where do you find the necessary WIFI or cell coverage to respond to all these questions. ( At the speed you are traveling, you definitely have the time. :-)
Yep, plenty of time. Verizon just about covers the whole east coast with 4G. The smoke really might not be any better after all. I talked to Brian at American Diesel and he wasn't sure at all either. The thought might be some fouled injectors. As soon as I can get some I'm going to put in some fuel treatment snake oil. My fuel burn does appear to be higher.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
.............Verizon just about covers the whole east coast with 4G. ............
I bought a Verizon hot spot for my trip from SC to FL last May and never lost signal.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #28
Guru

I use the hotspot app I downloaded for my phone instead of paying V $1 per day for their app. Works perfectly.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #29
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Daddyo- Surprised with your comment on Sea Foam not making a difference, however 6 oz in what must be a 60 gallon tank plus (guess on my part). Usually a pint can to 20 gallons is recommended. I have used this as a normal fueling task, adding a cup full with every fueling which averages around 20 gallons. While not a full pint the tank is continuous being fueled and Sea Foam added. While I don't have the issue, I don't have ANY issue either.
As to water in the fuel being burned, I'd be surprised you have a issue with water assuming you have either a 2 or 10 micron filter with collection bottom.(Rathon?)
If both engines are taking fuel from a single tank then the fuel is not smart enough to affect only one engine over the other. If the engine showing white is on a seperate tank and you have determined that it is water vapor, I'd tend to watch the coolent level on that engine for a head gasket leak. If each engine is on a separate tank and both tanks were filled with the same supply, it would seem that the gasoline would have been purged from the hose into the first tank if separate, or if a single tank with any volume, the gasoline would very little difference and in my opinion, not cause white steam. (Speaking from 15 years finishing as a Chevron Sales Representative)

Al Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Grey smoke, in SE Alaska:

Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #31
FF
Guru

Diesel Fuel Additives - Stanadyne

This will usually solve injector problems that do not require a rebuild in an hour.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Daddyo- Surprised with your comment on Sea Foam not making a difference, however 6 oz in what must be a 60 gallon tank plus (guess on my part). Usually a pint can to 20 gallons is recommended. I have used this as a normal fueling task, adding a cup full with every fueling which averages around 20 gallons. While not a full pint the tank is continuous being fueled and Sea Foam added. While I don't have the issue, I don't have ANY issue either.
As to water in the fuel being burned, I'd be surprised you have a issue with water assuming you have either a 2 or 10 micron filter with collection bottom.(Rathon?)
If both engines are taking fuel from a single tank then the fuel is not smart enough to affect only one engine over the other. If the engine showing white is on a seperate tank and you have determined that it is water vapor, I'd tend to watch the coolent level on that engine for a head gasket leak. If each engine is on a separate tank and both tanks were filled with the same supply, it would seem that the gasoline would have been purged from the hose into the first tank if separate, or if a single tank with any volume, the gasoline would very little difference and in my opinion, not cause white steam. (Speaking from 15 years finishing as a Chevron Sales Representative)

Al Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
The 6oz was added to 120 gallons at the time, that's why no effect. I'm convinced it's not a gas problem after talking with the driver and now having added more fuel. Today I'll be stopping and getting some SF in proper quantity and see what that does.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #33
Al
Guru

Mark,
The picture of the boat in Southeast Alaska is ex-military This military class first had twin pancake GM diesels and when these began to fail, the common choice were 671 GM diesels. What you are seeing in this photo is typical "jimmy"- "Blue" smoke. Not trying to be picky, just know the class of boat and common engine installation

Al- Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere)Alaska
Old 04-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #34

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
What you are seeing in this photo is typical "jimmy"- "Blue" smoke. Not trying to be picky, just know the class of boat and common engine installation
Yep, exactly correct. This is the way Island Eagle looks, always. And if you look at my mast, you will see the black band where the smoke hits it, I've given up trying to keep it clean and instead I just call it "warpaint".

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #35
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Speaking of Alaska, I knew many people who would purposely add some gasoline to their diesel fuel in the winter to improve combustion, not much, maybe 1%
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:

The picture of the boat in Southeast Alaska is ex-military
That's it, the M/V Valkyrie if I am not mistaken. Giving some lucky guests a great SE experience despite a passing view of one of the least attractive sights in SE.

It has a pair of original 1945 GM 6-110s installed. They smoke blue from burning lube oil.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Speaking of Alaska, I knew many people who would purposely add some gasoline to their diesel fuel in the winter to improve combustion, not much, maybe 1%
It didn't improve combustion, it helped reduce wax formation.

The gasoline actually decreased the cetane rating and impaired combustion by delaying ignition.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #38
Al
Guru

Hummmmmm Well, Having been assigned with Standard Oil (now Chevron) in Fairbanks covering the North Slope during the initial activity in the 70's gasoline was not nor used in diesel fuel to dilute. Rick your observation on the wax is correct.You may be confusing J4 military jet fuel which contained a like gasoline component.
Civilian jet fuel was used as the congeal point for civilian Jet. is minus somewhere around 80 degrees Farenhite.
Automatic transmission fluid was subsituted for hydralic oil as it had a minus 50 degrees plus flow. When synthitic fluids became more promanate and accepted, then petrolum based hydraulic fluids, greases, and engine oil decreased during extreme cold. Just saying. Belive me folks unless you have need to be in that environment in the winter, thinking about petroleum flow rate is the last thing you are interested in!!!
I actually viewed a D-8 Cat dozer blade that had been dropped from a center high point directly to the ground and it literally cracked the ram casings. It was near -60 degrees at the time.

Thanks Rick, I had forgotten the 6-110's.nomenclature. But what is the comment regarding "Unattractive sights"? Only asking as a life long resident, a very long time resident I might add. Sometimes a comment such as this brings the observation that "One can not see the forest for the trees". which begs the inquiry.
Regards to the commentators. This is really a great forum
Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -
Well, unless Rick was being facetious I would say that a plain hill with trees on it is, compared to other kinds of scenery SE Alaska has to offer, one of the least attractive.

As to the Valkyrie, there was a boat with almost identical lines in the Bellingham marina for several years awhile back. It had been what the owner called a crew boat for the Royal Canadian Navy. IIRC it was about 80' long with a pilothouse, a stack behind it (same position as Valkyrie's) and then a long cabin. The cabin had originaly contained bench seating for the crews of the RCN ships the boat was ferrying to and from shore. It had two engines but I don't recall what they were.

The owner had converted it to a liveaboard but he did not change the boat's external lines. It was in great shape when he took Carey and I on a tour one day and he took it out regularly. He was not that old of a fellow and lived aboard with his wife and daughter until he had a sudden heart attack. His widow sold the boat and we saw it now and again (but not in the marina). Don't know where it is now.

I'm not trying to imply that this boat is the Valkyrie, only that the two boats appear to be of the same type.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Interesting ... but note the Valkyrie is towing its dinghy, possibly thanks to the mostly protective waters of SE Alaska.