Merc Two stroke 15hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
Every so often I come up with a good idea to save money. The 'good idea' usually ends up as an inverse proportion of the saving, the better the idea the more it ends up costing me.

So it has turned out with my replacement outboard. Rather than buy a new replacement for about $2,200 dollars, I opted for a 'nearly brand new engine' for $1,440. Well it had to shipped down from Queensland(a long way) so add $400. Insurance, well yes that would be prudent, add another $60.

I gave it to the local Merc dealer to do a 'quick' service. How can a quick service cost $680? Well, some parts were missing apparently. It's still not running properly, the shop takes it back and decides it must be the Carburetor, $284 later it's not the Carburetor. They don't seem to know what the problem is.

So by now I have spent $664 more than the cost of a brand new motor, and am stuck with a dodgy outboard. I have tried hard to find someone to blame for this fiasco, unfortunately, I can only find one likely suspect, & he's a bit close to home. :blush:

Last edited:
Sheesh Andy. A $1900 starting point,unknown motor condition, + $ unknown for fitting the new motor, vs $2200 for brand new everything, with a year`s guarantee. I can`t come up with anything comforting. Except next time...think back.

Geeze, Andy. Sorry for your plight. If you were here in the US, you could have bought my perfectly reliable Merc 9.9 for $750.

Geeze, Andy. Sorry for your plight. If you were here in the US, you could have bought my perfectly reliable Merc 9.9 for $750.

That's a good idea.

Hmm, wonder what the shipping costs would be.

I have a slightly used RIB I'd like to sell you. :rolleyes:

Ted

Hell, I have an entire boat I’ll sell you! [emoji23]

Just kidding. Mistakes happen. I have an older 15 Johnson 2 stroke I gave up on sitting in my garage. I finally threw in the towel and bought a new Suzuki 4 stroke with EFI, which has been very nice so far just FYI.

So, do you cut your losses, own the mistake and get a new outboard, or continue to put money into this one?

Greetings,
"So, do you cut your losses, own the mistake and get a new outboard, or continue to put money into this one?" I would find a new "dealer" or better, someone who knows what they're doing...

Yuk. Tough one. You are upside down with that motor, for sure. But what to do now?

The 15 still has value, so get it fixed up. Parts are not very expensive for these and the motor is actually pretty good.

If you did not fix it up, it would have very little value.

I'd try to find a shop or an independent mech that doesn't gouge you!!

Many folks really desire these little two strokes as they are very light and pretty smooth compared to four stroke two cylinders (which suck).

I've got the 8hp version of the same motor, it is truly a gem.

Yuk. Tough one. You are upside down with that motor, for sure. But what to do now?

The 15 still has value, so get it fixed up. Parts are not very expensive for these and the motor is actually pretty good.

If you did not fix it up, it would have very little value.

I'd try to find a shop or an independent mech that doesn't gouge you!!

Many folks really desire these little two strokes as they are very light and pretty smooth compared to four stroke two cylinders (which suck).

I've got the 8hp version of the same motor, it is truly a gem.

I love my 15hp 2 st merc. It has the on tiller control for throttle/shift and shut down, and it has been quite reliable. Far more fuel efficient than the similar 2 st yamaha (did a direct compare one day), its just 74 lbs and MUCH easier to use than motors with the shifter not on the stalk. About 10 years on the last impeller. I will say that the fuel enrichment system had an issue in the distant past. It is not trivial to understand.

I started using an outboard in 1955. From then until now, I have known 2 cycle outboards to be a money hole and unreliable. I never approach one with any confidence it will start. I have a Merc I used on a Livingston used as a utility boat around the dock. I replaced it with an electric and haven't been able to give the Merc away. Now it's wall art.

I started using an outboard in 1955. From then until now, I have known 2 cycle outboards to be a money hole and unreliable. I never approach one with any confidence it will start. I have a Merc I used on a Livingston used as a utility boat around the dock. I replaced it with an electric and haven't been able to give the Merc away. Now it's wall art.

:whistling:Maybe you're just unlucky and get outboards with inferior metal :rofl:

Last edited:
Every so often I come up with a good idea to save money. The 'good idea' usually ends up as an inverse proportion of the saving, the better the idea the more it ends up costing me.

So it has turned out with my replacement outboard. Rather than buy a new replacement for about $2,200 dollars, I opted for a 'nearly brand new engine' for $1,440. Well it had to shipped down from Queensland(a long way) so add $400. Insurance, well yes that would be prudent, add another $60.

I gave it to the local Merc dealer to do a 'quick' service. How can a quick service cost $680? Well, some parts were missing apparently. It's still not running properly, the shop takes it back and decides it must be the Carburetor, $284 later it's not the Carburetor. They don't seem to know what the problem is.

So by now I have spent $664 more than the cost of a brand new motor, and am stuck with a dodgy outboard. I have tried hard to find someone to blame for this fiasco, unfortunately, I can only find one likely suspect, & he's a bit close to home. :blush:

Postscipt:

Well, after fronting the world's most expensive Merc mechanic & demanding he accompany me on the RIB to witness for himself the dire state of our outboard and his less than spectacular ability to sort out the issue, he reluctantly agrees. No more pathetic excuses, he will be held to account!

We set off, first at idle and then up through the power range, to max revs- the damm thing behaves impeccably, never misses a beat. I desperately try to slow down & fasten up to throw the motor off balance, not a chance. She runs like clockwork. He looks at me and says"OK mate stop stuffing me around, I've got work to do".

Sigh, I think this outboard hates me. I know what's going to happen when we are alone together out on the ocean. Paranoid, me? :blush:

Sometimes you mount the tiger and it`s near impossible to get off without getting bitten. Put this one down to experience. Who knows, the beast may have been tamed. But just in case,to begin, protected waters, swimming/rowing distance back to dear old Sarawana.

Another problem. Do you keep it or sell it while it’s running good? :D

balky 2 stroke and winter putaway strategy

Talking about 2 strokes: just finished rebuilding the carb on my 1991 Nissan 2 hp 2 stroke outboard and it runs great.
now to put it away for the winter, i freshwater flushed and emptied the builtin fuel tank and ran it till it stopped out of gas

The question: if i run till it sputters out of gas, is the float chamber empty?
or should i have taken off the shroud and unscrewed the little float bowl screw drain under the float?

I dont want to have to redo the carb again this coming spring

bruce adornato
freeport maine/san francisco

Greetings,
Mr. a. What I do with 2 strokes to "winterize" is pretty well what you have done with the exception of adding a fuel stabilizer to the last of the gas that I burn. You might also do that at this point since it only entails treating a bit of gas and restarting the motor and running dry again. If it is easy for you to pull the plug on the fuel bowl, I would recommend it.

This is just an example of the stabilizer I use: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CRC06161

Love 2ST Outboards

I love 2ST outboards, especially the Merc! Very simple design, light weight, easy to maintain and keep running. I bought a brand new 2003 15 HP Merc last year (sold the 2001 8 HP Merc with the old dinghy, that ran flawlessly btw) and it runs like a top. These engines will rust out before they wear out. Most problems stem from dirty carburetors. In the States, ethanol is added to the gas, which ruins everything if you keep it more than 3 months. My solution (which works very well) is to use 100 octane, low lead, aviation gas. Apparently, airplanes don't like ethanol so the FAA doesn't permit ethanol in aviation fuel. Aviation fuel is very stable and the water found in ethanol doesn't separate out, so it doesn't rust and gum up carburetors. I can get multiple seasons out of a tank of AV gas without any trouble. with last year's gas, my 15 HP Merc fired up on the 1st pull.

RT has a new photo. I like them both.

Back
Top Bottom