Old 04-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #21
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Try substituting the word "gunmetal" when you search for bronze on the internet. Get all the UK (and purist sailboat) site hits.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
That's it Thanks

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
FYI, I found last fall that I had a leak on my PSS shaft seal fitting. The nylon fitting that threads into the shaft seal had a small crack. Easily replaced so I did it and bought a spare and a plug and ty rapped it near the PSS. I then thought it would be a good idea to check the fitting on the engine that supplies the water to the PSS. Well guess what? The brass fitting was ready to crumple into small pieces. When I tried to remove it, the hose barb broke off and I ended up using an easy out to get it out. Now I have owned this boat for 5 years so that should give you an idea how long a brass fitting will last in salt water.
As I recall, this fitting is the same size that you need and I did find a SS fitting with much difficulty. I found it at a local firm called Tacoma Screw and they had to special order it for me. Also I have a note that Grainger had it with part # BANJO HB025-038SS.
Also, in case anyone wonders why a plastic fitting is used in the PSS shaft seal. I guess the seal is made with some kind of gaphite and they absolutely forbid having any kind of metal fitting threaded into this seal.
Hope this helps,
Ron
What a complete report Ron. Just what I was worried about. None of the fittings that come with any of the dripless seals look like bronze to me.

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote